Print Thread
Was anyone really turned away? #38725 12/06/98 08:17 PM
J
JTimothyA Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
J
Numbers published to date indicate there were 700 attendees at the Rhode Island reunion, and the event sold out in 3 hours on 2/7/98.

I seem to recall several folks mentioning they initially got put on a waiting list and were soon accomodated at the 'overflow' hotel.

How many people would have atteneded if registration was unlimited? Any official word from HL, or otherwise hearsay? Anyone reading this message who could have attended and would have attended but for registration closing at 700?

Rgds,
__
/im [registrant #75]

Re: Was anyone really turned away? #38726 12/07/98 11:18 AM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
I was told by HL that the waiting list was quite long.
I started collecting in August and didn't try to get on the REUNION waiting list until then.

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Was anyone really turned away? #38727 12/08/98 01:49 PM
Todd Shorkey Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Manned with only a single phone line and telephone, I tried my best to break through the congested lines to reach the offices of HL, and reserve my place at the reunion. A number of hours later, finally breaking through, I was told all was full up at the inn, but I could be placed on the waiting list. I didn't get an exact number of how many were on the list, but it was enough that the chances of getting to me were slim to none.

So my answer is yes, If there would have been unlimited attendance, I would have went. Even if that would have meant big crowds, standing in long lines, less events to participate in, ect. My love of Harbour Lights far outweighs any negitive feelings about any of the above hassles.

-Todd

Re: Was anyone really turned away? #38728 12/08/98 08:45 PM
B
Bob St Clair Offline
B
I would have attended reunion, but could not get through on the telephone to make arrangments.

I think if regional reunions can not be arranged that only those who have not been able to attend a reunion should be able to register the ist day of registration. After 24 hours open registration to all parties.

It always sounds easy.......right?????

Bob
Re: Was anyone really turned away? #38729 12/08/98 10:33 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
I was originally on the waiting list. One week later I was successful and managed to get on the list as a "daytime attendee." I only lived 15 minutes away so that was fine with me. After experiencing this last reunion, I wouldn't want to miss the next one!

Re: Was anyone really turned away? #38730 12/09/98 01:37 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
We also had a very difficult time getting through to HL. We were dialing from a hotel phone because I had been attending another conference (which I skipped that morning). After many hours of repeat dialing we finally got through only to be told by an answering machine that HL was no taking registrations at this number. We could not understand this!

We checked out of the hotel and raced home (an hours drive) to try again. This time when we called we got through to a live person at HL. They informed us of the mix up by the phone company routing the calls to a private residence.

We were also put on a waiting list of "day attendees". I don't recall how long that list was but remember being told it was getting lengthy.

Within a few weeks we received a call that we could indeed attend as "day attendees" only and would need to arrange our own housing. HL was very helpful in suppling names and phone numbers of the area hotels.

Obviously we were very grateful that HL made the decision to open the reunion to more people! Being "day attendees" didn't spoil our reunion experience and in the long run made the trip cheaper. (The hotel wanted our suite on Saturday night so they moved us to another room and gave us a free nights stay!)

It would be interesting to know if anyone was turned away.

Re: Was anyone really turned away? #38731 12/09/98 02:28 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
I don't know what the original planned number was going to be, but it was something more than the 480 from 1997 and less than 700.

It was the phone problem - with the 12th incoming line ringing into a private residence that caused HL to make more space.

(For those who didn't know the story, the private residence number began ringing about 5 am and continued. That upset the fellow and he started either A) answering the phone and saying that the reunion had been cancelled by Harbour Lights because Bill Younger had died in a motorcycle accident the previous night. or B) saying he was "Bill Younger Jr." and saying it was full. or C) Putting a message on his answering machine that the Reunion had been cancelled and to call back Monday for details.)

When I got that "I'm Bill Younger Jr.", I challenged him and he hung up. So I faxed a message to HL telling them what was happening.

Their decision was that if a collector told them sometime in the following 2-3 days that they had been the victim of this fellow, they would do their best to get them into the reunion. They tried to get the Westin to give them more rooms - no deal, even though there were rooms available. They did get about 50 rooms at the Biltmore and referred those 'day-attendees' to other hotels after those 50 were filled.

Harbour Lights had a 'rehersal' to see how long it would take to register people by phone and had Pacific Bell check their phone lines to make sure they would each roll-over to the next line.

Pacific Bell was the culprit on the phone system, but wouldn't acknowledge it in writing. In any case Harbour Lights accepted responsibility, in effect, by accepting more than the original planned number of attendees.

A week or two before the Reunion, there were a few cancellations and some from the waiting list replaced those.

Re: Was anyone really turned away? #38732 12/11/98 03:23 PM
D
DonnaJLM Offline
D
I couldn't get through to HL for the phone registration, but emailed my request to be put on the waiting list several days later. I was told at that point that there were over 200 on the waiting list, so I figured that I wouldn't be attending. Early in September I got a call from Becky asking if I would like to attend as a day guest (didn't even have to think about it!) Then I was able to go on the Cape Cod bus trip, took John's place on the Friday Rose Island trip (thanks, John!), so everything worked out great!

Re: Was anyone really turned away? #38733 12/13/98 07:42 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
No matter what happend on the West Coast, I was very pleased to be attending the reunion as a "daytime attendee." My number was 621, and I was notified within a week of the original phone-in deadline. So whoever was responsible for me being included in the chosen group, THANK YOU!

That's the word from the East Coast!

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Rock, Dave H), 1,375 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users