Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Reunion Attendance #38680 10/20/98 10:58 PM
Todd Shorkey Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Here is that dredded topic of who gets to attend again, but I've noticed quite a few comments about the reunion have dealt with the number of collectors attending, or more accurately, the desire to keep the number of collectors attending down to a manageable size.

While I haven't been to either of the reunions, common sense tells me that too many attendees would make for a less personal setting, detracting from the "Family" atmosphere. How then to solve the problem of getting everyone who wants to attend the reunion, to the reunion, whithout making it an unenjoyable, unmanageable event, and doing it fairly? Not an easy task by any stretch of the imagination.

Past discussion dealt with opening the reunion up to everyone, or holding a lottery to see who goes. Both of those ideas were not well received. F.w.i.w., here is an idea that I haven't seen posted yet. That is sure to draw the ire of some collectors and past reunion attendees. That I don't necessarily endorse, and that is meant to provoke some new thought about how to deal with what some may or may not conceive to be a problem in deciding how to choose who goes to the reunion.

As Harbour Light Collectors, we talk about ourselves as being a "Family". In most families, not everyone gets what they want all of the time, and sometimes we have to share with other members. Look at Bill and Nancy giving up their room at the reunion because the hotel was overbooked, pure unselfishness. Do you see the direction I am heading with this?

Some members of this Harbour Lights "Family" have been to one or both reunions, while some have been to none. These collectors who haven't been given the chance to attend deserve to share in the feelings, share in the fun of attending the reunion. So how about next reunion, whenever that may be, let a "brother" or "sister" who hasn't been to a reunion attend instead. Is that fair? Maybe, maybe not.

As I said earlier, this is by no means the answer, nor that this is fair and equitable, but only an editorial to provoke thought. Thought about what a person who hasn't had a chance to "be a part of the "Collectors Family" reunion" might feel like.

-Todd [ sitting here on my soapbox, braced for the onslaught of replies, drinking a cold beer, and admiring my beautiful "family" of lighthouses in the curio].

P.S. It was a conspiricy by two collectors and a secondary dealer that made me write this!!!

Re: Reunion Attendance #38681 10/21/98 01:24 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Let me not argue to your point, Todd, but to throw out yet another one that I seriously suggested after the 1997 Reunion.

Harbour Lights could hold 2 (or 3) Reunions in the next year (2000, or 2001). Same content, same goodies, same Reunion event exclusive, same program - different regions of the country, different lighthouses. (Exclude anyone from attending more than one.)

Putting together ONE such event takes many resources, but putting on TWO events doesn't take twice the resources; in fact some of the expenses would be less. (The cost of producing 700 exclusive pieces would be much higher per piece than producing 2100 of the same.)

Heck, (and they'll shoot me for this one), HL could put on 4-6 "Weekend Reunion Events" around the country with a traveling roadshow (like CSPAN's Big Yellow Bus).

Mudd [as in my name will be when you know who reads THIS post]

Re: Reunion Attendance #38682 10/21/98 07:12 AM
R
Rich Boyes Offline
R
I like John's idea of perhaps three reunions with identical programs in three different geographical locations in the same year. First, this helps to maintain a manageable size and personal atmosphere while enabling more collectors to attend. Second, it may keep the cost more affordable because more people could drive if they wish. Third, people could go to a reunion outside of their geographical area if they so choose.

In fairness to HL, such an ambitious schedule might make it practical to host a reunion series only every two to three years or so.

Re: Reunion Attendance #38683 10/21/98 08:39 PM
J
JTimothyA Offline
Saint
Saint
J
Forgot to mention, Todd - as part of their "He Ain't Heavy" World Tour '98 two charter buses full of Spoontiques collectors will be stopping by your house this weekend for brats and potato salad.

Rgds,
Boxcar Bill

[This message has been edited by JTimothyA.]

Re: Reunion Attendance #38684 10/22/98 07:36 AM
Todd Shorkey Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Shortly after that, the Scassis baseball team is stopping by for a formal dinner. The C. Spencer Collin collectors club is stopping by next week as well. I've planned a eucre tournament for the gang, followed by a tour of the Saginaw River Light Station and a feast of rabbit stew........

-Todd [never said I had the right answers, only more questions]

Re: Reunion Attendance #38685 10/22/98 08:30 AM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
You read my mind John. Regional Reunions
would be a good idea because I think Most members collect by region plus you would most likely be connecting with people you might see more than just at the reunions.
I'm sure you'll get complaints from those who want it to be exclusive and who want to get low number pieces. They'll just have to get over it.
How many people were on the waiting list for
the last Reunion?
I guess you can now add an ombudsman hat to your collection.

[This message has been edited by rscroope.]

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Reunion Attendance #38686 10/22/98 12:58 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
I got a cryptic e-mail from Kim.

Quote:
YOUR NAME IS INDEED MUD! I kinda wanted Maureen back to work on other
things...Now I'm leaning towards 2028 too! I'm pooped just imagining it!

(Isn't it nice to know people even WANT to go to our gatherings? That still tickles me!)

BTW: That's "MUDD" after the Doctor who treated John Wilkes Booth for the injury he suffered in his jump to the stage of the Ford's Theater. The good doctor was forever villified for treating the assasin. Thus "...your name will be Mudd!"

John "Mudd" Chidester [This too shall pass]

Re: Reunion Attendance #38687 10/25/98 08:26 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
John,

We were standing next to you John when you made the recommendation at the 97 reunion to Kim about holding possibly 2 or 3 reunions. Kim has a way of saying a lot with a look, doesn’t she. I hate to say it but we didn't think much of the idea at the time either.

Now that we have been to the 98 reunion, which was good, but in our humble opinion did not hold a candle to the 97 reunion. Now before you folks jump all over us, let us explain. There were two factors missing at this reunion, one was the intimacy and the other was the fact that there were too many people for the facility we were in. Tell me the elevator situation didn’t about drive you nuts! And that certainly wasn’t due to poor planning on the part of Younger and Associates, it was due to the folks like ourselves who were determined to be there and increased the numbers so much more than previously planned. Due to these two factors, John, we have changed our minds about your potential solution.

We have been fascinated at how many e-mails we have gotten from people saying they tried to find us at the reunion and couldn't. There were numerous people that we wanted to search out (some were expecting us to find them) and we saw most of them, but couldn't get to them across the very crowded room or extremely cramped tent before they had disappeared. One couple we were looking for and knew they were there, we never even saw.

The 2 to 3 reunions spread out over the year to us sounds like a decent solution the more we think about it. We feel it would give us the opportunity that most of us seem to be looking for; getting to know other collectors and having the opportunities to share with each other. Being spread out like that, it might even be less of a hastle and maybe even more fun for the staff of Younger and Associates. The family atmosphere is what you are looking for. We felt some of that family atmosphere this year from old acquittances and friends from last year’s reunion. It was just a shame that a lot of folks could not find us and we them.

We kind of made a conscious decision not to even seek out or take the opportunity to use up any of the time available to Kim, Maureen, Becky or Harry and the rest of the Younger group because they had so much on their platters trying to manage a group this size. We figured we have had the opportunities to have had a lot of contact with them in the past and felt it would be best to let some new folks have more of an opportunity to spend some time getting to know them. After all, they are a pretty special group of folks. (Kim and Maureen are two of our favorite people.) But, quite honestly, we missed not being able to share some things with them. If the group was smaller we really believe the intimacy factor would be a real plus from a lot of views of looking at it.

The costs could be greatly reduced on some portions for Younger & Associates as you said. More reunion pieces, more goodies, more Ships Store neat stuff, more T Shirts, more wonderful black and red jackets all ordered at the same time (incidentally both these jackets are wonderful - we love our’s) could bring some costs down significantly.

Of course, the transportation and lodging costs and logistics for Younger & Assoc. would be increased. But if one of the reunions was in San Diego area each time (or logistically close to Younger and Associates), that cost could be cut down a bit. And there are a lot of collectors concentrated in that area. The facilities at the hotel in San Diego were perfect for the reunion, as all you had to do was walk out of the door of your room and look down to see who was doing what (at any hour), or from the third floor, or second floor you could see what was going on in the courtyard, etc., etc. - they just need to add a couple more elevators. If you have a reunion at the same facility, all we ask is you find one on the east coast like it for us.

One possible suggestion as a result of observations from both reunions is that we decrease the level and numbers and activities during the weekend stay. That would be logistically much easier for Younger and Associates, not to mention increasing the desired intimacy factor. (Just hanging out with fellow collectors in the hotel was a high point during the reunions.) In 97 the morning “come and go as you will” brunch in the courtyard where we just milled around from table to table sharing with and getting to know the different collectors was an absolute highlight for us and we think as well the other’s that we saw there. We have heard from many people we met that morning throughout this past year. It has been amazing to us how bonds were formed during that short couple of hours. The breakfast on Saturday morning at the 98 reunion could have been somewhat the same (overlooking the hour). There was one thing that was a distraction from this happening. It was not at all a bad thing. Quite the contrary. But the wonderful talk the lady gave us on lighthouses seemed to stop many people from sharing with others at their tables. We didn’t want to be rude. Her presence was greatly appreciated, however, it seemed to be an inappropriate time for such a talk. It finally came down to us being a bit rude to her as the desire to share overcame most of our concern for being rude. I think the second half of her talk fell on deaf ears for the most part. Don’t know if you noticed, the noise in the room heightened dramatically as time went on.

As the membership is growing at a dramatic rate, just maybe an assistant for Maureen might be a key factor in making this all feasible. Right Maureen?

You know, the more we think about it, Kim and Maureen et al. We like John’s idea. OK - what do you want to call us now in light of our numerous old handles we have had!!! At least you know we are out there and care and we can’t wait to see the Big Yellow Bus for The Roadshow!

We have other ideas, if anyone wants to hear them . . . but for now we will throw this into the discussion . . .

SFBTW (sorry for being too wordy)

Michael and Karen Power

Re: Reunion Attendance #38688 10/29/98 02:50 PM
jakescol Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Whatever is decided, a big reunion everyother year or 4-6 regional events each year, something has to be done to keep the collectors together other that this super web page. Collectors have to get together to talk with others who have the same interests that they have. If this doesn't happen then the collection will still be there but without any "connection" You need to talk to other collectors to learn about diffrent things in the collection. At the 98 reunion we had the oppurtunity to meet some pretty great people. We had a great time regardless of the elevators. It really gave us more time to talk to someone else. We would have missed meeting several other collectors if it weren't for the elevators. For those who have not be able to make either reunion keep trying. I think that a reunion size of 98 can be handled again. When it comes to going on tours it can be divided up over two days instead of one if necessary. I also hope that if and when, someone will set up extra tours like Chidester did. That was an additional highlight of the trip. Thanks John.

jake

Re: Reunion Attendance #38689 10/30/98 10:31 AM
B
Bob St Clair Offline
B
John,

Now this is what I like to hear, people doing business with people.

Reunions held to various locales, allowing more attendance (hence GOOD GROWTH).

I would vote for this in a minute. Kim you have a big following and growing pains this is part of sucess and several reunions a year maybe part of nurturing that sucess.

Bob

Bob

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,208 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users