cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
NELL's Lighthouses, Hot Chocolate & YOU, 2004 - "A Huge Success" #38338 02/01/04 08:19 PM
RFoster Offline OP
OP Offline
On a cold winter day (the last day of January, 2004) New England Lighthouse Lovers gathered early for what would be another fantastic day together, lighthousing and raising funds for their preservation. This would be the fourth annual Lighthouses, Hot Chocolate & YOU event and this year would be a very special trip due to the fact Kim Andrews would be joining us.

This year the tour started in Westerly, RI at Watch Hill Lighthouse where the temperatures were in the 20s along with a 15 to 25 mph wind that made it seem much colder.

Luckily we were able to take refuge inside the keepers quarters after braving the elements for this photo op.

After climbing the tower at Watch Hill we headed for Stonington Lighthouse Museum where curator Louise Pittaway informed us of the history of this very historic place and showed off the recent renovation to the floor inside the keepers house. Now visitors are able to walk on the clear floor (hi-tech plexiglass and steel construction) located inside the keepers quarters, and view the cistern and well below.

Then it was off to Morgan Point Lighthouse, a private home in Noank, CT, for a very rare look inside the summer home of Jason Pilalas, of San Morino, CA. You can read about this leg of our journey via the following link (an article in .
The New London Day

I think that everyone wanted to stay here for the rest of their lives, as this place was absolutely gorgeous. The owner had to gut the structure since it had fallen into disrepair following the many years without a lantern room, when the building was used for storage by the previous owner. The construction of additional floor space off of the original footprint, as well as the very unique collections of bells and maritime artifacts is what makes this home so appealing.

The final stop on this years tour was Mystic Seaport, home of a replica of the Brant Point lighthouse on Nantucket Island, MA., where we toured the grounds and then shared hot chocolate and cookies inside the Seaman's Inn Restaurant.

Approximately 90 NELL members and guests made the tour this year making it the largest trip of it's kind we have ever hosted. Tom Pregman, trip coordinator and NELL Vice President, did a wonderful job of planning this trip. The monies raised during this trip were donated to the non-profit organizations that care for the lighthouses we visited.

I hope that other Forum members who were present post some of their pics and share their memories here in this thread. I will certainly be sharing more in the near future.

Ron
(CT Keeper)

Ron
(CT Keeper)
Re: NELL's Lighthouses, Hot Chocolate & YOU, 2004 - "A Huge Success" #38339 02/01/04 08:52 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Great news, photo and a nice story in the paper about NELL and LHHC & You. With all those ALF people there, I can't figure out how Wayne Wheeler of USLHS got the quotes, but that's OK.

Now someone, please share the OTHER big story from Kim Andrews...

Re: NELL's Lighthouses, Hot Chocolate & YOU, 2004 - "A Huge Success" #38340 02/01/04 09:39 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Oooh...yes.

Ron got the gold plated diamond encrusted St. Clair Range piece. There are 10 jewelry diamonds in the lantern. Beautiful piece! Congratulations, Ron!!! laugh laugh laugh

The trip was LOTS of fun. It was great to meet all of the Wackos who I talk to here, but have never met. I think I met 10-15 members. And Morgan Pt. is the most amazing house I have EVER seen. I have decided that in my life, two things muct happen:

1) I win the lottery
2) This light comes on the market and I buy it with my earnings. laugh

Lots of fun. I can't wait until next year! smile

Re: NELL's Lighthouses, Hot Chocolate & YOU, 2004 - "A Huge Success" #38341 02/01/04 09:49 PM
RFoster Offline OP
OP Offline
John, There are several things I was not happy with concerning The Day article. First was the fact the reporter writes the following concerning our visit to Morgan Point Light:

“It's not a historically accurate restoration,” said Ron Foster, president of the New England Lighthouse Lovers, or NELL, the Groton-based group that organized Saturday's tour. “But it's very livable, let's put it that way.”

This is not how it was said or what I meant. Our conversation was about the fact the building had been gutted (a necessity since it was in such disrepair) and the new owner and architect planned out a new floor plan and additions, not based on the same floor plan as what the lighthouse originally had. The new plan is not only liveable, it is downright gorgeous and very tastefully decorated with museum quality artifacts.

I also was saddened that she never mentions Harbour Lights, even after interviewing Kim Andrews inside the lantern room.

During the interview, when the reporter mentioned that she had contacted Wayne Wheeler prior to coming to the lighthouse I let her know that NELL is a Chapter of The American Lighthouse Foundation out of Wells, Maine, Tim Harrison's organization (she never mentions this either).

Also never mentioned are the results of NELL's annual winter tours, specifically the donation of monies to those non-profit groups who tend to the lighthouses we visit.

Don't misunderstand me, I am very pleased whenever lighthouses are in the news, as this creates awareness and support for their preservation. However, I do get upset when the picture painted by reporters is misleading or missing the point.

I look forward to others posting their pics of this event.

Ron
(CT Keeper)

Ron
(CT Keeper)
Re: NELL's Lighthouses, Hot Chocolate & YOU, 2004 - "A Huge Success" #38342 02/01/04 10:33 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Thanks for the preliminary report and pictures, Ron. I'll be looking forward to seeing more pictures of your adventures. The article mentioned "wearing pins announcing their names" - do you have name pins or was she referring to the Wacko Name Badges??????

You do have to admit she did get one thing right....
Quote:
Of all the fanatic subsets of “lovers” – model train lovers, covered bridge lovers, historic battle-recreation lovers – lighthouse lovers have to be among the most devoted.

Re: NELL's Lighthouses, Hot Chocolate & YOU, 2004 - "A Huge Success" #38343 02/01/04 10:52 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Congratulations, Ron, on winning the diamond & gold St. Clair Channel light!

And Greg -- you've got a few years to go before you can buy those lottery tickets, but keep on dreaming!

Re: NELL's Lighthouses, Hot Chocolate & YOU, 2004 - "A Huge Success" #38344 02/01/04 11:08 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I think she was talking about NELL nametags. They have our names, the NELL logo raised, and the optional "New England Lighthouse Lovers" across the top and our towns across the bottoms.

Of course, they COULD be talking about our badges, but I don't think she's dumb enough to figure out that they are not pins, even if she messed everything else up. :rolleyes:

Oh yes...and I hit 80 lights in my lifetime at Mystic Seaport. (If it looks like a lighthouse, and it has a Fresnel lens, then it counts.) I'm hoping to break the 100 barrier this year! laugh

Re: NELL's Lighthouses, Hot Chocolate & YOU, 2004 - "A Huge Success" #38345 02/01/04 11:56 PM
PFC Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
smile Another Great NELL Event! laugh

Congratulations to Ron and Tom Pregman for the fantastic job they did on bringing this all together! Everyone present had a wonderful time visiting all of these lights on a beautiful, sunny (just a little bit cold) day - brrrrrrr! What a terrific way to raise money to help preserve these historic lighthouses for future generations!

I would also like to thank Jeremy D'Entremont for helping us to gain access to the Morgan Point Lighthouse in Noank. Without his assistance our visit would not have happened.

Special thanks go to Kim and the Harbour Lights Family for all of their help and donations of merchandise to help in our cause!

John and Ron - I also do not understand how the U.S. Lighthouse Society and Wayne Wheeler got into this story. I personally told one of the reporters there that both NELL and APLS were Chapters of the American Lighthouse Foundation and that I was the Secretary of ALF. I can't believe that there was no mention of ALF in the story.

I have emailed the editor of The Day, thanking him for the story and nice photos but also to clarify the fact that NELL is a Chapter of ALF and has no connection at all to the U.S. Lighthouse Society or Wayne Wheeler!

Once again, thanks to everyone involved for making this a special day for us all! I am proud to be able to say that I am now a member of NELL!

All my best,
Paul Conlin

Help Save Our Lighthouses!

Become a part of the
American Lighthouse Foundation
P.O. Box 565
Rockland, Maine 04841

207 594-4174

www.lighthousefoundation.org
Re: NELL's Lighthouses, Hot Chocolate & YOU, 2004 - "A Huge Success" #38346 02/02/04 09:34 AM
Shirin Offline
It might have been a cold windy day but I don't think anyone can say it wasn't a wonderful day! As always, this event was a big hit. I had several emails from members waiting for me the next morning all saying how great a time they had.

Hey Dennis, did that photo turn out that we took for Dave at Stonington? In case it didn't Dave, I made sure Dennis saw that I had all of my Wacko badges with me. And I saw a few of them floating around with Bert, Greg, Dennis and others.

Shirin
Re: NELL's Lighthouses, Hot Chocolate & YOU, 2004 - "A Huge Success" #38347 02/02/04 02:34 PM
Elmer Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Hi Ron,

Great pictures and wish we could have been there. Have you thawed out yet?? eek

Dan

Re: NELL's Lighthouses, Hot Chocolate & YOU, 2004 - "A Huge Success" #38348 02/02/04 03:08 PM
Lorie Roe Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Thanks Ron for sharing your pictures and story.

Congrats on winning the gold and diamonds St. Clair lighthouse. laugh wink laugh

If only I lived a little closer to some of these events...

Re: NELL's Lighthouses, Hot Chocolate & YOU, 2004 - "A Huge Success" #38349 02/02/04 03:25 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Shirin,

The photo came out, but not very well. I have to get a new camera. The one I have is tempermental and works only when it feels like it.

The NELL event was great fun. I got to meet some new people (like Arthur & Margaret Minor who we spent the day with, Terry Webb who has a delightful new Lighthouse book available, Tom & Arline Pregman, Margarite & Nellie and others who I'm forgetting I'm sure)and also some people I've
only known online (like Bert Mtn Hrkr, Jeremy D'Tremont, Doug Bingham, Frank & Carolyn Carbone )and some people I've met before (like Shirin, Greg (Sea Girt), Ron & Mary Jane Foster.

We started out the night before by meeting up with 19 others for dinner at the Steak loft that Ron Foster reccomended. We didn't get to speak to everybody, but we spent a good bit of the evening with Tom & Arline Pregman and Frank & Carolyn Carbone. I had corresponded with them, but never met them. Great people. We also got to speak to Ron & Mary Jane Foster.

We also got a chance to speak with Jeremy D'etremont without whom our visit to Morgan Point would not have happened. Thanks very much Jeremy.

We met some others, but I'm not sure of the names at this point (I'm terrible at names).The majority of those at the dinner all spent the night at the Comfort Inn so we saw many of the same people at breakfast- where I apparently made some people cold just by looking at me in my shorts- I tend to dress very casually.

We got on the road and met up to pair off and fill up as many vehicles as possible to make the parking situation better since there were 86 people in this "little" group. We got to say hello to Kim Andrews here before we set out for Watch Hill.

We spent the day driving around with a very nice couple- Arthur & Margaret from CT. It's always nice to meet new people who like the same things as you- Lighthouses.

We got to Watch Hill and braved the wind (25-30 miles and hour) and the cold (low 20's at that point). We got a very nice reception from the representative of the Watch hill Organization and the Coast Guard who graciously had arranged for us to actually climb the Lighthouse- which is almost never done.

Here's a couple of pictures from Watch Hill-

Here's the Lighthouse-

Here's one from the Lantern Room giving you an idea of the wind-

We spent about 1 1/2 to 2 hours at each site.

We moved on to Stonington and the weather improved a bit- not as much wind, but it was still very cold. The Stonington museum Association graciously opened the Lighthouse and Museum for us. They had several people there to assist and answer any questions we might have had.

I got to talk to Doug Bingham here. He's one of those people I had conversed with on the Net, but never met before.

I also got to talk to Shirin here for a few minutes and got a picture for proof to Dave that she was wearing her Wacko Badge. My camera did not want to cooperate very much thogh. Caution it is not your eyes that have the problem, it's the picture (this is the best one)

Shirin With Wacko Badges-

You can see into the tower from the second floor of the Museum. Here we have Tom Pregman of NELL posing pretty in the window-

Here's a picture of the protective case that was purchased with the donation from NELL for the Fresnel Lens at Stonington-

You can get a better view of Latimer Reef Lighthouse from Stonington (it can be seen from Watch Hill also). Here's a shot I took of it at Stonington.

We left Stonington and stopped for lunch on our way to Morgan Point. I didn't take any pictures there.

I'm breaking this into two parts because I went over the photo limit.

Dennis

Re: NELL's Lighthouses, Hot Chocolate & YOU, 2004 - "A Huge Success" #38350 02/02/04 03:28 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Here's part Two -

We followed the winding road out to Noank for morgan Point. It takes you through a very old little New England town with beautiful old houses with intricate fencing and porches in some cases. There are signs on many of the house indicating the original owner and date they were built.

We got to the end of the road and walked in to Morgan Point. They view is amazing from both the ground and the top of the Lighthouse. The house itself is beautifully done. The Lighthouse has been restored on the outside and renovated with modern conveniences on the inside. It contains a treaure trove of Nautical Artifacts- plauques and bells from many ships, etc. The hardest part of this visit was leaving.

Here's a couple of different views of the Lighthouse-

The Lantern Room is a custom made reproduction to replace the missing Lantern Room. It has comfortable cushions to sit on while you can rest your drinks on the table made out of a Fresnel Lantern as you watch the sunset (or other events) at your leisure.

We left here and wound our way over to the Mystic Seaport where we were broken into 3 groups to go to the original Block Island Life Saving Station (Mystic Seaport made a deal- they traded a reproduction for a fire damaged original) . We also got a special treat here- we were allowed to go into and climb the Replica of the Brant Point Lighthouse that is on the grounds of Mystic Seaport. It had just been refurbished thanks to a generous donation of a benefactor who loves Lighthouses.

We got a tour of a whaling ship also.

We finally got to the Hot Chocolate after our tour of Mystic Seaport. Here we also got a chance to talk a bit and hear of the plans for future NELL events.

Here we were also treated to several surprises- Kim gave everyone on the tour a LLOM of Watch Hill and signed any that people wanted signed. Her second big surprise was the awarding of the Diamond Encrusted Gold St Clair Channel Light to Ron Foster.

He was so surprised by the presentation that he couldn't even remember what people had reminded him to say afterwards.

Harbour Lights also generously donated some very special items for the Raffle- a #9 Roundout and a # 9 Stratford Christmas Piece. Kim kiddingly said that she had broken into Bill's personal stash and stolen them to give away. There were many other items from HL donated to be given away in both the Raffle and Door Prize drawings.

I think I can safely say a great time was had by all. I had a great time- even if I did get to visit one place I didn't plan to visit.

I had slipped coming down from the Lantern Room at Morgan Point but didn't seem to have any problem except for a couple of stubbed toes. I walked around fine afterwards- both at morgan Point and at Mystic Seaport. I started to have trouble when I tried to stand up after the social gathering at Mystic.

I couldn't put weight on my left foot without much pain. It got worse when I got to the motel so Esther made me go to the hospital to get it checked out. Luckily they found no break, just a sprain. I feel much better today. I've been icing it and i have an air cast on it. I think I'll survive.

I want to thank Ron Foster, Tom Pregman, Jeremy D'tremont and anyone else I'm forgetting for making the NELL Hot Chocolate, Lighthouses and You a roaring success.

Dennis

Re: NELL's Lighthouses, Hot Chocolate & YOU, 2004 - "A Huge Success" #38351 02/02/04 03:55 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Thanks for the report and pictures, Dennis. I figured the shaky picture of Shirin was just a reaction to your amazement that she remembered her badges? Didn't she bring any lighthouse cookies this time?

Glad your foot experience seems to be not too bad. Need to be careful, though - Esther may not let you tavel any more if every trip out of town involves a visit to the hospital!

I know there are many more who wish they could have been there with you, even in the cold.

Re: NELL's Lighthouses, Hot Chocolate & YOU, 2004 - "A Huge Success" #38352 02/02/04 04:58 PM
Shirin Offline
Thanks for the photo Dennis. I just wanted to make sure Dave knew that I was wearing the badges this time. I've promised myself I would be much better about that this year. So far, so good!

Glad to hear you didn't break anything Dennis. Those floors were really slippery. I'm surprised there were not more of us sliding around on those floors.

Shirin
Re: NELL's Lighthouses, Hot Chocolate & YOU, 2004 - "A Huge Success" #38353 02/02/04 05:17 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Dave,

I'll try and be a good boy. I felt kind of foolish on Saturday when it happened and later when I went to the hospital.

I was fairly sure it was no big deal, but I guess Esther is once burned twice shy at this point.

Shirin- that's what happens when no one is there 9 months of the year. It doesn't get normal wear and tear so it stays highly polished.

Dennis

Re: NELL's Lighthouses, Hot Chocolate & YOU, 2004 - "A Huge Success" #38354 02/02/04 10:04 PM
MtnHkr Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Dennis is absolutely correct when he says that it was cold and very windy at Watch Hill. Sharon and I stopped on our way to the hotel on Friday night.

Dennis, posted great pictures of the daytime photos, here are two of the evening shots I took. Nice but not spectacular sunset.

If you look at that flag up on the pole it was straight out. One minute of filming made ones hands turn white from the cold.

Here are a couple of the Stonington Light. Not very big, but very impressive. The caretakers of the museum where very nice and accomodating to all who entered.

That's Sharon entering the front door of the lighthouse and a couple of our group up in the tower.

Some of our group waiting to climb the tower at Mystic Seaport. Another cold spot, but Hot Chocolate was waiting in the wings.

An indication of just how cold it was. You can see the bay behind the vessel is completely frozen over. Not unusual in a New England winter.

Bert

No mountain is too tall if your first step is belief. -Anonymous
Re: NELL's Lighthouses, Hot Chocolate & YOU, 2004 - "A Huge Success" #38355 02/02/04 10:12 PM
MtnHkr Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Part Two

Morgan Point. What can I say, This is one spectacular light in a very nice location. Even the Geese cooperated for the photo, but you can only guess when I say what they left on the lawn.

This ones for Dave. Sharon and I in the tower at Morgan Point. Fantastic views in every direction. Wanted Dave to see that we had our Wacko Badges on. Sharon had just put hers down with her jacket. But she did have it on.

Another view from the driveway.

This is a photo of a painting in the house that shows what the property looks like in the summer, but it also shows a view of the entire house as it is today.

Bert smile

Bert

Re: NELL's Lighthouses, Hot Chocolate & YOU, 2004 - "A Huge Success" #38356 02/02/04 10:31 PM
RFoster Offline OP
OP Offline
Nice photos Bert. All of you with photos and stories should send them to Penny Miller, NELL webkeeper, for posting on the Club's site.

It is great to read all of the posts about the wonderful time that everyone had at this year’s Lighthouses, Hot Chocolate and YOU. Thanks for posting your pics Dennis. I’m happy that you did not get seriously injured when you fell. I was glad to finally meet Greg, and his mother, who came all the way from Warren, NJ. Here is a picture of Greg, Kim and our 8-year old granddaughter Lexis. Both Lexis and Greg are Junior Members of NELL and I am proud of each of them taking an interest in our lighthouses and maritime heritage.

This picture was taken in the second story of the Stonington Lighthouse Museum and you can see that Greg has a Little Light of Mine of Stonington Light. He bought the last one they had and he got Kim to sign it inside of the actual lighthouse (very cool Greg).

As was mentioned above I was speechless after Kim’s presentation of the Diamond Encrusted Gold St. Clair lighthouse.

This little jewel is beautiful and this picture really doesn’t do it justice.

The special presentation box is a work of art in and of itself.

The planned NELL Spring Business Meeting and trip to Maine is shaping up and will include an 8-hour cruise of lighthouses from Rockland out around Vinalhaven Island on Penobscot Bay, visit to the Shore Village Museum’s new home and guest speaker Ken Black, aka “Mr. Lighthouse”. If you are not yet a member of NELL you should consider joining us for some great times raising the much needed funds for lighthouse preservation.

Ron
(CT Keeper)

Fixed the links for Ron...

Ron
(CT Keeper)
Re: NELL's Lighthouses, Hot Chocolate & YOU, 2004 - "A Huge Success" #38357 02/02/04 11:31 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Lots of great pictures here! Congratulations to all who remembered their new Wacko Badges, and thanks for your support of that program that benefits lighthouse preservation.

Ron, very cool new addition for your collection! Looks like you will have to display the special storage box too, as it is a nice looking piece. I can't believe Kim kept your prize a secret all day long. Had to be tearing her up not to spill the beans on that!

Re: NELL's Lighthouses, Hot Chocolate & YOU, 2004 - "A Huge Success" #38358 02/03/04 12:30 AM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Ron- Thanks for posting that photo. Now you can all see me, and not blurry like the last photo of me posted! I am wearing my Wacko badge, but it is hidden by my Stonington LLOM. I got two new LLOM Saturday, Stonington and Watch Hill, bringing my collection to 7. Yay! laugh

Re: NELL's Lighthouses, Hot Chocolate & YOU, 2004 - "A Huge Success" #38359 02/03/04 11:15 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Well part of your secret is out Greg. You're a handsome kid!

Re: NELL's Lighthouses, Hot Chocolate & YOU, 2004 - "A Huge Success" #38360 02/03/04 01:02 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Looks like a great time was had by all. Thanks to everyone for their reporting and great photos.
This NELL group really has some neat events. Wish I lived closer so I could participate too. Kudos to all those involved in the organization.

Dennis, as much as I'd like to meet you some day I sure wouldn't want to travel with you! laugh

Re: NELL's Lighthouses, Hot Chocolate & YOU, 2004 - "A Huge Success" #38361 02/03/04 02:37 PM
Shirin Offline
Hey Bert,

Next time I'm standing in your way for a picture just tell me to move!

Shirin
Re: NELL's Lighthouses, Hot Chocolate & YOU, 2004 - "A Huge Success" #38362 02/03/04 03:48 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Ron,

I'm sorry I didn't get to say goodbye to you and many others on Saturday but I just wanted to get out of there as quickly as possible after my foot started acting up. I wasn't trying to be rude.

Mombo I don't usually have this much trouble traveling- although they say things happen in threes so I'd steer clear of me for awhile.

Greg- sorry for the blurred picture. I've got to replace that camera- I've just kept putting it off because it works fine and then it doesn't.

Bert- great pictures and commentary. Sorry I didn't get a chance to talk longer with you.

Great event- NELL knows how to throw a party.

Dennis

Re: NELL's Lighthouses, Hot Chocolate & YOU, 2004 - "A Huge Success" #38363 02/03/04 05:24 PM
MtnHkr Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Dennis,

Let me start by saying I'm sorry to hear about that foot of yours. Those are painful problems and I don't blame you a bit for taking off and getting off that foot. Sounds like you did the only thing that makes sense.

Catching up on what we weren't able to talk about at the LHHC&Y 2004 is what these forums are all about.

Unfortunately for some or most of us, it is impossible to attend all the functions we'd like to go to, so the next best thing is to get on the forums and share our experiences with others and others who have gone where we couldn't share their experiences with us. I call it a WIN-WIN situation.

About your camera. I had an Olympus that died on me a few years ago while on a trip to Maine. For whatever reason it locked up and that was it. Fortunately I had a backup, but I did lose the pictures that were in that camera. I sent it back to the factory and they refurbished it for me at practically no cost and it is working fine. That may be an option you want to consider if you kike the camera. That was the case with my Olympus. Small, compact and easy to carry.

Bert

Bert

Re: NELL's Lighthouses, Hot Chocolate & YOU, 2004 - "A Huge Success" #38364 02/03/04 05:27 PM
MtnHkr Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Shirin,

No problem! I didn't realize it till I got home, but even if I had it is not a problem. It's always good to get people in the pictures. I'm only sorry that it was with your back to the camera.

Bert frown

Bert

Re: NELL's Lighthouses, Hot Chocolate & YOU, 2004 - "A Huge Success" #38365 02/03/04 06:13 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Oh, It's OK, Dennis. Back then, no one had met me, so it was good for safety reasons, but now you all know me, so what do I have to hide? wink

Re: NELL's Lighthouses, Hot Chocolate & YOU, 2004 - "A Huge Success" #38366 02/03/04 08:22 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Greg,

You never had to hide from us- we mostly nice people.

You might have to watch your back around Dave though. laugh

Bert I've checked into therefurbishing of my model- it runs abiut $275. I'm probably just going to buy a new one. Still researching. The problem is just when i think I'm going to buy something the camera works fine.

Dennis

Re: NELL's Lighthouses, Hot Chocolate & YOU, 2004 - "A Huge Success" #38367 02/03/04 08:29 PM
eskilady Offline
Thanks everyone for posting pictures of the NELL event - I am very envious of those who were able to go - wish I could have been there. But with the wonderful pictures, I felt like I was there but was much warmer!! Thanks so much!!

Eskilady

Eskilady
Re: NELL's Lighthouses, Hot Chocolate & YOU, 2004 - "A Huge Success" #38368 02/03/04 09:11 PM
Shirin Offline
Much warmer is an understatement! I was warmer went I went ice fishing in Wisconsin many years ago! That wind was something else this weekend. Brrrrrh! I took so few photos because I just wanted to hide inside all day.

Shirin
Re: NELL's Lighthouses, Hot Chocolate & YOU, 2004 - "A Huge Success" #38369 02/03/04 10:14 PM
MtnHkr Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Dennis,

For that price, you would probably be better off finding yourself a new camera, under warranty for a while at least, and fewer headaches. I think the problem about your camera working just fine when it's not important and not working when it is, is called "Murphy's Law". laugh

Seems that's always the case.

Bert smile

Bert

Re: NELL's Lighthouses, Hot Chocolate & YOU, 2004 - "A Huge Success" #38370 02/03/04 10:20 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
In addition to Shirin's statement, I have just 2 words:

360-DEGREE WIND. eek bbbbbbbbbbrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!

At Watch Hill, out on the point, my Wacko badge and its lanyard almost flew off over my head. It was COLD. It was WINDY. We are CRAZY.

I guess that's why we're called "Wackos"! laugh wink :rolleyes:

Re: NELL's Lighthouses, Hot Chocolate & YOU, 2004 - "A Huge Success" #38371 02/04/04 12:12 AM
RFoster Offline OP
OP Offline
I’d like to thank John Chidester for donating the entire set of New England Lighthouse Stickers and Journal. Many folks made comments about what a wonderful idea this is and how beautiful the stickers are. The stickers were definitely a big hit and helped us in raising preservation funds for New Englands Lighthouses.

Some of you wanted pics from inside of Morgan Point lighthouse so here are a few.

One of the many bathroom tubs.

Would you like to relax in this tub?

With the kitchen at my back this shows what you view from the kitchen. It is entirely open to the living room.

Even though the picture is dark (due to the backlighting) it does give one the idea of the beautiful arched ceiling beams and view out of the windows to Fishers Island Sound and beyond.

Standing at the windows and looking back toward the kitchen gives a perspective of the living room and Kim sitting on one of the couches enjoying the view.

Here Kim enjoys the painting that Bert posted above. I love the furniture and woodwork throughout.

Thanks to all of you folks who are sharing their memories and pictures here and thank you for the congratulations on winning the special St. Clair piece. I still cannot believe it.

Ron
(CT Keeper)

To fix the links...

Ron
(CT Keeper)
Re: NELL's Lighthouses, Hot Chocolate & YOU, 2004 - "A Huge Success" #38372 02/04/04 03:33 AM
Lighthouser Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Congratulations and a Big Hand to NELL and to each person who had a hand in putting this event together!!

Many thanks to all of you for taking the rest of us along by way of your shared stories and photos. smile

Judy

Judy
Re: NELL's Lighthouses, Hot Chocolate & YOU, 2004 - "A Huge Success" #38373 02/06/04 03:27 PM
Roxie Offline
How fantastic! Those photos from everyone really are a tribute to the day! Everyone smiling and having a great time! We hope to join everyone next year. Thanks for the detailed rundown on the day! Hat's off to NELL! We need more groups like you out there! Beautifully done! laugh laugh laugh

Marblehead, Mass. Lighthouse, you will always have a very special place in our hearts. ....We've made the journey as far south as New Jersey, as far north as Canada. Over 100 lighthouses visited.... and so many more to go.

Moderated by  WackoPaul 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Rock), 811 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users