Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Northern California Harbour Lightkeepers #38249 02/26/99 01:35 AM
P
Polly Offline OP
OP Offline
P
On Saturday, February 20, 1999, twenty-three collectors braved the rain to attend the first organizational meeting of the newest Harbour Lights Club. Our name is Northern California Harbour Lightkeepers

The newly elected officers are:

President - Fred Kuhlman
Vice-president - Norman Harris
Secretary - Polly Malik
Treasurer - Peter Robinson
Sergeant at Arms - L. W. "Twiggy" Holmes

We voted to be a nonprofit club however; we are still considering which lighthouse or group to sponsor. We will be meeting quarterly with occasional field trips throughout the year. Our next meeting will be May 15 in the home of Jody & Polly Malik in Tracy.

Fred amazed the new club when he announced that the guest speaker at our September 26 meeting would be none other than our HL leader . . . Bill Younger! That will be a potluck at the home of and Fred & Lou Kuhlman in San Jose.

There were several drawings with prizes including Pigeon Point LE, La Jument LE, Southeast Block GLOW, Spyglass series, Legendary Lighthouses book, and Christmas lighthouse ornaments for everyone plus several other goodies from Harbour Lights. We thank the following for providing prizes for our drawings: Harbour Lights, Scan Trends of San Francisco, Tomorrow's Treasures of Cupertino, Tiny Tot Toys and Gifts of Monterey, The Village Mouse of Capitola, and Fred & Lou Kuhlman.

Future field trips to Pigeon Point and Alcatraz are also being considered.

Re: Northern California Harbour Lightkeepers #38250 03/22/99 05:59 PM
D
Dove Point Light Offline
D
Tell me how to join! I'm in the area! I want to go to Pigeon Point-it's my favorite lighthouse!! Please post membership info for your group for all Northern California HL enthusiasts!

Re: Northern California Harbour Lightkeepers #38251 03/22/99 09:11 PM
F
FredKuhl Offline
Saint
Saint
F
Dove Point
E-mail me and I can send you particulars
Fred

Re: Northern California Harbour Lightkeepers #38252 03/24/99 02:28 AM
P
Polly Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Keep those card & letters coming!

We're new and enthusiastic welcoming those interested. Just place a posting in the Forum or e-mail directly.

Re: Northern California Harbour Lightkeepers #38253 03/24/99 03:11 AM
D
Dove Point Light Offline
D
I got my info on joining from Polly. Thanks Polly! I love the idea of a non-profit. The idea of a bunch of people sitting around and one-upping each other about their HL and meetings with Bill has kept me away from a Collectors Club . But a club like yours sounds fantastic! Real hands-on lighthouse stuff! And talk of HL! All in one place! I really don't know what other clubs are like, but I like the idea of a club with a goal that concerns lighthouse preservation rather than just keeping track of the newest HL release (although that is also important!

Re: Northern California Harbour Lightkeepers #38254 03/25/99 02:50 AM
D
Dove Point Light Offline
D
I assume you are talking about the Southern California club having the same agenda? That's fantasic! I have spent a considerable amount of time with heritage/genealogy societies where people sit around and talk up their ancestry. I personally don't think one person is better than another because he/she is descended from royalty, famous historical figure, etc. We are who we are, and that's it. It's the same with HL: people collect for all kinds of reasons-and my interest is definately geared toward LH preservation, education about LHs, visiting LHs. I collect the ones that I've visited or hold some other special meaning for me. I don't think I would enjoy them nearly as much if I bought them just to cllect the whole set. Besides, that many HL must be absolutely overwhelming! Interesting, but overwhelming (just think of the dusting!)

Re: Northern California Harbour Lightkeepers #38255 03/25/99 11:08 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
The East Coast salutes the Northern California Harbour Lightkeepers on their choice of Fred Kuhlman as President of their club.

Fred was an excellent choice and will perform admirably as the leader of your fine social group.

Could this be the first step in an illustrious political career? Governor Kuhlman? Senator Kuhlman? Will we hear, "Ladies & Gentlemen, the President of the United States....Fred Kuhlman" ? You got my vote, Fred!

Re: Northern California Harbour Lightkeepers #38256 03/26/99 04:10 AM
D
Dove Point Light Offline
D
O.K. BuyGlass, tell me about your club! Did you adopt a lighthouse? Or lighthouses? Do you guys do outings to the local LHs? That would be so cool! Which LH did you adopt? I have seen several S CA LHs. Do you have tons of members? I imagine you have a huge club, due to the proximity to LHs, HL Headquarters, and the proximity to the ocean (sea air causes the desire to purchase HL!) Has your club been around long? What kind of projects have you done on "your" LH (if you have adopted one, of course!) Don't tell me you've adopted Pt. Fermin!!! That's the one that got me started on HL! Pigeon Pt. started me in LH!

Keep the Flame!!!!

Re: Northern California Harbour Lightkeepers #38257 03/27/99 01:13 AM
D
Dove Point Light Offline
D
That sounds great! I bet it was fun helping with the signing! Did you get any insider info?? Your trip sounds great too-how long are you going to be traveling to the LHs up here? A long weekend? You will have so much fun!! Please post a review when you get back! Are you staying at some of the LHs overnight? Pt Montara and Pigeon Pt are both Hostels,Pt Arena has overnighters, but I think it is an expensive thing. And East Brother is a B&B! Let me know if you visit Yerba Buena! Have any of the 4 been to the LHs up here before? Do you have the CA Umbrella Guide? If you do, let me know what you think after your trip. I almost bought it yesterday but decided to get another book called Guardians of the Golden Gate (or something similar) instead. The umbrella guide wil be next, if you think the info was helpful (that is, if you have it!) I can't wait to join the club up here-but I guess I have to wait till May at the next meeting At least that meeting is the day after my birthday, so it will be a good birthday present for myself!!

Re: Northern California Harbour Lightkeepers #38258 03/27/99 01:25 AM
D
Dove Point Light Offline
D
Oh, I forgot! You *must* eat at L. J. Quinn's Lighthouse in Oakland. It's on the Embarcadero. Nice view of the estuary behind Coast Guard Island, there's a small marina. But the big attraction is that it is Oakland Harbor Light! They moved it, but it's the same building!! Go upstairs to the bar area and there is a deck outside with tables. On one of the sliding glass doors, someone stuck a USLHS window cling!!

Moderated by  WackoPaul 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,299 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users