2007 Door County Lighthouse Walk #37526 01/20/07 02:49 AM
W
WisKeeper Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
W
Door County Lighthouse Walk May 18, 19, 20, 2007

We are making plans for the Door County Lighthouse Walk. There will be a WILD meeting with dinner and prizes on Saturday May 19th.

Please let me know if you are interested in attending this event this year.

Suzanne Murphy
President, Wisconsin Lighthouse District (WILD)
Re: 2007 Door County Lighthouse Walk #37527 01/23/07 01:02 PM
5lights Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Suzanne,
Anything new on the event schedule for the Walk this year? The last 2 years it's been the same.
Climb Cana and no stop on Pilot.

Debbie
Re: 2007 Door County Lighthouse Walk #37528 01/24/07 04:35 AM
W
WisKeeper Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
W
The schedule hasn't been posted yet. You shouldn't expect to go to Pilot Island, it is a bird refuge and people are no longer allowed there. I have been to ten lighthouse Walks and every one has been unique. There is always something new to explore in Door County.

During the walk weekend, WILD has a nice dinner and meeting with a chance to socialize with other lighthouse enthusiasts. There are also door prizes to add to the fun. In the past we have had everyone over to party in our room after the dinner and also for breakfast in the morning. We will probably plan a Sunday trip to Rock Island to visit Pottawatomie lighthouse.

Suzanne Murphy
Re: 2007 Door County Lighthouse Walk #37529 01/24/07 11:11 AM
5lights Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Sorry...I meant Plum Island. whistling Kind of had a brain dead moment!
I always enjoy going up there-no matter what! My husband on the other hand was whining that it was the same agenda last year as the year before.
Not quite sure what he's looking for to be added. I do know seeing something new is better for him.
They used to do a stop at Plum and I understand because of the contamination cleanup that it was necessary to cease. They thought a year, but it has been two, so I thought maybe this year....

Debbie
Re: 2007 Door County Lighthouse Walk #37530 01/24/07 11:55 AM
Cana Fan Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
We may try to got up there this year, just depends on how busy work is.

We've been up to the Door COunty lighthouses so many times that we usually tend to leave the walk weekend alone. Probably the only reason we'd go would be to try to attend one of the few WILD meetings we can make each year.

Mike

Re: 2007 Door County Lighthouse Walk #37531 01/25/07 02:06 AM
W
WisKeeper Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
W
I have done different things every Door County Lighthouse walk I have gone to. Sometimes I have taken boat trips, sometimes not. Sometimes I have gone to all land lights, some times just a few.

In all the years going to the Walk, I have been to all land lights, hiked to Chambers Island light, Pottawatomie light, and Plum Island light. I have even found a lighthouse that used to be but is no more - Dunlop Reef. I have been on the all day boat trip viewing St. Martins, Poverty, Rock, Plum, and Pilot island lights. I have been on the Baileys harbor boat trip viewing Cana Island, Old Baileys Harbor light, and Baileys Harbor range lights. I have been on the boat trip in which we landed on Chambers Island and hiked to the lighthouse. I have stood at the top of the tower where the lantern room used to be. I have been on the boat trip in which we landed on Plum Island and hiked to the lighthouse. I have been to Rock Island many times, usually making the hike to Pottawatomie lighthouse, other times hiking around the island, searching for cave carvings, viewing wild flowers, bluejays, and migrating monarch butterflies.

The weather, sky, clouds, and temperature have been different every year. Sometimes it is in the 70's, sometimes it is in the 30's. Sometimes it is in the 30's in the morning and in the 70's in the afternoon. Sometimes it is sunny, sometimes it is cloudy, sometimes it is raining, sometimes it has snowed lightly. Every year my lighthouse photos look different.

Some years the causeway to Cana Island is dry, some years the water is up to one's knees.

On Saturday, Bailey's Harbor has a craft fair that is fun to go to. They also have a Scotty dog parade on Saturday.

One year, when the weather meant we couldn't go to Rock Island, we spent the day visiting Door County wineries.

I have explored the five State Parks in Door County and many town and county parks. I have found fossils and know where some good places are to go looking for them. I have climbed 3 ranger towers in Door County. I have seen dozens of deer.

Sister Bay celebrates Syttende Mai during the Walk weekend. They have a parade, bonfire and other activities.

Sturgeon Bay has had decorated sturgeons around the Bay during the Walk weekend. Last year they had decorated lighthouses around the bay. There were fun to photograph too.

If you like to shop, there are many unique shops to visit. If you like food, there are many fun places to eat, even some that the kids will enjoy. I know a place in Door County that makes the best hamburgers. There are two Harbour Lights dealers in Sturgeon Bay. I have been to Bill signings and to Kim signings.

One year, we met a nice couple in a store in Sister Bay and they told us that they had 9,000 daffodils planted in their yard. They invited us to come look. We did and the yard was beautiful!

Sure, the lighthouses are the same, but what you do and how you view them during the weekend can change. It is just nice to have them open and available to the public during that weekend. Plus, during Walk weekend Door County is still much less crowded than during the summer.

Suzanne Murphy
Re: 2007 Door County Lighthouse Walk #37532 01/25/07 11:47 AM
Cana Fan Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Quote:
One year, when the weather meant we couldn't go to Rock Island, we spent the day visiting Door County wineries.
One of my favorite thing to do up there. We go to Door Peninsula Winery every trip up.

MIke

Re: 2007 Door County Lighthouse Walk #37533 01/25/07 12:15 PM
5lights Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Haven't visited a winery yet. We always talk about it but haven't found the time yet.
I haven't had the pleasure of doing the stop on Plum yet or Chambers Island.
The year that we wanted to do Chambers Island-they were not landing, just drive by. I want to be able to be up close and personal, and also to climb it.
I agree that there are plenty of things to do and see! It's always an adventure.
We always make time to go down to see what ships are at Bay Shipbuildes getting repairs.
My grandsons enjoy the sturgeon! They are fun to look at as they are all different.
Anyone that hasn't done the Door County walk should really do so...great lights and beautiful scenery!

Debbie
Re: 2007 Door County Lighthouse Walk #37534 01/25/07 02:06 PM
Cana Fan Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Accoring to a small article in the latest Great Lakes Seaway Review, there are plans to start a passenger ferry between Sturgeon Bay and Menomenee Michigan this summer. Supposedly two boats have been purchased and are being re-furbished. Would be interesting to see if the route will go past Chambers Island to afford a view.

Mike

Re: 2007 Door County Lighthouse Walk #37535 01/25/07 07:31 PM
5lights Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I read that too, but forgot about it until you mentioned it! Will have to wait and see! smile That would be cool-wouldn't it?

Debbie
Re: 2007 Door County Lighthouse Walk #37536 01/26/07 12:01 AM
W
WisKeeper Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
W
I heard that the boats are not supposed to be delivered until June.

Suzanne Murphy
Re: 2007 Door County Lighthouse Walk #37537 02/21/07 12:32 AM
W
WisKeeper Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
W

CANA ISLAND LIGHTHOUSE FEBRUARY 18, 2007

2007 Door County Lighthouse Walk May 18, 19, 20, 2007 http://www.dcmm.org/lhw.html

Pam and I just got back from Door County. We had a fantastic time photographing Door County lighthouses in the snow this past weekend. It was a bit cold, but at least I did not fall through the ice on Lake Michigan!

We have found a great group hotel for our group this year! It has beautiful suites with fireplaces, kitchens, livingroom, and a whirlpool bath in every suite. It has a playland for children and a beautiful pool and 15 person hot tub. There is an excercise room and outdoor grills. And for all this luxury the price is very attractive.

We also found a great place for our WILD dinner event on Saturday May 19th! The food should be fantastic. There may even be another book signing at the dinner event. There will be some fantastic prizes!

Afterwards there will be a party back at the hotel for everyone to get a chance to socialize with other lighthouse club members, book authors, photographers, artists, and lighthouse shop owners.

On Sunday of the Lighthouse Walk, we plan to go to Rock Island to see the new Fourth Order Fresnel replica lens and to see the latest renovations to Pottawatomie lighthouse and property.

Please contact me if you are interested in attending our WILD club dinner event during the Door County Lighthouse Walk. Along with fantastic prizes all donations will go towards restoration and preservation of lighthouses in Door County.

Watch for our Super WILD Event in 2008 when we celebrate Pottawatomie Lighthouse's sesquicentennial!

Suzanne Murphy
Re: 2007 Door County Lighthouse Walk #37538 02/21/07 01:28 AM
MrsTLC Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Great picture, Suzanne. cool Wish we could make this trip but alas it's not to be. frown As usual I'm sure you will all have a great time because you have many nice people in your group. Have fun and I'll look forward to pictures that you all post.

Ruthie
"Where words fail, Music speaks"
Re: 2007 Door County Lighthouse Walk #37539 02/22/07 05:07 AM
W
WisKeeper Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
W
Information about the 2007 Door County Lighthouse Walk has been posted on the DCMM website

http://www.dcmm.org/lhw.html

Suzanne Murphy
Re: 2007 Door County Lighthouse Walk #37540 03/09/07 04:08 AM
W
WisKeeper Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
W
Wisconsin Lighthouse District (WILD) GROUP HOTEL INFORMATION during the Door County Lighthouse Walk May 18, 19, 20, 2007 is now available. Please email me and I will send it to you.

We will have a club dinner on Saturday May 19th at 6:30 pm. We will have an informal social after the dinner back at the hotel. On Sunday morning, members from our club plan to go to Rock Island via ferries and then hike to Pottawatomie lighthouse to view the new Fresnel lens.

Pottawatomie Lighthouse

Suzanne Murphy
Re: 2007 Door County Lighthouse Walk #37541 03/22/07 12:14 AM
W
WisKeeper Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
W
Our club dinner/meeting on Saturday May 19th during the Door County Lighthouse Walk is a bargain at $15.00 per adult! We have a great price for the all suites resort that our group is staying at too. Contact me and I will send the registration information to you. You do need to pre-register.

Suzanne Murphy

Moderated by  WackoPaul 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Dave H, Rock), 1,505 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users