Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A CLUB ROOM AT THE BALTIMORE REUNION #37342 09/26/00 04:30 PM
L
ladylightkeeper Offline OP
OP Offline
L
I have been thinking of this idea for several years and have mentioned it to both Kim Andrews and Maureen before. But now that the Baltimore Reunion has been announced, I would like to pursue this more seriously.

I think it would be not only fun, but also beneficial, for HL collector clubs to be very much “in evidence” at this reunion. I am hoping, if there is enough interest on the part of clubs, that HL will set aside one room just especially for clubs. Here each club would be given space and a table to set up their own display. This display could show the lighthouse projects they have been working on; photos of club Outings and activities; and even a nice photo display of lighthouses in their region with a pick-up print-out of directions for finding these lights. It is surprising that there are HL collectors and just plain lighthouse enthusiasts within the region of clubs who do NOT know that a club exists. Here would be a chance to promote your club and make Reunion attendees aware of your existence. Club promotional literature and membership application forms should be available on your table.

Such a room would also be a focus for just socializing and getting a chance to meet HL’ers from other clubs who you “know” only through Forums postings. It is a chance to trade ideas on successful club events, types of programs, Outing tips and so forth.

I have seen this idea of club rooms put into practice in an exceedingly successful way when I attend large conventions for our photography hobby. It strengthens the hobby or interest in general, promotes new friendships, and provides a cohesive opportunity to support common goals of the organization (in our case, lighthouse preservation efforts would be one of them).

I would urge you, and would appreciate you, posting your reactions to my suggestions on this thread. Give any other ideas that you think you would be able to do within the table space allotted to each club. I would most specifically like to also hear from the club President or representative here as to whether your club would set up such a display, if Harbour Lights will give us a room.

Unfortunately, as I have mentioned before, many of the clubs on the roster do not have an e-mail address listed for easy contact. It would be most helpful if someone in those clubs who has e-mail capability would be appointed to represent the club and have their e-mail put on these club descriptions on the roster. If this club room idea takes off, then it will be important to be able to contact the clubs speedily and economically via e-mail. You can contact John Chidester to update your club listing to include an e-mail address.

Another possibility would be to also have a wacko table, for those who are crazy or “wacko” over lighthouses through either interest or their number of posts. Wackos have asked for a way to meet each other, and a central meeting place in this room could serve the purpose also. This is going to be a big reunion and it will be hard to find people you know, much less find the new people you’d like to meet, unless there is some central place everyone knows enough to check in on from time to time.

If I get a good show of interest and support here on this thread from your replies, I will then send this thread on to Kim and ask her to please consider our over-all club request when she is allocating room space at the Reunion.

I personally look forward to meeting club members from HL clubs throughout the country. It would be nice to put a face to the names I see on this Club Forum. Please do show your support and interest by posting here. Thank you.

Keep the Flame
Barbara Hupp, Ladylightkeeper and President
New England Lighthouse Lovers (NELL)

ladylightkeeper
Re: A CLUB ROOM AT THE BALTIMORE REUNION #37343 09/26/00 04:33 PM
Rrronne Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
This would be a great idea. With no club here in Colorado (what a surprise, huh), I keep up with what other HL clubs are doing via the Forum. Plus, I would love to be able to met fellow wackos in Baltimore and this is an idea that would facilitate that. GREAT IDEA!!!!!!!!

------------------
Randall Ronne

Randall Ronne
President - Colorado Lighthouse Collectors Society
New Dungeness Light Station Association
Re: A CLUB ROOM AT THE BALTIMORE REUNION #37344 09/26/00 05:26 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Didn't a couple of clubs have tables set up at the Providence Reunion? Paying for an extra room at a Marriott could be rather expensive. Maybe you could squezze into a space already reserved. Keep in mind that there will be a busy schedule in place and taking volunteers away from the designated schedule to "man" the tables may be a little unfair.

Bob

Re: A CLUB ROOM AT THE BALTIMORE REUNION #37345 09/26/00 06:06 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Speaking of the clubs...

I think this a great idea. It would allow easy access to information about the various clubs out there.

This would be a great way to reward those clubs that already exist for all that they have done to help get the message out there about lighthouses. you can never have enough help in saving the disapaering heritage of our lighthouses.

I think that an effort should also be made to make space available to local and national organizations that are solely dedicated to lighthouse preservation.

These organizations could coordinate the efforts of the individual clubs and facilitate communication between all involved. It's nice to have one's own group, but sometimes more can be done if the smaller groups with the same main interest combine and work for a common goal. More could get done that way.

Dennis

Re: A CLUB ROOM AT THE BALTIMORE REUNION #37346 09/27/00 10:00 AM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
This idea was mentioned on the chat by an HL representative 3 weeks ago as a planned happening.

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: A CLUB ROOM AT THE BALTIMORE REUNION #37347 09/27/00 11:27 AM
R
RMau Offline
Wacko
Wacko
R
But not everyone gets to the chats. So I'm sure that they, like me, appreciate seeing the discussion here on the Forums.

Rick

Re: A CLUB ROOM AT THE BALTIMORE REUNION #37348 09/27/00 05:54 PM
L
ladylightkeeper Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Thank you for your replies so far, and please keep them coming to see if there is enough interest in this concept. I talked to Kim about this idea also right after the RI reunion.

I was at RI and did not see any club tables as such. However, I had sheets around for New England collectors to sign as I was organizing NELL the following month. I know Jim Johnston of the Great Lakes club was handing out some club material. And there were club notices on the bulletin board. So it was very informal. I am talking here about every interested club getting their own table to put out what they wish in order to promote their club -- a more "formal" presentation, if that's the word, of actual materials and displays.

Other than some club member(s) setting up the table initially on the first day or before in Baltimore, there should be no problem with "manning a table" It should not prevent any club member from attending any event or using their free time for what they wish. I do not suggest that there be any set schedule where a club member must report for duty. The displays should be self-explanatory as to what the club does; the promotion flyers and membership applications can just be there for anyone to pick up. And when everyone is back from scheduled events, it would be a natural for attendees to wander between the various rooms such as the Company Store; John's computer/website display; and a club room, to see what's around and to meet whomever is there. If club members all wear an identifying club shirt (as the TN group did so gloriously in RI), everyone would know who to walk up to in the club room if they had questions about the club. And club members, I am sure, would also tend to be near their club table automatically while they were in the room.

It is an idea worth trying; and a first attempt can be improved upon for the future Reunions based on success and reactions in Baltimore.

If indeed HL is already working on securing such a room for clubs, I will be the first to say a BIG thank you to them. And will offer them any help I can.

Let's hear it from more clubs out there, and please when posting, state which club you belong to -- if indeed you do. Clubs all want to help HL in carrying out their goals such as helping in preservation efforts.

Barbara Hupp

------------------
ladylightkeeper

ladylightkeeper

Moderated by  WackoPaul 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Rock, Dave H), 1,582 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users