Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Pottawatomie Lantern Room #37262 06/28/99 07:47 PM
J
Jim Johnston Offline OP
OP Offline
J
The lantern room is now back on the Pottawatomie Lighthouse. A brand new room built by Tony Hodges of Sturgeon Bay, WI. It took a week to get it up to the island and assemble it on the top of the lighthouse. Covered in copper, the shine will last about a month or so, than turn green, after that black. The galvanised railing is still in place, but soon will be replaced with a wooden one, which will be historicly correct.
There were about five volunteers during the week to finish the project. It was like putting the cherry on the sundae.
Jim Johnston

Re: Pottawatomie Lantern Room #37263 06/30/99 03:42 AM
P
Polly Offline
P
Jim,
Let us know if you have a link to pictures of the finished project. It is certainly something to be proud of!

Re: Pottawatomie Lantern Room #37264 06/30/99 04:40 AM
L
ladylightkeeper Offline
L
Even though I live in New England now, Wisconsin, my home state, still draws me back to see all of its beauty, and that includes the shorelines and the guardian lighthouses. Many congratulations on this historic and important achievement. You can be proud that your Harbour Lights club helped in this project both monetarily and with hands-on activity. This should serve as an example of what other clubs can and should do for lighthouses needing attention in their areas. Can you put something on the forum about how to find the light, when is it open, will there be a special celebration etc. I will put it on my list of things to see on my trip to Wis.this summer or next.

ladylightkeeper
Re: Pottawatomie Lantern Room #37265 07/01/99 01:53 PM
J
Jim Johnston Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I sent my photos that I took, up to the man who built the lantern room. We will be working on a link. Hopefully it will be mid next week. It was very exciting to be able to actually see a lantern room being put on a lighthouse. You would've had to been around in the 1830's to see the first one installed. I feel lucky to see this one, I would'nt have missed it for anything.

Moderated by  WackoPaul 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,040 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users