Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Spring Cleaning at Old Michigan City Day II #37146 05/06/02 01:37 PM
WackoPaul Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I started a second thread posting pictures from Sunday, since it would have taken all day to load up the first Spring Cleaning thread...

Day Two Spring Cleaning Pictures...

Roy ordered a Hearty Breakfast to have plenty of energy for Day II cleaning...
The Michigan City Historical Society graciously picked up the tab for breakfast for the Hoosier Lighthousing Club members...

Heather had a Great job!!! And she did fantastic work all weekend...

Dave using some of that Navy experience...

Kay giving the transplanted Day Lillies a drink...

Gary patching the sidewalk....

Dave and Doyne hauling in one of the railroad ties...

Paul cutting one of those ties down to size for the base...

Clearing out the Oil Building...

Jakers moving quickly up the hill with more to add to the trash pile...

My lovely wife, Sue, sweeping out the years of debris....

[img]http://216.46.163.97/images/spring/806.jpg[/img]
Docent, Bruce, (coming out from behind the sign) arriving for work... opening the lighthouses up for visitors..
Kat and Jake masterminding the project around the sign..

[img]http://216.46.163.97/images/spring/811.jpg[/img]
Director, June, thinking about the call she needs to make for some heavy trash pickup this week...

[img]http://216.46.163.97/images/spring/812.jpg[/img]
A big reason I am glad I'm a photographer at this moment...
The guys did a great job of replacing the rotting timbers, before the ship's tie-off (or what ever they call it) fell over...

[img]http://216.46.163.97/images/spring/815.jpg[/img]
This was some very hard work!!

[img]http://216.46.163.97/images/spring/819.jpg[/img]
It's starting to take shape....

[img]http://216.46.163.97/images/spring/821.jpg[/img]
The Sunday relief troops who joined the Saturday troops...
Front Row (left to right): Cheryl Sostaric (Highland, IN), Kat Waterson (Auburn, IN), Gloria Toering (St Joseph, MI)
Back Row (left to right): Larry Waterson (Auburn, IN), Paul Sostaric (Highland, IN), Stephen Sostaric (Highland, IN), Jake Toering (St Joseph, MI), John King (Jaker's teacher's husband)

[img]http://216.46.163.97/images/spring/830.jpg[/img]
Very Nice Indeed!!

[img]http://216.46.163.97/images/spring/831.jpg[/img]
Another Great Example of how it turned out!

[img]http://216.46.163.97/images/spring/832.jpg[/img]
These folks have something to be very proud of!!

[img]http://216.46.163.97/images/spring/833.jpg[/img]
The last of the troops get ready to leave for home after a job Well Done!!!

I wonder how big of a truck it will take to haul the trash away???

Spring Cleaning at Old Michigan City Lighthouse Day I

[This message has been edited by engbrady (edited 05-07-2002).]

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: Spring Cleaning at Old Michigan City Day II #37147 05/06/02 03:02 PM
ktamlin Offline
Paul

Great pictures. I think that a good time was had by all. Enjoyed meeting more of the wonderful people that are in the club and working towards a common goal.

Will be nice to see how things look with a little growth.

John & Karen

John & Karen
Re: Spring Cleaning at Old Michigan City Day II #37148 05/06/02 04:42 PM
T
TERRY BARFIELD Offline
T

This is for all those involved in the project.

terry

Re: Spring Cleaning at Old Michigan City Day II #37149 05/06/02 05:48 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
I'll join in with Terry:

A job very well done! And June won't soon forget.

Re: Spring Cleaning at Old Michigan City Day II #37150 05/06/02 10:21 PM
Randy Kremer Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Well done! Looks great everyone! A bad tooth prevented us from attending. Hopefully next time!

Did Roy actually eat all that food?!?! (LOL)
[This message has been edited by Randy Kremer (edited 05-06-2002).]

Re: Spring Cleaning at Old Michigan City Day II #37151 05/07/02 12:25 AM
2beacons Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Randy-Roy most likely ate all of that breakfast because after working on Saturday he had an idea of the work that was left to be done on Sunday. Yes, we did miss you and Karen. Next time we will save some of the hard work for you. LOL

Thanks Paul for posting the pictures of the work that was done on Sunday. For those that were there on both days we are sure that it was hard to get up this morning.

Jeff and I can't believe that you replaced the ties under the boat mooring yet on Sunday. I am sure it was incredibly heavy to move.

We had a really great day with the group on Saturday. It was fun to see how hard work can be transformed into a thing of beauty in a relatively short amount of time.

This is a great lighthouse that everyone should visit.

Also it is neat to see Stephen get another person involved in this lighthouse. After all, a teacher involved can get others involved if he sees it as something worthwhile.

Mary and Jeff

Re: Spring Cleaning at Old Michigan City Day II #37152 05/07/02 12:43 AM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
It looks really great. You folks did a super job! Obviously Roy didn't sign up for the "lose >30 lbs club"!

Re: Spring Cleaning at Old Michigan City Day II #37153 05/07/02 12:49 AM
RoyMcB Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Randy,

I will have to come to my husbands rescue. No, Roy did not eat all that food for breakfast. He did make a pretty darn good dent in it! We were playing a joke on him with our plates and Paul snapped a shot. He did however enjoy a hearty breakfast before a full days work.

This past weekend was absolutely the BEST
We spent time with some really wonderful people, and got to work outside and enjoy some terrific weather while doing something good for a lighthouse. Roy and I are very thankful for the fun time we had this weekend. We are looking forward to the picnic in June. We can't wait to see how things blossom and grow. Thanks for sharing the photos Paul. I can't wait to get my pictures developed.

Hope to see everyone soon. Take care,
Carolyn

[This message has been edited by Dave H (edited 05-07-2002).]

Roy & Carolyn
Re: Spring Cleaning at Old Michigan City Day II #37154 05/07/02 12:56 AM
Larry Offline
WOW!!! It looks like you had a fantastic turnout of hard working people. All are to be commended for a job WELL DONE!!!!

Re: Spring Cleaning at Old Michigan City Day II #37155 05/07/02 01:51 AM
MrsTLC Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Boy!!! I am truly impressed with all the work that was done on Old Michigan City. You guys are the greatest!!!
Ruthie

Ruthie
"Where words fail, Music speaks"
Re: Spring Cleaning at Old Michigan City Day II #37156 05/07/02 03:29 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
The really bad thing is I didn't paint in my Navy time - "not my job" - but we did choose a nice shade of haze or battleship gray for the former clothes line post. Had to clean up the post so it would not detract from the new decoration it gained..

What Paul didn't see while we were building the box around the sign was Jake & Kat doing a takeoff on the old railroad way of two people hammering on the same stake....

Notice the two hammers in motion. Still grateful we didn't end up with a workman's comp claim.

The folks kept bringing stuff up from the old oil building. Either that fairly small building had a heck of a basement or June had done a great job of packing it full to bursting! (Kind of like the old ads where you saw 15 people get out of a VW Beetle - no way all that "stuff" could all have been in the oil building!)

What a great weekend we had: fantastic weather, a great group of people and a most worthwhile project. As a group we had a really wonderful time, and I want to thank each and every one of our club members who helped during the weekend. Something worth noting is even though our club name is the Hoosier Lighthousing Club, we had our members and friends from Ohio, Michigan and Missouri join us in this effort.

Another big thanks needs to go to John, because it was due to the HL site and the Forums that most of us came into contact with each other. A common interest in Harbour Lights and lighthouses in general led to the formation of a club, and the chance to work together to help a deserving light. All the stiffness and soreness we are "enjoying" today is worth it when one realizes how much we accomplished this weekend!

Dave

Re: Spring Cleaning at Old Michigan City Day II #37157 05/07/02 11:36 AM
WackoPaul Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Oh yes I did see that old railroad hammering in fact....

What Heather is witnessing here is the trio of Jake, Kat & Roy driving in the final Golden spike, with no injuries ocurring..

I would like to add one more thank you and that is to all of the connected collected who have and will in the future support us by buying opportunity drawing tickets. It was through those funds. that we were able to purchase the materials and plants needed to do the job.
Each one of you were right there with the 27 club members as they were working on the Old Michigan City Lighthouse this last weekend...

Thank You!

[This message has been edited by engbrady (edited 05-07-2002).]

Re: Spring Cleaning at Old Michigan City Day II #37158 05/09/02 01:07 AM
Kat Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Kat and I had a great time at the Old Michigan City Lighthouse clean-up. The Lighthouse looks fantastic and we want to thank all our fellow club members for their efforts (especially Paul and Dave in organizing clean-up). After we finished on Sunday, Bruce gave me a tour of the lighthouse and I would like to thank him for that. Roy, Carolyn, Kat, and I were the last to leave. As we were leaving we found a short handled flat bladed shovel leaning against the fence. Bruce told us that it wasn't the Lighthouse's. Kat thought that it was Jake Toering's, and we felt that we would see him at an event, meeting, or Rosemont in the near future so we took the shovel with us. An Email from Jake confirmed that it wasn't his, so if your missing a shovel from the Spring Clean-up send us an Email and we'll try to get it back to you.

Larry Waterson

KAT {=*+*=}
Re: Spring Cleaning at Old Michigan City Day II #37159 05/09/02 10:52 AM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Great job everyone! Paul captured in pictures a lot of great stuff you were doing. You looked like you had a lot of fun too! This what it's all about. I'd like to add a standing ovation on behalf of myself, my family, and my club for A JOB WELL DONE! I feel, kind of selfish that we were enjoying a cruise at the same time you were busting your butts but you looked like you had just as much fun.
- Bob

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Spring Cleaning at Old Michigan City Day II #37160 05/10/02 09:25 PM
RFoster Offline
Wonderful effort, great cause, hardworking folks, nice pictures and a BIG THANK YOU to all of you for your dedication to preservation and beautification of Old Michigan City Lighthouse. My hat is off to you all!!!!!

Ron
(CT Keeper)

Ron
(CT Keeper)
Re: Spring Cleaning at Old Michigan City Day II #37161 06/05/02 01:35 AM
WackoPaul Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Our next project at the lighthouse is to build a spiral stairway to the lantern room of the lighthouse.. for more information go here:

Stairway to the lantern room

Moderated by  WackoPaul 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,025 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users