Our New England club will be going on its first Outing on June 4-6 to Portland, ME. Members had first chance to sign up. But there are a few rooms still available for anyone interested, in case you are coming this way for a vacation already, or even want to make a special trip to join our group.

On Sat. there will be a harbor cruise, going past Portland Breakwater Light and Spring Point Ledge Light; and if the waters are calm enough, a view of Portland Head from the ocean side. Our boat will dock at DiMillo's Floating Restaurant where we will have lunch. Then it is a short hike to the Country Noel shop to visit with Bill and attend his signing. Back into our cars to drive over to S. Portland for a tour and slide/lecture at Spring Point Light museum and a chance to walk out on the jetty to the caisson light. On the way back to Portland, we will stop off at Portland Breakwater, also known as Bug Light, for photos, as afternoon light hits it best from land views. Back at our hotel for "happy hour" followed by a dinner at Verillo's Restaurant, with an after dinner slide/lecture on the history of the lighthouses of Casco Bay, put on by Spring Point historian, Rusty Nelson. On Sunday mid-morning, we will again go over to S. Portland for a tour of the museum at Portland Head Light. The tower cannot be climbed though, as it is still an active Coast Guard lighthouse. I am attempting to get a tour through the Coast Guard of Cape Elizabeth Light, but will not know if this is possible until maybe only the day before. This is the beautiful lighthouse that HL put out; and that has been in all the newspapers out here in New England. The keeper's house is privately owned, and the owner is either renovating (locals say it is up on blocks now) or removing the building. Either way, it will never look the same again; so treasure any pictures you might have taken on trips out to this area.

If you are interested in going on our club trip (adults age 2l or over only), please e-mail me immediately, as I am about to send in a final room count by Friday, April 30. Price is $300 for a couple; $225 for one person. Reservations will be accepted in the order in which I receive them, until my room allotment is filled.
Please also read my previous message last week on our club fundraiser using your subscription to the Lighthouse Digest. Keep the Flame.
Barbara Hupp, Chairperson.

ladylightkeeper