Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
It's Spring Cleaning Time at Old Michigan City... #36754 05/01/04 02:31 AM
WackoPaul Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
The Hoosier Lighthousing Club will be at it once again in Michigan City, IN. We are gathering for our annual Spring Cleaning at the lighthouse. We hope to plant some more plants and finish up around the stairway to the lantern room, this weekend...

The forecast includes showers but maybe we can buck the odds and still get some planting in between rain drops. There will be some images added tomorrow night to this thread..

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: It's Spring Cleaning Time at Old Michigan City... #36755 05/02/04 02:04 AM
WackoPaul Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint

Kat displaying her latest work in progress... she is making this wonderful lighthouse quilt for the club to raffle off in the near future, to raise funds for our projects at the lighthouse...

We had a short informal meeting and then a great breakfast at Lindos before heading out to the lighthouse..

More boards going up to the attic to finish off the area around the lantern room stairs..

Kat starting in on the weeding down the flower bed that we added last year...

temperatures in the 40's , a lttle misting rain and a killer wind greeted the folks working outside the lighthouse!

Harold starts tilling the ground for a new flower bed... did I mention that it was cold?

Re: It's Spring Cleaning Time at Old Michigan City... #36756 05/02/04 02:06 AM
WackoPaul Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint

We learned last year that this was the best way to carry up the long boards to the attic.. We avoid any contact with items in the Museum, especially the Fresnel Lens on display right inside the front door!

Jeff was like a machine, grabbing and stacking them up in the attic..

In the foreground of the board raising is the platform holding the old carts, it is a project this Fall to replace the platform... the boards are all rotten and it has become dangerous for people visiting the grounds..

Sue and Shellie start working the ground in the new bed.. did I mention it was cold and windy?

Jeff and Heather are working on the area around the stairs...

Re: It's Spring Cleaning Time at Old Michigan City... #36757 05/02/04 02:08 AM
WackoPaul Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint

Susan is grilling the meat for the lunch cookout in the park next to the lighthouse.. did I mention that it was windy, cold and raining?

We did have a little shelter to huddle under..

The Toering's enjoying picnic...

Somewhere in all those blue coats is my lovely wife Sue.. at least I think she's in there!

Back at the lighthouse we even managed to fit in moving a couple of cabinets around to better make use of the space.... Kat came up with the idea of using a rug --turned upside down-- to slide the cabinet on the hardwood floors-- worked like a charm..

Re: It's Spring Cleaning Time at Old Michigan City... #36758 05/02/04 02:10 AM
WackoPaul Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint

The Toering's strenghtened by lunch are back at it, cutting the boards for Doyne, Larry and Jeff to attach around the stairs.

Sue still hiding in those blue coats is planting the bulbs as Shellie hands them to her...

Doyne pointing out to Jeff how they will be going around the window..

The outside group is just about finished planting the flower bed with hostas and tulips.. the lillies are to be added on Sunday since it is supposed to get below freezing on Saturday night..

Did I say that it was cold, raining and windy?

Jeff working his way up the roofline..

I will add the finished picture after some of us go back Sunday for some last minute touches and cleanup..

Re: It's Spring Cleaning Time at Old Michigan City... #36759 05/02/04 02:48 AM
K
keeperpam2 Offline
Wacko
Wacko
K
Looks like you guys had another good time...sorry we missed it, but we are gearing up for Door County, and Suzanne is gearing up for her delegate duties this weekend.

Hope you all had good weather, but looks like it was a bit cool eek

Re: It's Spring Cleaning Time at Old Michigan City... #36760 05/02/04 04:15 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
This must be the hardest working and most dedicated group of all! You guys are 'da best!

Re: It's Spring Cleaning Time at Old Michigan City... #36761 05/02/04 10:19 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Thanks for sharing, Paul. It's great to follow the story of the dedicated collectors helping out an extremely worthy cause. Your work is inspiring and a credit to the dedicated volunteers. Old Michigan City Light is extremely fortunate to have you guys to rely on each year.

smile Bob smile

Re: It's Spring Cleaning Time at Old Michigan City... #36762 05/02/04 12:26 PM
WackoPaul Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
You are right about this group, John! I would add brave to that desciption after yesterday..

We are going back this morning to plant the lillies and Doyne is going to finish the trim around the entry way to the stairs.. clean up and a couple of pictures then we head home..

right now the sun is shining but it is still cold and since it is always windy at the lighthouse, it is probably still windy!

Re: It's Spring Cleaning Time at Old Michigan City... #36763 05/02/04 07:26 PM
Bill and Judy Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Thanks, Paul, for sharing your wonderful photos and event. To landlocked lighthouse lovers this website is certainly wonderful for all of us to be able to see a great group in action. That is one of our favorite lighthouses so kudos to all of you for your hard work and goose bumps!

Judy & Bill

Re: It's Spring Cleaning Time at Old Michigan City... #36764 05/02/04 09:10 PM
WackoPaul Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint

Shellie and Jodi finishing up the weeding and mulching around the lighthouse.. The sun being out was a welcome sight today.. made it a little warmer!

Jodi working on the plants around the Mooring..

Cindy and Doyne Cole had some very special visitors today... their daughter and son-in-law brought their four grandsons by the lighthouse.. Granpa got to show off his handy work to them all..

On the way back to Indy Sue and I stopped at Swing Bellies for lunch, which is just on the otherside of the waterway from the Old Michigan City lighthouse..

For those who haven't made it to Michigan City, yet, you can see the close proximity of the Michigan City Pier Light on the far left of the image..

Re: It's Spring Cleaning Time at Old Michigan City... #36765 05/02/04 09:52 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
WOW! What an improvement up in that 'attic'. They sure did a nice job of paneling that area.

Re: It's Spring Cleaning Time at Old Michigan City... #36766 05/02/04 10:08 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
After most of the group left, the Danhauer's from Kentucky stopped by. (He is Medicman). They picked the right time to visit as we were down to cleaning up and taking things back to the cars. They were treated to the "special tour" where they got to see first hand what was worked on this weekend.

The flowers that were in bloom still aren't planted as it is supposed to get down to freezing tonight. Hopefully club member and museum docent John Tamlin will be able to get them into the ground on Tuesday when he works at the light.

Re: It's Spring Cleaning Time at Old Michigan City... #36767 05/02/04 10:46 PM
MrsTLC Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Michigan City is such a beautiful lighthouse...You all make it even more beautiful with all of your hard work...my hat's off to all of you... cool cool
Ruthie smile

Ruthie
"Where words fail, Music speaks"
Re: It's Spring Cleaning Time at Old Michigan City... #36768 05/03/04 01:59 AM
Medicman Offline
Got home about an hour ago. Had time to get unpacked and a bite to eat...
Thanks for the special tour. It was great to see what work has been done thanks to the club's effort. Sorry we missed the "shovel" part of your weekend.
My wife and I were on a weekend sprint up the Western shores of the lake. We stopped at Grosse Point in Evanston, Kenosha Pier light and the old "Southport" light there, then up to Racine and saw Wind Point lighthouse. We stopped at the Navy Pier in Chicago on the way back. Got some T-shirts at the pier and a pic of the Harbor light. Then we decided we should shoot over on Hwy 94 to Michigan City and see it before heading back home.
Alot of driving time but well worth it.

Again. Thanks for the tour of the top floor. I forgot to ask... do they have a stamp at the museum? Guess a John's picture stamp will do.

Re: It's Spring Cleaning Time at Old Michigan City... #36769 05/05/04 10:44 AM
Digger Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Looks like a great time. Yes Dave I was planning to come but Becky informed me otherwise! Moving Ryan into his new home had priority according to her!!! laugh

Re: It's Spring Cleaning Time at Old Michigan City... #36770 05/05/04 12:41 PM
RFoster Offline
A beautiful lighthouse, dedicated group of volunteers, wonderful results both inside and outside the lighthouse, great pictures and I'm sure much fun & love shared to warm you (I heard it was cold, windy and wet).

Thank you all for all you do for this light and others lighthouses and for sharing these neat pictures. Wish we were a bit closer so we could help (my belly could use the exercise).

Ron
(CT Keeper)

Ron
(CT Keeper)
Re: It's Spring Cleaning Time at Old Michigan City... #36771 05/05/04 07:41 PM
sandy Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Ditto to Ron's remarks!! Bet it was cold, windy, and wet, huh??

Sandy wink wink

Re: It's Spring Cleaning Time at Old Michigan City... #36772 05/05/04 10:49 PM
E
EileenK Offline
E
Beautiful light! Great work! Thanks for your dedication and love of the light!

Eileen

Moderated by  WackoPaul 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,356 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users