Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Big turnout 11/8 in New England #36337 11/10/98 11:46 PM
L
ladylightkeeper Offline OP
OP Offline
L
The New England Harbour Lights Collectors' Club is now an established fact, with 3l members attending the organizational meeting, and several more who were unable to attend interested in joining, bringing our projected membership near 40. A charter membership designation is available until the end of l998. Members now belong from 5 of the 6 NE states --only RI hasn't made itself known to us. The necessary steps in organizing a club were carried out, including an election: Chairperson, alias ladylightkeeper, is Barbara Hupp; the treasurer, alias foghornkeeper, is Henry Hupp; and secretary or Keeper of the Log is Penny Miller. A contest was held to see how many members could identify NE lights, and top- ranking scorers received prizes. Harbour Lights and other dealers and benefactors were most generous in sendng items for door prizes and raffles (everyone went home with a prize); and 3 lighthouses, including a Point Arena, were raffled off, to raise over $200 to start off the club's lighthouse preservation fund. There were a dozen display boards to look at, ranging from photos from the RI reunion, to HL products, club news; recommended lights websites, and a travel board highlighting the various lighthouse tours, harbor cruise, photogrpahy opportunities, and dinner meeting with speaker, which are scheduled as the club's first outing for the weekend of June 4-6, l999. A meeting is tentatively scheduled for CT in April and the Boston area for Nov. l999. There were many items for members to take with them relating to lighthouses, preservation funds, dealer cards, travel literature, and even brochures describing the newest in digital cameras for those who wish to put photos directly onto their computers. The speaker, Kevin Arsenault, former Matinicus Rock and Whitehead lightkeeper, kept our interest peaked with his true stories of seeing glowing lights atop the tower with no lantern room on Matinicus -- no shiny metal to reflect light and a dark cloudy night, with no moon to provide light. He said several lighthouses have the reputation for being haunted, and most were connected to lightkeepers who did not want to retire and leave their post, one even committting suicide.The lights here and the mysterious door that wouldn't stay shut at Whitehead were never able to be explained to anyone's satisfaction. A report was given by member Ron Foster on a newly- reported restoration project, of Avery Point in Groton, CT, which was built as a monument to lightkeepers themselves. The Lighthouse Depot through its preservation foundation has targeted this monument for possible restoration. And finally member Jeremy D'Entremont, archivist for the PBS TV station in Boston, gave a short report on how he will be setting up the club's own website and putting the news bulletin on-line, as most members have access. Members were asked to pass on the word about the club and all its exciting plans for the future to potential members, either HL collectors or anyone who just likes lighthouses. Our goal is threefold: to foster our lighthouse collecting hobby; to learn more about our lighthouse and maritime heritage through speakers and outings; and to raise funds to donate to preservation efforts. We all extend an invitation to any collector or enthusiast out in web-land to join this new 6 state club. Please contact Barbara at her winter phone (60l) 534-6522 starting late Nov. as her e-mail webtv address in NH will be turned off until spring. Keep the Flame!

------------------

[This message has been edited by ladylightkeeper (edited 11-10-98).]

ladylightkeeper
Re: Big turnout 11/8 in New England #36338 11/11/98 02:45 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Just before you turn off the WebTV access to the Internet, Barbara and Henry, let me sound a hearty congratulations to you two for getting this new club organized!

I know you put a LOT of work into making it happen. Thanks for letting us know how it turned out!

Now the rest of you out there -- can you IMAGINE turning off your Internet access for six months??

Barbara you'll just have to find the local Internet Cafe or stop by your local Kinko's to catch up on all the on-line happenings!!!

Again, a job well-done!!

Re: Big turnout 11/8 in New England #36339 11/11/98 09:22 AM
HCarpenter Offline
On behalf of the members who joined that day...our thanks again to Barbara and Henry and Penny for all their hard work. It was a great first meeting and from what I understand one of the largest attended first meetings of a club for HL (according to Kim Andrews). Looking forward to meeting again in April.

Herb & Tracie

Re: Big turnout 11/8 in New England #36340 11/17/98 02:02 AM
P
Polly Offline
P
Hearty congratulation on a job well done! The number of new members alone is amazing, it shows you did a terrific job of recruiting and letting people know what a great club you have organized. If we're lucky we'll see others take inspiration from you and have new clubs spring up coast to coast.

I enjoy seeing the activities that take place at different club meetings. For a club initiation you certainly had wonderful guest speakers. Thanks for sharing your very successful start!

Re: Big turnout 11/8 in New England #36341 11/17/98 11:54 PM
RFoster Offline
Many thanks to Barbara, Henry and Penny for all of the work that went into making this club meeting so successful. I can't think of a thing that hadn't been thought of and well planned out. I do believe Barbara's middle name is "organization". I look forward to future meetings with all of the members and hope that the club continues to grow. If I can be of help to any of the collectors out there who are thinking about joining this club, please give me a shout on the email or call me at (860) 445-2124.

Thanks,
Ron

Ron
(CT Keeper)

Moderated by  WackoPaul 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,375 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users