Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
New England Lighthouse Lovers--a signing with Bill #36301 02/06/00 04:55 AM
L
ladylightkeeper Offline OP
OP Offline
L
The New England Lighthouse Lovers (NELL), a Harbour Lights collectors club for the 6 states in NE, enter the new millennium with a schedule of exciting events. Our first meeting this spring will be on May 6 in the greater Rockport/Gloucester, MA, area. Event chairman Frank Carbone is looking into a visit to Eastern Point Lighthouse in Gloucester and a possible cruise around Cape Ann.

Our 2 day spring Outing will center around Groton, CT, with a Saturday, June 3, cruise to see many lighthouses. But the highlight will be a visit by Bill Younger, who will conduct a signing and be our featured evening speaker at the June 3 dinner buffet. The following day will have additional lighthouse-oriented sites for club members to tour.

We welcome new members to our club. Anyone interested in finding out more details on how they can either attend the cruise; the signing/dinner buffet; or joining the club, may e-mail Penny Patch, event coordinator, at Penny@downcity.net

Club members will be going on additional lighthouse cruises, supporting other lighthouse-oriented fundraisers, such as the Flying Santa cruise on June 18 (see the recent issue of Lighthouse Digest for a full calendar of lighthouse cruises and activities).

Our club is seriously involved in helping raise money to donate to various NE lighthouses undergoing restoration, such as Thacher Island, Nubble Light, and Avery Point. If you would like to become involved in saving lighthouses in New England, this is the club for you!

PLEASE NOTE:

If you are involved in a lighthouse preservation group, watch next week for my posting on the General Forum, on how you can help get a money donation for a lighthouse undergoing restoration, by buying a book.

Keep the Flame burning in your club also.
Ladylightkeeper
Barbara Hupp, President
NELL

------------------
ladylightkeeper

ladylightkeeper
Re: New England Lighthouse Lovers--a signing with Bill #36302 02/06/00 10:39 AM
RFoster Offline
I'm looking forward to another great year of lighthousing with NELL. Hosting Bill Younger, as a guest speaker, is very exciting and I hope that you will be able to join us on this fun-filled weekend.

Ron
(CT Keeper)

Ron
(CT Keeper)
Re: New England Lighthouse Lovers--a signing with Bill #36303 02/09/00 12:01 AM
P
Polly Offline
P
Barbara,

You always have such terrific outings. How many members do you have in your club?

Re: New England Lighthouse Lovers--a signing with Bill #36304 02/09/00 08:27 AM
L
ladylightkeeper Offline OP
OP Offline
L
I think our club now has about 60 some members. Trying to gain new members is a challenge for any type of club, not just an HL club. There are many collectors out there in NE but we don't know HOW to reach them, and so they probably don't know that our club exists. There are over 170 HL dealers in the 6 NE states which we serve; and they were all sent a flyer when our club began. Only a few have helped to pass the word to their customers; and this is hard to understand, as usually club membership generates more interest in a collectible in general and results in members buying more from their dealers. I wonder if other HL clubs are experiencing this? I think it is unique to get a warm relationship with any one dealer to the extent that they will really strive to promote a club. What success have you had with strong dealer backing?

Thank you for your kind words about our programs. As President, I have also been wearing several other hats of Program and Outing chairmen. New England is fortunate to have so many resources to draw upon; but that is due to being ocean-oriented; having lots of lighthouses; and the knowledgeable personnel connected to them.

In May we are touring and climbing Eastern Point Light in Gloucester, MA, before our regular meeting. June is the signing and program with Bill. There will probably be a cruise that morning on the Sound between CT and Long Island. In September there is an Outing planned to Block Island, RI. And the annual fall meeting will probably be close to Boston. I am hoping to get a well-known lighthouse authority if his schedule permits.

I have seen the following idea carried out very well in the camera clubs (over 75) in NE; and would like to propose it here for all HL clubs to consider: making up a resource list of program ideas that all or most clubs could try at their meetings or events, depending on whether they were land-locked with no lighthouses near; or if there were lighthouses available. General ideas need to be listed and also specific names of people who give programs. If someone from far away happens to travel into your area, they might be willing to give a program to the club also-- even a well-versed HL'er.

Ideas to get it started would be: current Coast Guard personnel living at a lighthouse giving a tour and allowing a climb of the lights; Coast Guard personnel from the Aids to Navigation section to come in and give a talk on current lighthouse activities , maintenance, types of lights being used, etc. Authors and photographers in the area to give a talk and slide program on lighthouses they have written about and photographed. Universities which have a course on area history that includes maritime -- get the professor to give a talk. Same could apply from a historical society. Look for the persons chosen to be on the Board for the new national lighthouse museum on Staten Island, is there anyone from your state -- for a talk. Same goes for the museums that are being started in Mackinack, MI and elsewhere. The Great Lakes Lighthouse Keepers has people trained in giving talks. Preservationists who work on lighthouses--what does it entail? Member show-and-tell: what lighthouses did you visit, what did you learn about them; and show your photos (taking 35mm slides and projecting them lends itself better to group presentations); bring in a photo expert in digital cameras to explain how a digital camera works along with a computer, so members can have fun putting their photos out online and on the Forum. Hold a club photo contest. I have tried to get an interclub contest going also, with the winners maybe put here on the club news forum. Bring in someone very talented in doing model railroad layouts or setting up Dept. 56 villages and give a class on how a diorama could be made with scenery, ocean, rocks etc. to really show off a lighthouse.
Have a club contest for best diorama.

If all clubs would submit their ideas, it would be a start. Is there interest out there in this idea?

I look forward to hearing more details on this forum about other clubs and what programs they are scheduling.

------------------
ladylightkeeper

ladylightkeeper
Re: New England Lighthouse Lovers--a signing with Bill #36305 02/11/00 03:28 AM
P
Polly Offline
P
Barbara,

You do have some terrific ideas. With the exception of our Pigeon Point outing, much of our energy this first year has been exerted on mechanics of the club. To keep interest, we'll need to try some of your ideas for outings and guest speakers. As we acquire a list of speakers & events we'd be more than happy to share them.

How would you like to take some of the ideas you just mentioned (maybe use copy & paste) and start a new posting perhaps titled "Ideas for Club Activities" ? The ideas could be in quick read list format. Replies would add to the Activity List. If there are questions on ideas (logistics, member reaction, etc.) the person posting the idea could be contacted for details.

Looking forward to the next posting.

Polly

Moderated by  WackoPaul 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Rock, Dave H), 1,415 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users