Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Florida Lighthouse Association #36257 06/27/04 04:56 PM
Bill and Judy Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
FLA is having the July quarterly meeting in The Dry Tortugas National Park. This will be a chance to see Fort Jefferson, Loggerhead Lights and Key West. Bill and I are planning an extended weekend trip and wondered if anyone knows anything about Cape Florida which we would like to see on the way down from the Miami Airport. Is it accessible at least for photos?
Judy

Re: Florida Lighthouse Association #36258 06/27/04 05:53 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Judy,

You have to be there at the right time on the right days to get up close and personal with the Lighthouse. Otherwise the best you can do is walk down the beach to get a close look at it and some nice pictures.

Here's some info on visiting Cape Florida-

Travel Instructions: From the southern end of Interstate 95 in Miami, take exit 1 and go south on the Rickenbacker Causeway to Key Biscayne. Rickenbacker Causeway will become Crandon Boulevard, which you can follow to Bill Baggs Cape Florida State Park at the southern end of Key Biscayne, where the lighthouse is located.
The lighthouse is open for tours at 10AM and 1PM, Thursday through Monday.

You should make sure to get there by 9:30 AM or 12:30 PM to get onto the tour. We missed the tour on our trip tp FL in March (for the Regional). We didn't get up early enough in Key West- that's life.

Here's a link to my post about our trip-

http://www.lighthousekeepers.com/forums/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=000796

There are several other parts that deal with the other Lighthouses (and other attractions) of FL we visited

Dennis

Re: Florida Lighthouse Association #36259 06/27/04 09:14 PM
Bill and Judy Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Dennis,
Thanks for the info. The times and days are helpful. We'll try to plan our stop around those times. Your photos are nice despite not being able to get up close. Somehow I didn't expect the tower to be white--thought it would be red brick, probably because of the Harbour Light replica. Thanks again.
Judy

Re: Florida Lighthouse Association #36260 06/27/04 11:49 PM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
I would call and make sure you know the exact times they are open.
When I went to Cape Florida three years ago they were only offering the morning tour even thought the sign said there was two tours. The tours were for the first 10 people. We showed up an hour early and my family of 6 filled the spot right away. Many others had to turn away. The tour was guided and you get to climb the light.

For more information, contact the State Park by calling (305) 361-8779.

DANIEL
Re: Florida Lighthouse Association #36261 06/28/04 07:09 AM
ericlighthouse Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Hi,
before it was restored, you could see the red brick. If you get to tour the lighthouse the ranger should offer you to see a film about the restortion. cool
Also if you climb, when you get to the top and look out in the ocean, you can see Fowey Rocks reef light.

On your way to Key West you should be able to see 2 more reef lights from the land. The first is Alligator Reef Lighthouse (about 3.5 miles off land, it is White). There is a bridge that connects Upper Matecrumbe Key to Lower Matecrumbe Key. From either end of the bridge you should be able to see it.
At mile marker 50 turn south (left) on to Sombrero Beach Road (state road 913). Drive about 2 miles to Sombrero Beach State Park. From the beach you can get a picture (lighthouse about 4.5 miles off land). In fact when I was there the park was closed for re-model but could still get a picture from the land right next to the park (west side). This lighthouse is brown.
Both lighthouses will be on your left as you go to Key West.

Eric, Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation; Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse; member and District Commissioner of Florida Lighthouse Association et el
Re: Florida Lighthouse Association #36262 06/28/04 11:53 AM
Bill and Judy Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Eric, this is really helpful. We have a long lens with a doubler so it sounds as if we will be able to get photos of those out in the water. We never would have thought of those lights without your comments. This web site is awesome!
Thanks so much,
Judy

Re: Florida Lighthouse Association #36263 06/29/04 12:33 AM
ericlighthouse Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Hi Bill and Judy,
The reef lights are easily overlooked. We hope sometime in the future that tours could be arranged.
See you at Dry Tortugas.

Eric, Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation; Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse; member and District Commissioner of Florida Lighthouse Association et el
Re: Florida Lighthouse Association #36264 06/29/04 10:16 PM
Bill and Judy Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Eric,

I totally agree. Harbour Lights did such a good job on Sand Key and someday I hope to see it!

We look forward to meeting you. What an exciting trip!

Judy

Moderated by  WackoPaul 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,375 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users