cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Outer Banks Vacation #36179 02/19/01 12:23 AM
TD Offline OP
OP Offline
My wife and I are in the planning stages for a vacation to the Outer Banks. I could either fly into Norfolk Virginia, or Charleston SC. Since my wife is not a Wacko, I have to mix up the vacation half lighthouses and the other half waiting to see lighthouses if you know what I mean. I really would like some of your thoughts on where to stay and what to see in that area. Also, how much time should I plan for?

TD Terry Demeter Mpls

Re: Outer Banks Vacation #36180 02/19/01 01:59 AM
S
SThompson Offline
Administrator
Administrator
S
Hi Terry, I would recommend flying into Norfolk vice Charleston. Charleston is a looong hall from the OBX. You shouldn't have to much trouble getting on the Ferries this time of year. The NC Ferry System does have a web site http://www.ncferry.org/. If you fly into Norfolk I would start my lighthousing in this order.

Portsmouth Lightship
The Mariners Museum in Newport News
Old Point Comfort
Cape Henry
Currituck
Bodie
Chicamacomico USLSS
Cape Hatteras
Ocracoke
Cape Lookout

My recommendation on this schedule is to leave yourself a minimum of 4 days. Take more time if you can! Day One to see the VA locations. Day Two to visit Currituck, Bodie Island, the Lifesaving Station and Cape Hatteras. Day Three to visit Ocracoke and Cape Lookout. Day Four to get back to Norfolk.

[This message has been edited by SThompson (edited 02-18-2001).]

Re: Outer Banks Vacation #36181 02/19/01 02:52 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Terry,
For an excellent trip travelogue on the Outer Banks, go to the Map Room forum and choose the "show all" option. Go back to summer 1999 and see Art's post. I know that I used it as a guideline, and am sure others have too. There are also other posts that have discussed the Outer Banks in the Map Room.

I would agree with Sean's suggestions. There are some more lights you can see in Norfolk if you want, and have a good guidebook. The Newport News Middle Ground can be seen from the northbund side of I-664. From the shoreline just after you come thru the tunnel southbound (I think it is actually considered east bound) on I-64 you can see Thimble Shoals way off in the distance.

Depending on how much time you plan to spend, you might be able to convince the wife to go north across the CHesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel to Assateague. The Chincoteague Wildlife Reservation is a very pretty area (and there just happens to be a red & white striped lighthouse there), Just after you come off the bridge headed north, you get a view of Cape Charles.

The Chesapeake Chapter's Web site will be of help in getting to the Virginia lights.

Dave

[This message has been edited by Dave H (edited 02-18-2001).]

Re: Outer Banks Vacation #36182 02/19/01 03:30 AM
TD Offline OP
OP Offline
To Sean and Dave,
Thanks for the recommendations. Keep them coming everyone. Places to stay would be greatly appreciated. I'm starting to get excited ready your replies!

TD

[This message has been edited by TD (edited 02-19-2001).]

Re: Outer Banks Vacation #36183 02/19/01 01:38 PM
easya Offline
I know that it is not the Outer Banks, but if I was flying in that way, I wouldnt miss Annapolis, Eastern Shore (ST Michaels) and then Assateague and the Cheasapeake Bay Bridge - on to Norfork etc.
- Joe

Re: Outer Banks Vacation #36184 02/19/01 06:32 PM
J
JKevin Offline
J
Flying into Norfolk is the best way start.While here you can also visit the Life Saving Museum at the Va Beach oceanfront.There are plenty of hotels in Nags Head,Kitty hawk and points south to down the OBX.Make sure to stop at the Wright Brothers memorial in Kitty Hawk on the bypass.From VA Beach its about an hour and a half drive to OBX and another couple from their to Hatteras.Good luck and any other info you need Email me
Kevin

Re: Outer Banks Vacation #36185 02/19/01 07:44 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
TD-
Just so you get the other opion--- Charleston is our favorite place (For the things we must include for the wife to be happy with all the L/H visiting) so I would be sure and include that area if time permits. The Morris Island LH (Folly Beach)and Charleston LH (Sullivans Island) are both special to me. From there north you have a great number of L/H's to view with just the right distance in between or as not to drive to far at a time and there are so many quaint towns in which to stay (We try to avoid the tourist towns and do the out of the way places. Doesn't matter which direction you take (north to south or south to north) it is an excellant tour. We did the coastal route Charleston to Assateague and then came back the Interstate but you could easily reverse it. If you would like the names of places we stayed, e-mail me and I will give you our favorites.

Harry and Judy
Orlando Florida

Re: Outer Banks Vacation #36186 02/19/01 10:01 PM
Rich Offline
TD-
Had a vacation on Outer Banks last year and stayed on Roanoke Island, just off the Outer Banks. Found the location pretty central and lots of other things to do besides lighthouses (really??). I had the same problem with having someone with me that did not care to do all lighthouses. Send me an e-mail if you have any questions and I'll try to answer.

Rich

Re: Outer Banks Vacation #36187 02/20/01 12:45 AM
S
SThompson Offline
Administrator
Administrator
S

[This message has been edited by SThompson (edited 02-20-2001).]

Re: Outer Banks Vacation #36188 02/20/01 12:46 AM
T
TGIFIF Offline
T
Which ever way you go in, stop at vistors center & ask for lighthouse info. I went last Oct & they gave me a guide with detailed directions to each lighthouse.

TGIFIF

Re: Outer Banks Vacation #36189 02/20/01 12:18 PM
Art Offline
Thanks Dave. Here's a link to that OBX adventure

Assateague is well worth it, but be warned: You'll kill the better part of a day driving up there and back from the Norfolk area, and there's nothing else to do there except see the ponies then turn around and drive back.

There's lots to do in the VA Beach/ Norfolk area besides lighthouses, but you can get plenty of those in, too. You might want to check out Jamestown Settlement and Williamsburg if you are into US history.

You might want to consider flying into Norfolk, then just take a leisurely trip down the NC/SC coast starting with a few days in the VA Beach area, spending a few nights here or there. Ocracoke and Bald Head Island both look like great places to stay to relax if you're not driven to do lots of stuff on your vacations. You can work your way down the coast and eventually fly out of Charleston. You're looking at a good bit of driving to do this, though. The rental will cost more this way, but it might be worth it for better use of your time. If you stay in one central location on OBX you're going to be doing a lot of backtracking and you won't ever get very far.

You can see all the lighthouses on OBX in as little as two days, but that's definately for Wackos only. No time to eat or sleep if you try. Take as much time as you can afford, but imo at least 5 full days if you're going from Norfolk to Charleston.

------------------
-Art

-Art
Re: Outer Banks Vacation #36190 02/20/01 03:36 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Thanks for bringing this back Art. I'm hoping to go back to Nags Head this July, and will be trying the trek to Cape Hatteras, Cape Lookout, Ocracoke, and Oak Island and back in a day. As for Bald Head Island, my wife and I spent 3 days there on a real estate tour. She still takes about it, constantly. To me it was beautiful but to remote for living there. I can't imagine being there for a hurricane or a winter?
As for Currituck, that's where I got the HL disease that BY talks about by touching the HL statues.

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Outer Banks Vacation #36191 02/21/01 01:50 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
1 is enough

[This message has been edited by Mark Wagner (edited 02-20-2001).]

Re: Outer Banks Vacation #36192 02/21/01 01:50 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If you are going to be there during swimming weather Cape Lookout has a GREAT beach right in front of the lighthouse, when we were there, there were plenty of boats anchored right there and a bunch of people enjoying the water, music playing, was a great spot.... not enough time though

[This message has been edited by Mark Wagner (edited 02-26-2001).]

Re: Outer Banks Vacation #36193 02/21/01 02:03 AM
S
SThompson Offline
Administrator
Administrator
S
Cape Lookout is fairly easy to get to. You can get a ride for $10 per person on a small boat from Harkers Island. Don't miss it! If you also collect National Park Stamps for your Passport make sure you go to the Park Office on Harkers Island as well as at the Lighthouse. There are two different stamps.

Re: Outer Banks Vacation #36194 02/21/01 02:43 AM
TD Offline OP
OP Offline
All of your comments have been very helpful. Art, all I can say after reading your post is WOW!

Re: Outer Banks Vacation #36195 02/25/01 02:44 PM
GerryBu Offline
TD, Sounds like a great trip. I did this 2 years ago and really enjoyed it. I recommend you not miss Charleston. Beside the lighthouses it is a great place to visit for the non-lighthouse visitor. GerryBu

Re: Outer Banks Vacation #36196 03/05/01 01:17 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
I just found this lighthouse tour
http://www.outer-banks.com/lighthouse-society/driving.cfm
Bob

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Outer Banks Vacation #36197 03/05/01 01:57 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Excellent link, Bob. Great work by Cheryl & Bruce Roberts!

Moderated by  PFC 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 872 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users