Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
New St. Joseph LE in Metal #3607 08/08/99 03:35 PM
R
Robert M Dick Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Anyone for a new LE of St. Joseph to match Grand Haven? I am against a GLOW but would like a new LE. Comments Please. Don't bury this issue. St. Joseph current retired LE does not do the light justice.

Moby

Moby
Re: New St. Joseph LE in Metal #3608 08/08/99 07:23 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I had asked Kim about the possibilty of St. Joe and or Michigan City being redone with the metal catwalk at the Rosemont show. All though I didn't ask her about a redone LE she did say that a OE was probably not likely because the metal work would drive the price up too much for a GLOW

Re: New St. Joseph LE in Metal #3609 08/09/99 12:44 AM
Todd Shorkey Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I am one of the collectors who feel "no redos".

I think it would be cool to see a St. Joe's or Michigan City piece that lived up to Harbour Lights current standards and quality, but I strongly feel that one limited edition of a piece is enough. We have debated this before with mixed results, but I'll stand by my position. There are too many deserving lighthouses out there just waiting to be sculpted by Harbour Lights. Let's give these yet to be created pieces a chance to be a "WOW" (thanks Bill H. for the new standard of describing an outstanding piece) before doubling up on limiteds.

There are other pier lights that closely resemble Michigan City or St. Joseph. These could be sculpted with the same stunning results, I'm sure.

So let's stick with the new and unsculpted for limiteds. Some will disagree, but I really don't think multiple limited editions of the same lighthouse are the way to go.

-Todd

Re: New St. Joseph LE in Metal #3610 08/09/99 06:55 AM
R
Robert M Dick Offline OP
OP Offline
R
This is exactly the response I expected. How about this new suggestion.

Those who have a registered LE and are members of the HLC Society be given the opportunity to purchase a revised St. Joseph North Pier with metal work as in Grand Haven South Pier.

The reason I ask this is that if you put the two models together, one really outshines the other. I look at the new gallery and see St Joseph under storm and it brings this point home.

I have Grand Haven on display in my office with a large picture of her under storm and it is most impressive to those who visit my humble abode. St Joseph looks so meek and bland near her.

St Joseph is one of the most known great lake lights. Her model does not do her justic.

Moby

Moby
Re: New St. Joseph LE in Metal #3611 08/09/99 09:33 AM
R
Rod Watson Offline
Saint
Saint
R
The solution to this is a "signature series" version of it. Remember, Thomas Point had metal work on it!

Whether you agree or disagree with the series in general, it would fall within present "rules" if it was done this way.

The question would be if it is "special" enough to Bill to redo it in the series. I don't believe it necessarily would.
Rod Watson
Re: New St. Joseph LE in Metal #3612 08/09/99 10:31 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Just a note on "Signature Series". All Signature Series are GLOW. They simply have a special meaning for Bill Younger.

So far 1) Thomas Point (First lighthouse he'd seen as a child) and 2) Tybee Island (whose restoration was aided by major donations from Harbour Lights and Harbour Lights collectors.) ALL of the 'Signature Series' carry a special label on the bottom with Bill's signature.

I doubt that St. Joseph qualifies as a 'Signature Series' IMO.

John

Re: New St. Joseph LE in Metal #3613 08/09/99 07:30 PM
R
Robert M Dick Offline OP
OP Offline
R
I am asking for another series, another idea. My post does not fall within the existing format. Would you fellow collectors discuss this topic Thursday on the chat?

Moby

Moby
Re: New St. Joseph LE in Metal #3614 08/09/99 08:10 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
New Series - RDTADO

RE - DO - THE - ALREADY - DONE - ONES

If the series is about redoing lights because they can do them better now, they would be redoing a lighthouse every three or four years, if they keep improving their skills at the same pace that they have been.

I look at my collection as, just that, a collection. When I look at my collection as a whole, I can see the growth and improvement of Harbour Lights (history of HL) over the years. The quality, of the first lighthouses Harbour Lights made, during the first years, was as good as they could make them at the time. I like it that way.

We have cussed and discussed this topic several times over the years and I think it was pretty obvious that the majority of the collectors didn't want second edition limited lighthouses. Harbour Lights has a lot of great plans for the near future and redoing the LE's doesn't appear to be any part of it.

If you think that secondary prices are soft now, limited version prices would not go up one bit with the cloud of redoing hanging over them. Some people would just wait until the next version comes out before buying.

I could have a collection of just one lighthouse by a lot of different companies, but I choose instead to have a collection of a lot of different lighthouses made by the BEST company that makes lighthouses.

Saint WackoPaul '
Keep the Flame

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: New St. Joseph LE in Metal #3615 08/09/99 10:30 PM
jakescol Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Right on PAUL.

I also feel that we need new lights to attract new collectors. 14 Portland Heads, 16 Hatteras and a dozen of every other light, will not get new collectors.

Limited to LE's

Jake Toering

[This message has been edited by jakescol (edited 08-09-99).]

Re: New St. Joseph LE in Metal #3616 08/10/99 12:50 AM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
With close to 600 lighthouses in the US alone there's still plenty left to be done before the re-doing starts.

Think we all look forward to what the upcoming HL's will be. Don't think the announcement of a re-done "xyz light" would bring the same excitment.

Onward Ho!

Mombo

Re: New St. Joseph LE in Metal #3617 08/10/99 07:22 AM
R
Robert M Dick Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Thanks for listening.

-30-

Moby

Moby

Moderated by  rscroope 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 593 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users