cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
"Bansemer's Book of Florida Lighthouses - Book Review #14 #3597 11/17/99 04:59 PM
B
Bob Steinbrunn Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Here is what essentially is a very warm and human lighthouse book that was written, illustrated, and self-published by a very talented artist. This has become one of my favorites and I think you'll like it, too.

"Bansemer's Book of Florida Lighthouses", Roger Bansemer
Pineapple Press, Inc.
P.O. Box 3899
Sarasota, FL 34230

ISBN 1-56164-172-3

Hardcover, 9 3/8" x 12 1/4", 146 pages, 22 full two-page spread water color paintings, 89 smaller water color paintings, 62 black & white sketches, and 32 maps showing lighthouse locations.

All 30 of Florida's lighthouses are illustrated by the author who visited each in person to paint and sketch them, and besides the textual descriptions he provides "homey" notes of interest in script alongside many of the items illustrated. At least eleven of these lighthouses have been subjects of Harbour Lights sculptures.

He also includes in his book some lighthouse and Fresnel lens history, sketches of waterfront "characters", boats, birds, and animals. His wife and two daughters are to be found in a number of these paintings as well, and he appears to be a devoted family man.

Also included are four "Lighthouses That Aren't", meaning ones which have been built as coastal homes or tourist attractions rather than actual navigational lights.

This book was a bargain for me ($29.95 U.S. plus $2.50 for shipping) considering how much I enjoyed the artwork and the interesting narrative, and can be purchased directly from the author/artist at:

Roger Bansemer
2352 Alligator Creek Rd.
Clearwater, FL 33765

(727) 797-4658

e-mail: bansemer@bansemer.com

Web site: www.bansemer.com

If you enjoy his style you might be interested in the five other books you'll see advertised there which he has written.

***** - 5 stars: highly recommended.

------------------
Bob Steinbrunn
Nautical Research Guild

[This message has been edited by Bob Steinbrunn (edited 11-18-99).]

Bob Steinbrunn
Nautical Research Guild
Re: "Bansemer's Book of Florida Lighthouses - Book Review #14 #3598 11/21/99 10:03 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks Bob..I too really apprecite this particular book. Roger Bansemer is such a nice gent. He has invited out HL local group to come to his studio for one of our meetings. He is a real lighthouse lover....
Derith

Moderated by  rscroope 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Dave H), 1,209 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users