cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Making my first "presentation"..... #35785 03/13/00 02:51 PM
Brent Offline OP
OP Offline
Within the next couple of weeks I'll be making my first "Lighthouse" Presentation to a 6th grade class. I'm alittle nervous about it but, hopefully, I've got everything arranged. I've got some video's, handouts, posters, pen & ink drawings that I've done, and some photos. Can you think of anything else that I could use? I really want this to be first-class in order to get these kids interested in LH history, preservation, etc. Give me your thoughts... .....Thanks!
P.S. If I take 10-15 of my favorite HL's do you think that they'll consider it "too commercial"? Have any of you folks ever devised something to carry HL's around in...or just pack'em up in their origional boxes?

[This message has been edited by Brent (edited 03-13-2000).]

Brent
OBLHS Charter Member
Re: Making my first "presentation"..... #35786 03/14/00 02:44 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Brent,
Congratulations on taking the challenge to share lighthouse history with your youth. I'm sure they will learn much from you and have fun doing it. While I might take a HL or 2, I would be careful. Even 6th graders are going to want to see and you may get someone picking up a light that you prefer not to have them? If I was going to take lights I would think about taking one each of several different styles- a caison/spark plug type, a screw pile, a traditional tower, a cottage type w/ house & tower combined.

Not enough lead time for now, but for future reference for you or others who might be looking for resource guides, GLLKA has a maritime Heritage Educational Resource Guide available for $17.95. has 109 lesson plans & activities dealing w/ Great Lakes lights. Has worksheets that can be copied. May be of some help in formulating a more general lighthouse lesson plan.

GLLKA, c/o Henry Ford Estate, 4901 Evergreen Rd, Dearborn, MI 48128. (313) 436-9150.

GLKKA, like many of the other groups we all belong to, publishes a great quarterly newsletter and hosts activities around the GL. They have a "conference" on each of the GL each year. Great group of people.

Be sure to let us know how your class goes!

Dave

Re: Making my first "presentation"..... #35787 03/14/00 10:46 AM
chris g Offline
Wacko
Wacko
I recently did a short presentation for the kids at church. The theme for the day was "Let you light shine", so I taked about lighthouses (of course!). I took 3 LH with me- Baltimore, Cockspur Island and St. Augustine (GLOW)- this represented 3 different styles. They are in 3 different types of settings and they are different heights too. I told them that sometimes it was a very difficult and dangerous job for the lightkeepers, but everyone depended on them for safety. I even let the kids handle them (while I held my breath), but I figured these were pretty sturdy. All three came through safely. The kids really enjoyed hearing about the long climb to the top, the hard work carrying the oil, etc. I was also able to purchase some VERY inexpensive ($1) LH at our local Dollar Store. I gave each child a light as a reminder to let their light shine, just like the LH. The windows were all painted yellow, so one of the little girls told me that she especially liked them because it looked like the lights were on! It would be alot of money for you to do something like that for the entire class, but maybe you could have a special drawing or contest and give away 2 or 3 inexpensive LH if you can locate some. Good luck- be a storyteller, show your love for LH and just plain have fun!

Chris G
Re: Making my first "presentation"..... #35788 03/14/00 11:55 AM
Brent Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks Dave & Chris for your suggestions and encouragment. You've given me some great ideas. If all goes well (cross your fingers, for me) I think that I would like to do this on a regular basis. These kids are our future and most of them don't have much exposure to the "Lights". Thanks, again....
P.S. I'll keep you posted on how this goes.

[This message has been edited by Brent (edited 03-14-2000).]

Brent
OBLHS Charter Member
Re: Making my first "presentation"..... #35789 03/14/00 12:00 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Brent,
Although this workbook provided on line by the Coast Guard for k through 4 grades may be below your audience grade level, it may provide a good outline for you to judge your presentation against.
http://www.uscg.mil/hq/g-cp/history/WEBLIGHTHOUSES/lighthouse_curriculum.html

------------------
Long Island BOB

[This message has been edited by rscroope (edited 03-14-2000).]

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Making my first "presentation"..... #35790 03/15/00 03:28 AM
RezmanDale Offline
I too did a bible study for a chapel serviceat the mission I direct using my HL's. Kids 5-12 years old. We talked about the differences in appearence, short, tall, fat, skinny. the lights, like each of us has a job to do. As each light was used by the lighthouse service and the coast guard to shine its light, even though they are different, they all are important in their own way. Each of us is important in our own way as well, even though we all look different. The kids loved hearing avbout the different lights and the people that served in them. Especially the keepers son that dropped a cat from the top of St. Augustine with a home made parachute.

Good luck with you presentation.

Dale |:{O

Re: Making my first "presentation"..... #35791 03/16/00 11:52 AM
Brent Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks, Bob & Dale....for your valued imput! I reviewed the Coast Guard workbook and found it to be extremely well done. I believe that it could easily apply to 5th and 6th graders, as well. I'm also in the process of getting the "resource guide" from GLLKA. About 15 minutes ago I received a call from the Director of Instruction (for the county) wanting me to make a "Presentation" to all middle-school Principles on April 14th a 9:30 A.M. She wants to carry this thing even further.......B

Brent
OBLHS Charter Member
Re: Making my first "presentation"..... #35792 03/16/00 03:05 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Too bad there's not a source where you could borrow a uniform of the old Lighhouse Keepers.

Re: Making my first "presentation"..... #35793 03/16/00 11:07 PM
Brent Offline OP
OP Offline
That would add some "pizzazz" to it...

Brent
OBLHS Charter Member
Re: Making my first "presentation"..... #35794 03/17/00 12:12 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Someone has a nice shot of the 'Keeper' at Beavertail Lighthouse RI dressed up in his handmade reproduction of a keeper's uniform.

You can get a reproduction of the cap at Lighthouse Depot.

Re: Making my first "presentation"..... #35795 03/17/00 02:13 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Sounds like you have done a good sales presentation so far, Brent. You have 'emlined up to learn more before your first presentation! You just might get a few lighthouse enthusiasts started (and the kids may get their parents involved!)

I have a denim shirt from Lighthouse Depot that has the old USLHS logo embroidered on it. I have had several people ask if I work for the USLHS when they saw me wearing it. Opens up the door for a brief intro to LHs. Might see if the US Lighthouse Society has anything that would be of help. Haven't seen her in the forums lately, but Dove Point Light is active in that group.

You're doing a great job of Keeping the Flame!

Dave

Re: Making my first "presentation"..... #35796 04/15/00 07:25 PM
Brent Offline OP
OP Offline
After numerous delays, changes and postponements by the school, I finally gave my presentation to a wonderful group of 5th graders that lasted well beyond the two hours that I was allocated. I was alittle nervous, at first, but after "breaking the ice" everything went well. The presentation was on Thursday. On Friday I had a scheduled visit with all of the elementary-school principles....some of whom dropped in and attended the Thursday presentation. I believe that I've opened a "Pandora's Box" because they want to "book" me for more classes including other 5th grade classes as well as 4th and 6th graders.... Its interesting to note that of the 26 kids in the Thursday class....only 5 have ever seen a real Lighthouse. Now, what they want me to do is see if I can somehow arrange a field-trip to Virginia's east coast so that they can see some of'em first hand... I'll be more than happy to help set it up but "logistically-speaking" thats going to be one heck of a project!! (btw....the kids loved the HL's that I brought as well as all the wonderful HL "goodies" that were provided and handed out at the conclusion of the presentation. I'm still "floating" on Cloud-9... )

------------------
Brent

[This message has been edited by Brent (edited 04-15-2000).]

Brent
OBLHS Charter Member
Re: Making my first "presentation"..... #35797 04/15/00 08:16 PM
Weasel58 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Brent, You have done a wonderful thing. Now you must be "punished" for it. Your punishment will be to give this same lecture FOREVER! Just kidding. It's a good thing to get people interested in Lighthouses and the younger the better!

Eric
Re: Making my first "presentation"..... #35798 04/15/00 10:49 PM
LamarB Offline
Dear Floating on Cloud 9,

Brent, I think that's one of the neatest, most selfless things I've heard about in a long time. How wonderful to have such a gift! And congratulations, too. You must've been a giant 'hit'

Re: Making my first "presentation"..... #35799 04/16/00 02:41 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Congratulations on your success Brent! I'm sure that the kids and adults both learned a lot more about lightouses than they ever thought they would know. You have definitely let your light shine in working to create a new generation of lighthouse enthusiasts. Maybe one of those kids will grow up to continue keeping the flame.

Dave

Re: Making my first "presentation"..... #35800 04/17/00 11:14 AM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Way to go, Brent! Sounds like the feedback made it all the more worthwhile!

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Making my first "presentation"..... #35801 04/17/00 11:09 PM
RRohweder Offline
Congratulations Brent! I know how good it makes you feel to share your knowledge (and collection) with others. Well done.

Rich

------------------

Re: Making my first "presentation"..... #35802 04/18/00 07:25 AM
Brent Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks to you all for your warm comments and support! That's "one" of the truly wonderful aspects of this Forum. Your suggestions & feedback really did help me with this project....now its on to phase II

Brent
OBLHS Charter Member

Moderated by  PFC 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,229 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users