Currituck decision reached #35724 07/20/03 01:21 PM
Chesapeake Bryan Offline OP
OP Offline

Re: Currituck decision reached #35725 07/20/03 05:38 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Let's start bets on who gets it...

Maybe we should fundraise, upon the chance that it goes up for sale, to make a donation to OBC aiding them in a purchase of the lighthouse.

Or, we could make things a little more fair, and advise OBC to appeal! If the county could, why can't we??? confused confused

The way Manson said that OBC and the county have one last chance to agree on this, however, makes me think they might be leaning toward sale. mad mad

Re: Currituck decision reached #35726 07/20/03 08:03 PM
Lighthouser Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Because the OBC, Inc. refused Manson's :rolleyes: most kind invitation to his little tea party this coming Weds. :rolleyes: (Good for You, OBC,Inc)....

I'm thinking I'm hearing the "ching ching" of lawyers who've already formulated a battle plan.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see the OBC solidly prepared to take legal action, and I also wouldn't be surprised if we see a whole lot of strong support standing with them. This is of course if the decision is anything other than the RIGHT decision!

If the OBC,Inc. and the lighthousing community as a whole loses this battle with Manson...then the WAR may have just begun!

Judy

Judy
Re: Currituck decision reached #35727 07/20/03 10:00 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
It's hard to believe this sub-moronic flaming jack*** could even consider rewriting the law as it fits his desire. It is quite apparent that he is not capable of properly carrying out the duties of his office, and should be removed at once, as should the less than stellar performing Secretary of the Interior. I find it very hard to believe that the law would allow this option when one of the applicants has been found to be as highly qualified as OBC is. Can you say "Contempt of Congress"???

I hope OBC finds a way to stick it to that jerk county and the incompetent fools in Washington. The real concern is that if OBC is successful in gaining ownership of the light how much will the county mess with them to make things as miserable as possible??

Re: Currituck decision reached #35728 07/21/03 01:22 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
I may be wrong, but I think this "Manson" is a former judge. Not sure at what level. But when I called the offices there a while back, I was referred to another person who was taking calls for "The Judge" when I asked for Manson.

That probably explains why he thinks it's his job to make law and get the parties to negotiate instead of reviewing the relative merits of each groups submission and saying "Yes, the OBC has the best qualifications and they win.".

I'd say this man is creating a very big liability for the Department of the Interior because he is circumventing the letter and intent of the law in GIVING AWAY the lighthouse to the most qualified request.

Now he thinks he has the power to have the lighthouse SOLD. We don't know what the rules will be or who is qualified to be a potential buyer or what the outcome of the sale will be -- could someone with deep pockets (or a corporation) buy it and make it into a private home or a corporate retreat?

Mr. Manson (sorry, you're no longer a judge) needs to hear from someone in charge that HE isn't in charge of America's 'surplus' lighthouses.

Re: Currituck decision reached #35729 07/21/03 11:42 AM
B
Beacon Bill & Janet Offline
B
In reference to Mr. Manson and other key Government Officials including the Secretary of the Interior herself, we are suprised in the amount of Brain damage that has occured. The Human Brain can only last approxamately four minutes without oxygen before irreversible permanent brain damage occurs. These people have been depriving themselves of the oxygen their brains need for months if not longer by keeping their heads up their butts.

Re: Currituck decision reached #35730 07/24/03 12:06 PM
OP Offline
The meeting that was scheduled for yesterday was cancelled. It is really anybody's guess when the final decision will be published

Beacon meeting canceled

Re: Currituck decision reached #35731 07/24/03 12:14 PM
Lighthouser Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
We have just received this message from OBC, Inc. this morning...

Quote:
Here is what we know up to this minute. Manson has made his decision and there is a winner and there is a loser, the press release is written, his findings about why he made the decision have been written but for some reason he is still not releasing it. It was to have been released last Friday by DOI. The President’s Council on Environmental Quality stopped it. We do not know why. Please encourage anyone who wishes to ask Manson why he is continuing to hold the release to please call him at 202/208-5347 or email him at Craig_Manson@ios.doi.gov.

Thanks to everyone for continuing to support Currituck Beach Lighthouse! This must not happen to another lighthouse!!

Melody
(Melody is an official spokesperson at OBC, Inc.)

Judy

Judy
Re: Currituck decision reached #35732 07/30/03 01:39 PM
Shirin Offline
How is this for news?

Whoopi !! Open the champagne.
The long fought battle on who should get ownership of North Carolina's Currituck Beach Lighthouse has been won!!
The Outer Banks Conservationists (OBC) have officially been awarded ownership of the Curritick Beach Lighthouse! They are to be congratulated for not only winning ownership of the lighthouse but also, for never giving up the battle!
In his statement Craig Manson stated, "Today, I have determined that the Outer Banks Conservationists, Inc. of Manteo, NC, should have ownership of the historic Currituck Beach Lighthouse".
We are proud of the role that the American Lighthouse Foundation and it's members played with telegrams, phone calls and emails to keep the pressure on. But, most of all, we are happy for OBC and their members and volunteers who worked so long and so hard to keep the Currituck Lighthouse, "the Peoples Lighthouse." We wish them continued future success.

Tim Harrison
President
American Lighthouse Foundation

Shirin
Re: Currituck decision reached #35733 07/30/03 03:53 PM
DMancini Offline
Manson sent out emails this morning to those folks who contacted him and indicated that OBC should get ownership. His email follows:

Date: 7/30/2003 10:48:51 AM Eastern Daylight Time

Today I have determined that the Outer Banks Conservationists, Inc., of Manteo, North Carolina, should have ownership of the historic Currituck Beach Lighthouse. My decision was made in accordance with the National Historic Lighthouse Preservation Act of 2000 (NHLPA).

Under the NHLPA, the preservation of the lighthouse comes first. The standard to be applied is the "best stewardship" standard; that is, on the record, which applicant appears best able to provide for the preservation of the lighthouse. No other consideration is relevant. That was the sole basis for today's decision.

The NHLPA is alive and well. The National Park Service soon will be announcing successful applicants for a number of other historic
lightstations.

As with all processes, we strive to learn and improve constantly in the lighthouse program. I have directed the National Park Service to
immediately commence a public process to develop improved policies for review of lighthouse applications, especially in cases where more than one entity has applied. All points of view will be considered in the NPS policy process and all who are interested in lighthouses or historic
preservation are encouraged to participate. Information will be made available soon about this process.

Congrats to OBC! See, sometimes the good guys actually DO WIN! laugh

Diane
Re: Currituck decision reached #35734 07/30/03 04:35 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
The good guys one. Politicians (including Judge Manson) zero.

How could he have decided otherwise?

Do I see the waves of 'backpedaling' there in his statement?

Re: Currituck decision reached #35735 07/30/03 04:48 PM
eastpoint Offline
Congratulations to OBC they are the only ones who should have been considered here. I hope the politicians in NC will now decide to help OBC and stop trying to end their great effort to preserve a great treasure. laugh laugh laugh

Hank

Re: Currituck decision reached #35736 07/30/03 06:21 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
A definite Congratulations to OBC and to their efforts. I think this decision caught many of us by surprise given the discussions that had taken place and Manson's previous statements. I really wonder if the public outcry that came down pretty squarely on Manson's shoulders did play a large part in this decision.

I am a little concerned about his directive to the NPS to come up with an improved system to review applications and decide who wins. It would seem to me that the system did work until such time as he became involved and started shooting from the hip and ignoring the law as written. The NPS professional staff did its job of reviewing the applications and deciding who would be the better steward of this precious resource. It is only when the political hacks got involved that the process fell apart.

Re: Currituck decision reached #35737 07/30/03 07:52 PM
Cana Fan Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
We can only hope that the NPS ignores any recommendations this jack*** makes and sticks to the system they have, the system that picked the rightful owner fair and square the first time. I guess this just proves that the public can actually weild some power with those making the decisions, if the voices speak load enough and there's enough of them. It's just a shame it had to come down to this in the first place.

It gives you pause to think how many other things have been ramrodded down unsuspecting folks throats when they didn't know about it. If it had not been for what appears to be a pretty powerful lighthouse lobby, this may have never been stopped.

I'm proud to be part of that lobby!

Mike

Re: Currituck decision reached #35738 07/30/03 08:06 PM
Ron Offline
Congratulations to OBC. laugh laugh

Re: Currituck decision reached #35739 07/30/03 08:08 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Gee, whatever happened to the involvement of the White House in this decision? Didn't his dishonor Manson say it was now up to the EPA or some other WH agency?

I think I must agree that someone put him straight (or perhaps many of us put him straight) on what his duty was.

Interesting there at the end when he said, in effect, "I've already reached a decision but I want the two parties to negotiate and work together."

Re: Currituck decision reached #35740 07/30/03 09:11 PM
PFC Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
CONGRATULATIONS OUTER BANKS CONSERVATIONISTS

You have fought a long hard battle and you have won! The ownership of the Currituck Beach Lighthouse is no longer up in the air! The Outer Banks Conservationists are now the owners of the Currituck Beach Lighthouse and rightfully so!

All Americans who care about preserving our historic lighthouses for future generations to enjoy are now standing up and cheering for the decision which was handed down by Assistant Secretary Craig Manson.

The National Historic Lighthouse Preservation Act of 2000 is alive and well and working just as it was intended to do to preserve our historic lighthouses!

I offer my personal congratulations and best wishes to all members of the Outer Banks Conservationists and to all members of the Lighthouse Community who helped make this possible.

All my best,
Paul Conlin
Acting Secretary,

Help Save Our Lighthouses!

Become a part of the
P.O. Box 565
Rockland, Maine 04841

207 594-4174

www.lighthousefoundation.org
Re: Currituck decision reached #35741 07/30/03 10:20 PM
Lighthouser Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Congratulations to the good folks over at OBC,Inc.! Happy Days Are Here Again!

Our beloved Currituck Beach Lighthouse is now in the hands of the group that has nourished it faithfully all these years.

OBC,Inc, never gave up...never gave in...and held their heads high throughout a long ordeal that we hope never happens again.

Let's all raise a glass tonight to the Outer Banks Conservationists...and let them know that we will continue to support their efforts.

Judy smile

Judy
Re: Currituck decision reached #35742 07/30/03 10:27 PM
MtnHkr Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
GREAT DECISION!
wow!

Congratulations to the OBC. Perseverance and Prayer do work! YES!

Bert laugh laugh laugh

Bert

No mountain is too tall if your first step is belief. -Anonymous
Re: Currituck decision reached #35743 07/30/03 11:04 PM
AZlightkeeper Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
laugh laugh AWESOME!!! laugh laugh

Jim
Re: Currituck decision reached #35744 07/30/03 11:45 PM
OP Offline
This is truly great news. Congrats to the OBC!

For those of you who are interested, here is a link to Judge Manson's justification for his decision:

http://data2.itc.nps.gov/release/Detail.cfm?ID=390 (below the press release)

Re: Currituck decision reached #35745 07/30/03 11:49 PM
OP Offline
The county and Cong. Jones are already complaining about the decision:

Feds award Currituck light to nonprofit

Re: Currituck decision reached #35746 07/31/03 02:15 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
Manson acknowledged that "a different panel of reviewers might reasonably score the county's application significantly higher" than the committee of national parks staff did.
The only way this could have happened would have been to have a committee of either Currituck County politicians, a group that took bribes, or had a combined IQ in the single digit range.

From the sound of Jones' tirade, it could be a rough road for OBC. Interesting that there is suddenly a CG investigation of the group?? Another one of Jones' mis-directions of Federal tax money to try and suit his own wants???

Re: Currituck decision reached #35747 07/31/03 02:39 PM
Larry Offline
Dave,
He didn't say another panel would have awarded Currituck the lighthouse, just that they may have scored them higher. :rolleyes: Maybe 135, or so.

Actually, his full decision is an interesting read. I think this is the key statement:

"Furthermore, while OBC is focused on historic preservation, the County seems to be concerned primarily with “public” ownership of the lighthouse."

I also like the 227-page vs. 2-page Preservation and Maintenance Plans. "We were told we needed to be concise." Wah.

Re: Currituck decision reached #35748 08/01/03 01:01 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
More Crap from the politicians in Currituck County:

http://home.hamptonroads.com/stories/story.cfm?story=57735&ran=200317

Can you say 'sour grapes'?

Re: Currituck decision reached #35749 08/01/03 10:56 AM
Lighthouser Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
This message comes from Melody, the financial officer at the office of the Outer Banks Conservationists...

Quote:
Thank you, thank you, thank you from the bottom of our hearts. I am speaking for all of us here at OBC. The board loved to read the post here and could not beleive all the support out there. They were so touched. It is amazing what a ground swell the lighthouse community can cause to happen and I am so proud to be a part of it. It is honorable.

It was a wonderful day in the office on Wednesday. The news was very difficult to beleive at first because we have been waiting for so long. We will do what ever we are able to do to assit others as they are going through the process. Kathy Fleming is meeting in November with other lighthouse movers and shakers to hold a workshop on the NLHPA. It is a wonderful gathering of the minds to present the Act in a forum tackling the many aspects of it and how to get through it. It is hoped that some changes are made to it prior to. They certainly need regs. AND politics should NEVER play a part

Again, we will never be able to say how very much your support is appreciated. Thank you all so very much. Stay tuned because it certainly is not over for us at OBC. The county is planning revenge and not planning on budgeting for schools, or clean water, or a neuter spray program for the local shelter.

Happy Friday to you! Melody
Judy smile smile smile

Judy
Re: Currituck decision reached #35750 08/01/03 11:02 AM
Lighthouser Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
The following article appeared in the Richmond Times Dispatch yesterday...one of the most informed articles I've read...

http://www.timesdispatch.com/news/more/MGB633B4SID.html

These county officials sound like little children...I hope all their stupid juvenile threats come back to bite them where it hurts the most...at the election polls!

Polititians...here today...gone tomorrow!

Judy

Judy
Re: Currituck decision reached #35751 08/01/03 12:28 PM
silverfox51 Offline
Wacko
Wacko
A phrase from my youth pops into mind (Probably dating myself here) CRY BABY CRY BABY frown frown frown

Re: Currituck decision reached #35752 08/01/03 04:42 PM
Brent Offline
A Great Victory.....and a Greater Precedent smile

Brent
OBLHS Charter Member

Moderated by  PFC 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 651 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users