cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Maryland Lighthouse Challenge - A Volunteer's Viewpoint #35717 09/17/03 03:10 PM
R
rgurskey Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
R
I was one of the volunteer's at Point Lookout both Saturday and Sunday.

The drive down to the state park Friday afternoon did not bode well for the weekend. Rain all the way. I was staying in one of the park's cabins. After checking in, I went to find my fellow volunteers, Al and Betty Smith from NJ. They were camping in the park. We went to Boomerang's near Calvert Cty museum with other volunteers who would be working at Cove Pt and Drum Pt. More rain all night long.

When I arrived at the lighthouse Saturday morning the rain had stopped but the sky was overcast. The park people had provided a canopy tent, table and 3 chairs for our use. Al and Betty brought another table and after setup we were ready to go. About 45 minutes later the sun began to appear, and Saturday ended up being a very nice day. A little windy in the afternoon.

Our first visitors, who were also starting at our location, were from Dallas, TX. The second couple after from was from Mississippi. Saturday we had 467 Challenge participants and 98 walkins to see the lighthouse. [Normally, Point Lookout is only open the first Saturday in November, so many locals took the opportunity to step inside and visit.] Of those who signed our guest book, 17 states and one foreign country were represented. A gentlemen from India was visiting friends in Maryland and they suggested he join them for the Challenge. We didn't think we would see anyone from further away, so we gave him a LLOM as a door prize.

Some highlights from Saturday: meeting DaveH and Shirin from the forums, meeting a gentleman from Minnesota who got the bug awhile back and has visited 245 lighthouses in two years [It has taken me 11 years to do that.] Occassionally, when someone left they would say "Thank you for volunteering to do this." Al Smith says those people really understand what is involved in such a project.

After closing up shop Saturday, we joined our friends from Drum Point and had dinner at Ruby Tuesday's in Lexington Park. We had asked Kim Andrews to join us, but I understand she left Drum Point early and had returned to her motel to sleep.

Sunday morning featured clear blue skies. I saw four deer on the way to the lighthouse. In fact our first visitor was waiting for use to arrive. Early in the morning two Navy fighters had a little dogfight above the lighthouse. Quite interesting to see and hear! Sunday two more states were added to the guestbook. We had 418 Challenge participants and 100 walkins. We didn't get our first finisher until the afternoon. Everyone seemed to be going to Piney Point and then Fort Washington to finish. Finally around 1:00 or so, we had our first finisher. We presented a Spoontique to her for being our first completer. The woman was part of a group, but the rest of her party had stopped to reload their cameras so she got the prize.

Later we had a hear-impaired couple who stopped by and then were going to Piney Point to finish. However, their car wouldn't start. Trying to get a tow truck was difficult but eventually it arrived. The gentlemen wrote us a note "No problem for us to wait for a towing truck. But I want to know about the stamps. We only have one more to go -- Piney Point!" Well, we got his address and said that we would mail Piney Point stamps to him. I put Challenge Completion stamps on their forms. Not counting this couple we had 17 people complete the challenge at Point Lookout on Sunday.

I know the Point Lookout people were pleased because lots of merchandise left there giftshop and I saw lots of money going into the donation box. Many people asked if the Challenge will happen again next year, but we don't have an answer for that. One gentleman who complete at Point Lookout said that since he has now done the Challenge, he would be willing to volunteer next year.

I had a great time and I know Al and Betty did too. Thanks to everyone who came. Maybe I'll see some of you next month in New Jersey.

Robert Gurskey

Re: Maryland Lighthouse Challenge - A Volunteer's Viewpoint #35718 09/17/03 04:24 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Thanks for that great report!

Not bad -- with almost 1,000 visitors including almost 900 participants in the challenge. It was a great day for Maryland Lighthouses and for Maryland Lighthouse lovers.

Can you refresh my memories on which lighthouses were included? Was it just the land-based lights? Or could you view Thomas Point from the shore and get a 'credit' for that one too?

Re: Maryland Lighthouse Challenge - A Volunteer's Viewpoint #35719 09/17/03 04:29 PM
Shirin Offline
Robert - I'm sure you had a great weekend with Al and Betty! They are a great couple to work with at lighthouses!

John the Challenge lights were:
Ft. Washington
Piney Pt.
Pt. Lookout
Cove Pt.
Drum Pt.
Hooper Strait
Chesapeake Lightship
7 Ft. Knoll
Concord Pt.
Turkey Pt.

Shirin
Re: Maryland Lighthouse Challenge - A Volunteer's Viewpoint #35720 09/17/03 04:43 PM
Lighthouser Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I met you at Point Lookout Saturday morning, Robert. We both had on our Wacko badges! I took some photos of you and Al & Betty, too!

I'll go on record to say how much I appreciate you as a volunteer, and all the others that helped make it such a wonderful weekend. Being an event planner, I know first hand all the hard work that goes into seeing that an event runs smoothly, and all the hours the volunteers put in.

I'm sorry I won't make it for New Jersey's Challenge this year...it's the same weekend as the 200th Birthday Celebration of Cape Hatteras. But I'll be back next year. Last year I got to all but East Point.

Thanks again for your help in making last weekend such a big success!

Judy smile

Judy
Re: Maryland Lighthouse Challenge - A Volunteer's Viewpoint #35721 09/24/03 01:58 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Now that I am home and trying to get caught up, I would like to thank all the volunteers from the Chesapeake Chapter for the great job they did with the Challenge. It was well organized and the volunteers were all friendly and helpful. After a rainy start with Bryan Acree at Fort Washington, the weather improved greatly. Also saw Joyce (Bonniebert) and Bob at their lights.

Thanks, volunteers, for making the Challenge a fun event for those of us who were able to participate.

Dave

Re: Maryland Lighthouse Challenge - A Volunteer's Viewpoint #35722 09/24/03 01:29 PM
Shirin Offline
Couldn't agree with you more Dave. The volunteers really helped make the weekend great!

I think a special thank you to Karen and Dave Rosage are also in order as they were the head coordinators for the weekend. It was obvious that they put in a huge number of hours to have the weekend go as smoothly as it did. I was talking with Karen Sunday morning at Seven Ft. Knoll in Baltimore and it sounded like there were very few glitches during the weekend. I was so happy to hear that all had gone well to that point. I'm looking forward to catchip up with Dave and Karen next month on the Outer Banks. Hopefully they will be more relaxed now that the Challenge is over.

Shirin

Moderated by  PFC 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,317 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users