cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Fire Island hopes to reclaim It's Crown Jewel (A First Order Fresnel Lens) #35413 06/10/99 10:56 AM
rscroope Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Fire Island was built in 1858, and the lens was removed from the tower and lent to the Franklin Institute in Philadelphia by the federal government in 1933. The Franklin Institute is going to start a 5 year renovation project in the next few months and the lens might become available. The Fire Island Preservation Society who has been trying to get the return of the Lens does not have place to display it.YOU MUST BE KIDDING ME!!!!
If the Coast Guard transfers the lens back to Fire Island, it would temporarily displayed at the Staten Island Lighthouse Museum until the new National Seashore Visitors Center in Patchogue is constructed (if funded) or in the Maritime Museum in West Sayville which is prepared to display it now.I'M GLAD SOMEBODY KNOWS THE VALUE!!
There are only 31 first order lens remaining
around the country.

------------------
Long Island BOB

[This message has been edited by rscroope (edited 06-10-99).]

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Fire Island hopes to reclaim It's Crown Jewel (A First Order Fresnel Lens) #35414 06/10/99 07:54 PM
Wildbird99 Offline
Hi Bob,

I'd like to add some comments on the matter of the FI First Order lens.

I was at the home of Dr. Gayle Haines the other day and we were speaking about this very topic. Gayle is the person who has been trying to get the lens back [She was the Fire Island Lighthouse Preservation Society (FILPS) President from 91-98, is a board member for the new National Lighthouse Center and Museum (NLCM), and is the President of Lighthouse Safaris, Inc.]. She showed me some of the letters she has written about this and discussed some of the issues at hand. Some of these were not mentioned in the Newsday article you saw.

One problem in getting the lens has been getting co-operation from the Franklin Institute. Despite numerous attempts to initiate a dialog between FILPS, Fire Island National Seashore (FINS) and the Franklin Institute, the institute has rarely, if ever, returned calls and letters. Despite the fact that the lens has no "real" meaning in Philly, the institute has dismissed attempts to return it to NY. Now that the lens may be in their way during renovation, they are beginning to loosen their grip a bit.

Another problem has been finding a place to put it. A First Order lens is huge, as you know. I happen to ahve a photo of this very lens we're discussing right next to my monitor, and I can tell you that the facilities at the FI light at present could not house, let alone provide security for, a priceless First Order lens.

Another problem is, of course, money. The lens will have to be disassembled, insured, shipped, and reassembled. The area in which it is to be displayed will have to provide adequate space and security. All of these things cost big bucks. If the FILPS were to get it back, it would first require a big fund-raising effort. My understanding is that at the moment the FILPS is already short on money.

Another issue regarding this lens is the matter of putting it where it will be accessible to the greatest number of viewers. A spot at the new NLCM would guarantee many viewers and would, therefore, provide for the greatest educational benefit. Accessibility is an issue here. It could affect the transfer of the lens to NY.

The Fire Island light is a beauty, as is its lens. I'm not indifferent to the emotional and nostalgic allure. I don't know of too many folks that will get up at 3:30 to go photograph the FI light, and I take a ride past it whenever I visit Gayle's home on Captree Island. Unfortunately, there are matters that restrict the abilities of preservationists to follow their hearts.

Here's hoping that the lens comes home soon.

Bob Muller
Stony Brook, NY
wildbird99@aol.com
www.longislandlighthouses.com

Re: Fire Island hopes to reclaim It's Crown Jewel (A First Order Fresnel Lens) #35415 06/11/99 10:13 AM
rscroope Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Thanks for the insight, Bob. It helps to explain the problems of reclaiming the lens.

Hoping the return of the lens becomes a reality in the near future.

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Fire Island hopes to reclaim It's Crown Jewel (A First Order Fresnel Lens) #35416 06/11/99 03:26 PM
Lighthousedude Offline
Hey all you Long Island Lighthousedudes!!!

There was an article in yestredays Newsday about The F.I. Lens coming home.

The closer it gets the better as far as I'm concerned. The main thing is that wherever it resides is that it gets there without damage and that the setting it will reside in justifies the beauty of the lens.

Of course Fire Island would be the proper place for it too bad there just isn't enough space for it.

Bob, thanks for the heads up on this wonderful news and Bob thanks for the additional information about it.

Keep the Flame!!

[This message has been edited by Mike Seewald (edited 06-11-99).]

Re: Fire Island hopes to reclaim It's Crown Jewel (A First Order Fresnel Lens) #35417 06/16/99 10:16 PM
Wildbird99 Offline
Thought you folks might find this interesting...

Now this is nothing official yet, but recieved an e-mail this morning (or was it last night? Duh.) about the FI lens. The USCG Group Commander (in Center Moriches, I believe) was contacted and it sounds like he's willing to work with the project. The CG may be willing and able to store the lens until a permanent home can be found for it.

That could, and I stress the uncertainty of that last word, mean that the Fire Island folks would have time to try to arrange a way to make room for the lens. If I were a betting man, my money would still be on the National Museum in Staten Island, but there is a slight ray of hope (pardon the illuminating apparatus pun) that the lens could come home after almost 70 years.

Don't quote me on this. And don't bet the farm. But don't give up hope just yet.

Looking at my FI lens postcard with a slight gleem in my eye...

Bob Muller

Re: Fire Island hopes to reclaim It's Crown Jewel (A First Order Fresnel Lens) #35418 06/17/99 10:07 AM
rscroope Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
That's Outstanding news Bob, I hope it comes true.

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Fire Island hopes to reclaim It's Crown Jewel (A First Order Fresnel Lens) #35419 06/19/99 12:25 AM
Art Offline
Er, has anyone thought of putting the lens back where it came from -- in the Fire Island lantern room? With minor rearrangement there should be enough space for it up there.

------------------
-Art

-Art
Re: Fire Island hopes to reclaim It's Crown Jewel (A First Order Fresnel Lens) #35420 06/26/99 10:53 PM
Wildbird99 Offline
Hi Art,

There's no way then light will ever reside atop the FI tower again. There are too many problems associated with doing so.

First, the USCG would never allow it. A First Order lens would require much more upkeep than a DCB-224. I have no idea how the issue of insuring the light would even be addressed, then. Plus, there are probably some regulations about coastal lights. Offhand, I don't know the candlepower ratings or ranges of a DCB-224 vs. First Order Fresnel with 1000-watt lamp, but I doubt there's too much of a difference.

Second, I can't even begin to imagine the cost and risk of trying to get one of those 160 feet up into the lantern room. Even piece by piece. It's too valuable to risk, and too costly to justify.

Third, even if it were to be installed, there's a greater risk of storm or bird damage in a glass-enclosed lantern than in a properly setup museum setting. While the FI light has never, so far as I can find, been plagued by the sort of bird strike problems that caused the Shinnecock light to have metal screening outside the lantern, it still sits in the middle of the Atlantic migration flyway.

In a museum, the educational value of the lens is maximized, as is its earning potential. I hate to bring money into the equation, but that's a BIG factor in lighthouse preservation.

In an ideal world, perhaps all of our lights would have Fresnel lenses. But I don't see that ideal world on the horizon.

Bob Muller
Stony Brook, NY
wildbird99@aol.com

Re: Fire Island hopes to reclaim It's Crown Jewel (A First Order Fresnel Lens) #35421 07/07/99 04:49 PM
Augie K. Offline
I will be going to Long Island in two weeks. Hopefully, I can get an update on the the Fire Island Fresnel Lens. I'll keep you posted.

------------------
Keep The Light Burning.

The Flame

[This message has been edited by TheFlame (edited 07-07-99).]

Augie K.
NELL Member
Re: Fire Island hopes to reclaim It's Crown Jewel (A First Order Fresnel Lens) #35422 07/07/99 05:04 PM
JohnL Offline
Wacko
Wacko
I hope that all works out with the Lens. Having visited the FI Lighthouse many times, I hope that they can find a place to display the lens somewhere at the Fire Island Light.

John

Wave after wave will flow in the tide and bury the world as it does.
Re: Fire Island hopes to reclaim It's Crown Jewel (A First Order Fresnel Lens) #35423 07/09/99 01:50 AM
Art Offline
I realize the improbabilities, Bob. Just waxing nostalgic.

------------------
-Art

-Art
Re: Fire Island hopes to reclaim It's Crown Jewel (A First Order Fresnel Lens) #35424 07/11/99 08:58 PM
Wildbird99 Offline
Art,

I can certainly understand the nostalgia involved when it comes to Fresnel lenses. I just returned from Florida and spent much time at the Ponce Inlet light. They have a Fresnel display which includes the repaired First Order lens from Cape Canaveral and the Third Order lens which had been in the Ponce Inlet light. The historian there, Tom Taylor, was part of the team that restored the Cape Canaveral lens and he let me actually go inside that lens. It was a strange feeling in there.

The Cape Canaveral lens has had parts of the lens replaced with acrylic and you can see the difference if you know what you're looking for. But it's still a beautiful lens. The acrylic is MUCH cheaper to produce and gives off a good light. If an organization were to try to restore a Fresnel lens in their lantern room, acrylic might be a good way to go. That way, you still get the historic look, but without the risks to an irreplaceable piece of history.

I'll have an area on my site later this week or next weekend about my trip to St. Augustine and Ponce Inlet if anyone wants to take a peek. And if you ever get the chance to visit either light, do so. Both facilities are impressive.

Bob Muller
Stony Brook, NY
wildbird99@aol.com

Re: Fire Island hopes to reclaim It's Crown Jewel (A First Order Fresnel Lens) #35425 07/12/99 09:54 AM
JohnL Offline
Wacko
Wacko
The Fresnel display at the Ponce Inlet Lighthouse is amazing. They also have a very interesting video running while you tour the little building holding the lenses. St. Augustine has a great museum located in the keepers quarters.
I'm looking foward to seeing your trip on your sight.

John

Wave after wave will flow in the tide and bury the world as it does.
Re: Fire Island hopes to reclaim It's Crown Jewel (A First Order Fresnel Lens) #35426 07/12/99 07:20 PM
Wildbird99 Offline
Hello again,

I checked to see if there is any news about the FI lens. We probably won't hear anything until late August or September. That's when the Franklin Institute is supposed to have an answer. Wish I had more on this.

Bob Muller
Stony Brook, NY
wildbird99@aol.com

Re: Fire Island hopes to reclaim It's Crown Jewel (A First Order Fresnel Lens) #35427 07/12/99 08:35 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Here's a couple of photos of that Cape Canaveral First Order Fresnel on display at Ponce de Leon FL - taken in June 1997.

Without something in the picture to judge the scale, it's hard to appreciate the size.

Too bad Bob wasn't around on this trip - he could have parked the Harley in front.

John

[This message has been edited by JChidester (edited 07-12-99).]

Re: Fire Island hopes to reclaim It's Crown Jewel (A First Order Fresnel Lens) #35428 07/13/99 11:57 PM
Wildbird99 Offline
John,

Nice shots of that lens. Did you notice the difference between the glass and acrylic prisms? You can even see the difference on the light on the walls as it rotates.

Fresnel lenses are the sort of thing you can just stand and watch for a while. Or is it just me?

I'll have some images of that lens on my site by next week. It's a nice lens with a bit of history.

Bob Muller
Stony Brook, NY
wildbird99@aol.com

Moderated by  PFC 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,980
Posts184,642
Members2,583
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,178 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
coloradolights, PortageRivrLight, DenizensofDeep, Rtubbs, SafeHarbor
2583 Registered Users