Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
What's the scheme of things? #35396 03/18/00 02:57 AM
Y
youngone Offline OP
OP Offline
Y
My wife and I were discussing lights the other day, (something that doesn't happen all that often), and she asked if there is significance to the paint scheme of lighthouses, especially the NC lights. I thought it to be a good question. Does anybody know why some have diamonds, some have stripes, etc? Thanks!

Re: What's the scheme of things? #35397 03/18/00 03:45 AM
Art Offline
I'm not sure who got to choose paint schemes or why particular ones were chosen. I do know that they are intended to be unique "day marks" -- means of lighthouse identification during times of good visibility -- that cannot be easily confused with the day marks of other nearby lighthouses. The paint job in itself was an aid to navagation.

Similarly, the flashing characteristics of lighthouses differ from one light to the next and serve as unique signatures. By day or by night, a mariner approaching the coast could get a good idea of where he's headed.

Lighthouses would have been considerably less useful if the only thing they conveyed was "I am a lighthouse." Since some lights are intended to mark the entry to a harbor while others warn sailors away from dangerous rocks and shoals, it is essential that the mariner knows exactly which lighthouse he is observing.

Specifically regarding the NC lights, there's a story about the Cape Lookout black-and-white diamond day mark that says the wrong tower was painted this way. According to the story, the diamond pattern was intended to warn of the treacherous Diamond Shoal near Cape Hatteras, and the paint scheme was therefor intended for Hatteras Light but mistakenly applied to Cape Lookout. By most accounts, this story is false, but it makes a good story.

------------------
-Art

-Art
Re: What's the scheme of things? #35398 03/18/00 01:37 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
One more thing. There was a time when the NUMBER of lighthouses was also a 'sign' of where you were along the shore. (This was before the system of flash patterns was developed.)

Thus the 'Three Sisters of Nauset' with three lighthouses clustered and the twin lights of Navesink NJ, Nobska MA, Cape Elizabeth ME and Thatcher Island MA.

I guess those who planned such things felt that mariners of that era could at least know whether they were approaching Portland, Cape Cod, or NY Harbor by dead reckoning.

Re: What's the scheme of things? #35399 03/18/00 02:57 PM
Y
youngone Offline OP
OP Offline
Y
Thanks Art & Saint J.

That was my opinion that it was used as a daytime beacon to let navigators know by the scheme of the light. The other info I had no idea. This is quite interesting and I'm going to have to dig around some more for this.
Thanks again!

Re: What's the scheme of things? #35400 03/18/00 04:51 PM
Brent Offline
I guess Art summed it up pretty accurately. That's one of the reasons why Carrituck is unique (on the Outer Banks).

Brent
OBLHS Charter Member
Re: What's the scheme of things? #35401 03/19/00 07:45 AM
RezmanDale Offline
I read somewhere that a red lighthouse at the entrence to a harbour ment that the entrance was to the left of the light as you approached. And the a white one meant the the Harbour was to the right. I haven't been able to find where I read this. Is this true?

Dale |:-{

Re: What's the scheme of things? #35402 03/19/00 02:09 PM
hcorey Offline
The color scheme of aids to navigation is RED RIGHT RETURNING (from the sea). I do not know if this is followed in the color of lighthouses at harbor enterances. Will also check and see if I can get an answer.

Harry

Re: What's the scheme of things? #35403 03/19/00 02:48 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
I believe I "read" something lately that stated if you saw the red sector of the light at Eastern Point Lighthouse in Gloucester, Ma you were in big trouble, the white you were on course. Perhaps Sean could shed some light on this subject?

Re: What's the scheme of things? #35404 03/19/00 07:02 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Holland Harbor MI follows that 'Red Right Returning' - coming in off Lake Michigan it is on the right of the channel.

Re: What's the scheme of things? #35405 03/19/00 09:17 PM
S
SThompson Offline
Administrator
Administrator
S
I'm not sure about that lighthouse but in theory you are correct Mombo. The color red may be more than just a flash characteristic making it different from other lighthouses. It is possible that a Lens might be sectored so that it will warn you when you are straying into shoal (dangerous waters). Many of the Reef Lights a.k.a. Screw Pile Lighthouses along the Florida Keys (Straits of Florida) are sectored in this way.

Sean

[This message has been edited by SThompson (edited 03-19-2000).]

Re: What's the scheme of things? #35406 03/20/00 08:40 AM
RezmanDale Offline
Thanks guys for all the info. I believe Jupiter inlet an Ponce inlet fit that description as well these lights are to the right of the channel or harbour inlets. Also Angels Gate is on the left of tte channel and is white and black.

The PBS series discussed lights with the red section of the Lantern room glass lining up with trouble.

Dale|:-{

Moderated by  PFC 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,980
Posts184,642
Members2,583
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,301 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
coloradolights, PortageRivrLight, DenizensofDeep, Rtubbs, SafeHarbor
2583 Registered Users