Print Thread
Old Mackinaw point to open to the public in 2004 #35352 10/09/03 06:49 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Here is the text of an e-mail I received, from the West Michigan tourist association, I am on their mailing list since requesting Mackinaw City tourism info 2 years ago.

TRAVEL NEWS
From the West Michigan Tourist Association

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE -- October 9, 2003

putmant@michigan.gov or 906-847-3328

Old Mackinac Point Lighthouse
Opens to Public Tours in 2004

(MACKINAW CITY, Mich.) -- Mackinaw City, Mich. - For the first time in over fifty years, Great Lakes lighthouse fans will be able to climb the circular stairway to the top of the Old Mackinac Point Lighthouse tower in Mackinaw City and take in the panoramic view of the Straits of Mackinac. Mackinac State Historic Parks (MSHP) plans to open the lighthouse to public tours on June 12, 2004.

"The opening of the Old Mackinac Point Light Station tower and keepers' dwelling will show a restoration in progress," said MSHP Curator of Collections Steve Brisson. "Visitors will see up close what has been accomplished in the on-going restoration of the building - and the work that still needs to be completed."

The entire first floor of the structure will be fully accessible to all visitors. Placed throughout the building, interesting and exciting exhibits will highlight the history and operation of the station. A number of hands-on exhibits are planned that will be fun and informative for both children and adults. Visitors will see original artifacts from the station, including the beautiful brass and glass Fresnel lens that lit the Straits of Mackinac for over sixty years.

MSHP will fully restore and furnish the kitchen of the keeper's dwelling to its 1910 appearance to show visitors what to expect once the full restoration is complete.

Guides in historic costumes will be stationed within the lighthouse to assist visitors, provide historical information, conduct tours of the grounds and lead small groups up the tower.

Admission is tentatively set at $5 for adults, $3 for children (5-17), and free to children five and under. Group rates will be available. Revenue from admissions is one way MSHP is raising $2.4 million needed for complete restoration. Donations are another.

"Hopefully, people will be inspired by the history, charm and current condition of this landmark structure to donate funds to continue the restoration," noted Brisson.

MSHP has raised over $230,000 through donations, revenue from sales at the Lighthouse gift store and three lighthouse assistance grants from the Michigan State Historic Preservation Office. Workers will complete necessary restoration work on roofs and windows this winter.

The lighthouse is a popular landmark in Mackinaw City, clearly visible to the 4.7 million travelers crossing the Mackinac Bridge a few hundred yards to the west. Visitors have long enjoyed strolling the grounds, picnicking in Michilimackinac State Park and peering in the windows of the lighthouse. Built in 1892, it guided ships through the dangerous straits until 1957. The U.S. Coast Guard decommissioned the lighthouse when the navigation lights on the Mackinac Bridge rendered it obsolete.

Mackinac State Historic Parks is a family of living history museums and parks in Northern Michigan’s Straits of Mackinac region including Fort Mackinac and Mackinac Island State Park on Mackinac Island, as well as Colonial Michilimackinac and Historic Mill Creek in Mackinaw City. The sites are accredited by the American Association of Museums. Visitor information is located on the web at www.MackinacParks.com; and by phone at 906-847-3328 or 231-436-4100.

###

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To have your name removed from this mailing list, please reply back to media@wmta.org and include "REMOVE" in the subject line.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Photos available upon request.

Dianna Stampfler
Marketing & Media Director
West Michigan Tourist Association
950 28th Street SE, Suite E-200
Grand Rapids, MI 495048
800-442-2084, ext. 106
616-245-2760- fax
www.wmta.org
media@wmta.org

Nobody Knows West Michigan Like We Do!

Re: Old Mackinaw point to open to the public in 2004 #35353 10/09/03 11:57 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Finally! May have to make a trip north next summer.

Re: Old Mackinaw point to open to the public in 2004 #35354 10/10/03 01:09 AM
2beacons Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
When we were there last month we were told the same thing. That it would be open next summer.

Mary

Re: Old Mackinaw point to open to the public in 2004 #35355 10/10/03 08:31 AM
Shirin Offline
Great news! Now I have yet another reason to plan a trip out that way. smile

Shirin
Re: Old Mackinaw point to open to the public in 2004 #35356 10/10/03 12:25 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Shirin,

We can hook you up with more lighthouses in less time here in the Midwest. Remember, Michigan has more lights (by a bunch) than any other state. Add in the rest of the states that surround the Great Lakes and you have lots of viewing opportunities. You need to be scheduling that trip . . . . . .

Re: Old Mackinaw point to open to the public in 2004 #35357 10/10/03 01:02 PM
Shirin Offline
I was going to visit MI earlier this year. I had everything ready to go from hotel rooms to driving directions to the lights I wanted to see. But, other things came up and I had to cancel. Glad I did, otherwise I wouldn't have had the vacation time to attend my sister's wedding in Tennessee next month or to see my new nephew. Funny how things work out sometimes.

I loved my Wisconsin lighthouse tour, 20 lights in 2 days a couple of years ago so Michigan has to come soon. I'll have to see what I can do for 2004

Shirin
Re: Old Mackinaw point to open to the public in 2004 #35358 10/10/03 08:18 PM
DocJ44 Offline
What good news this is! Old Mackinac is such a great lighthouse! I can't wait until next summer.

Doc John

Moderated by  PFC 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,356 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users