Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Interesting article in latest Lighthouse Digest.. #35236 07/08/09 03:43 PM
WackoPaul Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
There is an article on Michigan City's Love Affair With It's Lighthouse. The article is written by a free-lance writer who lives in Michigan City by the name of Rick A. Richards. It is interesting in that he talks about what the light means to the city other than it's original function of guiding boats in and out of the harbor. It kind of sums it up as the city's mascot.

There are a couple of glaring errors in the article one by the author and one by someone he interviewed. First a person that he interviewed stated that the Michigan City Lighthouse was the only Indiana lighthouse, this isn't true. There are at least three other lesser lights, which you need a boat to see them.
Gary Breakwater Light
Buffington Harbor Breakwater Light
Indiana Harbor East Breakwater Light
The author didn't correct the person in the article about that bit of wrong information.

The second and most glaring error to me is that he never mentioned Harriet Colfax once in the article even though he touched on the history of the original Old Michigan City Lighthouse and the Pier Light. I know it's more about the town but Harriet was reason behind the building of the Pier Light.

The best news about the Michigan City Pier Light isn't in the article because it is just now happening! The city is taking over the care and maintenance of the Pier Light building while the Coast Guard will continue to to be responsible for the maintenance of the Pier and the actual bulbs in the light. This is to happen yet this month..

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: Interesting article in latest Lighthouse Digest.. #35237 07/10/09 04:44 PM
R
rgurskey Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
R
On my recent trip to Chicago, I stopped in Michigan City. I didn't realize the lighthouse didn't open until 1:00 pm (we were there around noon) but walked around the building and saw the docent in the basement doorway. She let us in and we took the tour.

She did make one comment which I thought was rather odd. She said the pierhead light was not a true lighthouse because it didn't contain living quarters for the keeper.

By that definition Cape Hatteras, Currituck, Barnegat, Sandy Hook, Heceta Head and lots of others aren't lighthouses.

When I get my film developed I'll post some pictures and make Flacoastie happy.

Re: Interesting article in latest Lighthouse Digest.. #35238 07/10/09 04:54 PM
WackoPaul Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
They now have Summer hours and are open at 10:00AM except on Monday when they are closed.. The director said the earlier hours have helped pick up the traffic at the Museum and is something they will try and do in the future. They really are in need of some more docents, all of our club members are from to far away to help out in that way.

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: Interesting article in latest Lighthouse Digest.. #35239 07/14/09 07:02 PM
Mark Wagner Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
"The second and most glaring error to me is that he never mentioned Harriet Colfax once in the article even though he touched on the history of the original Old Michigan City Lighthouse and the Pier Light. I know it's more about the town but Harriet was reason behind the building of the Pier Light."

Hopefully this rights the other wrong

http://nwitimes.com/lifestyles/local/article_e0570aaa-2cb9-57b2-8131-aff6d1b9760f.html

Mark

Moderated by  PFC 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
3 registered members (DANIEL, Rock, Dave H), 1,597 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users