cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Currituck needs your help !!! #35192 07/03/02 09:56 AM
Ron Offline OP
OP Offline
Currituckbeach lighthouse needs your help.
The federal government has determined taht Currituckbeach light is surplus. The people that have refirbished and have been running it daily would like to take over ownership,butthey need your help by signing a online petition. For more information and to sign the needed petition visit: www.currituckbeachlight.com
Thanks Ron

Re: Currituck needs your help !!! #35193 07/03/02 10:41 AM
eastpoint Offline
Ron
Thanks for posting this information for everyone on the forum to see. Let's go you wackos and sign this petition. I signed this morning and also added a message. If you have been to Currituck you know what a good job the OBC has done.

Hank

Re: Currituck needs your help !!! #35194 07/03/02 03:20 PM
Randy Kremer Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Thanks for the information Ron! I also signed the petition and gave my opinion in the message column. They have done an excellent job maintaining this wonderful lighthouse over the years. Please everyone, sign the petition and let them know you are in favor of not changing this light into someone else's hands!!

Re: Currituck needs your help !!! #35195 07/03/02 04:05 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Closed in General Forums and moved to Lighthouse Duty.
Bob

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Currituck needs your help !!! #35196 07/03/02 07:39 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I've added my name , now it's your turn.

We've got plenty of people on this forum and many friends and relatives.

Send the info to them and let them help also.

Dennis

Re: Currituck needs your help !!! #35197 07/03/02 08:48 PM
TexasLights Offline
Wacko
Wacko
OK, I did my part on behalf of this great group of preservationists. Terry

Re: Currituck needs your help !!! #35198 07/03/02 09:53 PM
LADYBUG Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Al and I had the pleasure of visiting Currituck Beach in September 2000. We were more than happy to sign the petition and add our support. Darlene

Re: Currituck needs your help !!! #35199 07/03/02 10:07 PM
Larry Offline
For some reason, me thinks the county government sees the daily crowds at the lighthouse and sees $$$$$$$$$$. Where was the county government when the light needed help and restoration?

I've posted the link in three places on my web site.

Re: Currituck needs your help !!! #35200 07/03/02 11:50 PM
R
RMau Offline
Wacko
Wacko
R
This article Currituck Beach Lighthouse was in the Charlotte Observer last week.

Rick

Re: Currituck needs your help !!! #35201 07/04/02 01:36 AM
MelJB Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I've added my name to the petition.

I tend to agree with Larry about the $$.

MelJB

Melody
Re: Currituck needs your help !!! #35202 07/04/02 11:22 AM
Brent Offline
I've signed the petition and made a few commends...with pleasure!!

Brent
OBLHS Charter Member
Re: Currituck needs your help !!! #35203 07/06/02 12:31 AM
B
Barb Kepple Offline
B
I've also signed the petition and forwarded it on - Currituck is a beautifully restored light and the OBC deserves to maintain control.

Barb

Barb
Re: Currituck needs your help !!! #35204 07/16/02 11:30 AM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I've gotten several replies from elected officials in NC and the tenor of most seems to be that they feel the restoration group are "outsiders" and may pick up and leave, while the county won't be going anywhere.

I also was told nicely that while they thank me for my opinion they really don't care what I think because I'm not one of their constituents. It's worded a little differently, but that the gist of the mening.

I think the Currituck Group has a uphill battle on their hands.

Dennis

Re: Currituck needs your help !!! #35205 07/16/02 11:34 AM
Elmer Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I signed the petition and am in support of the Conservationists too. I have just received this E-mail back from a Representative Owens .... thought it was pertinent and, as such, will post same.

"The people I represent in the North Carolina General Assembly support the
transfer of the Currituck Beach Lighthouse from the Federal government to
Currituck County. The lighthouse would be a valuable addition to the
Currituck County Whalehead Clubhouse property. I will do everything in my
power for Currituck County to get the lighthouse.

The Outer Banks Conservationists have done a great job; however, they do not
reside in Currituck County. I support Currituck County obtaining ownership
rather than a non-profit group who could be here today and gone tomorrow.
The County of Currituck will always be there. The people of Currituck
County deserve to have some say in something that is such a big part of
their heritage.

I do appreciate your input, but I must support the citizens I represent."

Bill Owens
Representative

I will be writing a letter to representative Owens in an attempt to make him see the error of his ways. It would appear that he has aligned himself with his constituency in this matter and it is doubtful that he will be swayed.

Dan

Re: Currituck needs your help !!! #35206 07/16/02 12:16 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Is he representing the people of Currituck County or the Board of Commissioners which may be only 5-7 people? One would have to believe the reason the county wants the light is they see it as a "cash cow" to be milked for years to come. It is doubtful that the funds raised from the fees they are likely to increase will actually go into a fund to maintain the light. It will be additional funding to their county general fund. This will work for a while, but eventually they will have to re-invest in the property and I doubt they will be willing to do so.

Be interesting to know how much tourist money OBC brings in to the county - you know, people buying gasoline or eating a meal or staying at a hotel. Would also be interesting to know if the funds generated from the light stay at the light or are used for other OBC projects. If the funds generated by visitors to the light stay at the light, they are staying in Currituck County even if OBC is not headquartered there.

Dave

Re: Currituck needs your help !!! #35207 07/16/02 02:27 PM
Randy Kremer Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I received the same response from Mr. Owens. I love the line, "here today and gone tomorrow." Isn't that a crock! What is The Whalehead clubhouse property? Does this mean it will be on private property and no one will be able to visit this great lighthouse?
I hope I wrong, but this doesn't look good!
[This message has been edited by Randy Kremer (edited 07-16-2002).]

Re: Currituck needs your help !!! #35208 07/16/02 03:32 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Once again, locals believe only THEY can manage something local. Currituck was built by the people of the United States for the people of the US and the mariners of the world.

Re: Currituck needs your help !!! #35209 07/16/02 06:32 PM
N
Nana Offline
N
Oh well, after my long comments to the county, my photo may be in the Post Office.
Derith

Re: Currituck needs your help !!! #35210 07/16/02 06:50 PM
anniemac Offline
Got the same letter, and sent Mr Owens a "nice" reply that before the Outer Banks Conservationists group, "his" county didn't do much and the lighthouse was in pretty despicable shape. Doesn't seem to care - wonder how much of a kickback he's getting! Doesn't hurt to try, but I wonder if ANYONE connected to the "esteemed" Mr Owens even reads the information he's sent or if it's totally automated.

Re: Currituck needs your help !!! #35211 07/16/02 10:08 PM
Larry Offline
Here's my reply to Mr. Bill Owens (or Linda A. Johnson, she was the return email address), witha carbon copy to OBC:

"Dear Mr. Owens (or is it Ms. Johnson, I'm confused),

Where exactly was the Currituck County government when the lighthouse needed saving 22 years ago? They sure weren't saving the lighthouse. It took a group of people that "do not reside in Currituck County" to save a landmark in Currituck County, that Currituck County sure didn't seem to care about. Now that the lighthouse is restored and drawing huge daily crowds, perhaps Currituck County sees a revenue potential.

The "non-profit group who could be here today and gone tomorrow" has "been there" for 22 years. Do you really believe that a group of dedicated conservationists that has spent the last 22 years of their hard work and dollars saving a national treasure in Currituck County, that Currituck County wouldn't save themselves, is just going to pack up and leave? I don't either.

Sir, I don't live in Currituck County, and I don't even live in North Carolina, I simply have a facination with lighthouses and their history. Taking the Currituck Beach Lighthouse away from the OBC is tantamount to theft.

I certainly don't expect you to change your mind. I just wanted to point out how wrong you are."

[This message has been edited by Larry (edited 07-16-2002).]

Re: Currituck needs your help !!! #35212 07/17/02 12:11 AM
Chesapeake Bryan Offline
Randy,

Here is a link to the whalehead club. http://www.whaleheadclub.com/

The Whalehead Club is right next to the lighthouse property. The county wants to combine the two properties together. This way they can charge more more for admission and make more money. Any way you look at it, it is a big money grab for the county

Re: Currituck needs your help !!! #35213 07/17/02 12:12 AM
pierhead Offline
I got the same form letter as the rest of you, and am very proud to say that I also sent a "nice" letter to Mr. Owens/ Linda Johnson. It's absolutely amazing at how much ignorance there is in this world. What else should I expect coming from a politician/political aide, though? "Here today, gone tomorrow".... Go get your fundraiser Mr. Owens, the people of Currituck County certainly have earned it, haven't they?

Jared

Re: Currituck needs your help !!! #35214 07/17/02 01:02 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
I asked Cheryl Roberts, co-founder and president of the Outer Banks Lighthouse Society to provide a response. This is the text of her letter to Mr. Owens:

Quote:
Mr. Owens,

“Here today and gone tomorrow?”

Representatives and priorities change frequently within local governments. Director of the Outer Banks Conservationists John Wilson’s grandparents were born and lived at the Currituck Beach Lighthouse (CBLH).

Thus, he and his family have been serving the CBLH in various capacities for many, many years. How many county commissioners, representatives of Currituck County, have been there for that amount of time serving the lighthouse?

The board of directors of the Outer Banks Lighthouse Society finds the reasoning for transfer to the local government – “because the Currituck Beach Lighthouse would be a ‘valuable addition to the Currituck County Whalehead Clubhouse property’” irrelevant.

Moreover, the issue that the Outer Banks Conservationists (OBC) directors don't reside in Currituck County, though they have at least one full-time staff member "keeper" who does, has never seemed to disturb anyone in Currituck County while hundreds of thousands of dollars were raised for the care of this magnificent lighthouse one and two decades ago.

OBC's presence prevented vandalism of this once-remote historical building and the meticulous care that OBC has given this structure shines in its fine appearance. If the local government takes over, we fear that no one will recognize the place in ten years.

The historical meaning of the CBLH in embodied in the structure itself, not as part of an adjacent property or festival park.

You do not mention the "value" of the lighthouse, which the lighthouse community measures in historical context, not dollars; additionally, you express concern where a successful steward lives instead of expressing appreciation (much more than they "have done a great job"--this is MUCH more than a job) to OBC for the years of struggle and emotional expense to make the light station the tremendous draw for Currituck County that it is today.

Few people outside the lighthouse community have any idea what stewardship of a tall coastal lighthouse that is opened for climbing to the public demands -- physically, emotionally, mentally, and monetarily. Anyone not understanding the previous sentence and all the nuances involved has no business making any decisions to disturb the current and highly successful job that OBC is doing or to prevent OBC from taking permanent stewardship of the CBLH for which they passionately care.

Fortunately OBC has the Lighthouse Preservation Act of 2000, legislation supported by NC Congressman Walter Jones, to support its deserving stewardship.

Sincerely,
Cheryl Roberts
Cofounder and President
Outer Banks Lighthouse Society

Cheryl also added...

"Thanks to all those good people who have expressed support for the Outer Banks Conservationists, present stewards of the restored Currituck Beach Lighthouse and compound."

Re: Currituck needs your help !!! #35215 07/17/02 11:58 AM
eastpoint Offline
John

Thanks for contacting Cheryl and getting her to provide a copy of her letter to Mr. Owens.
When I got that reply I could not believe someone would even make those statements. Mr Owens probably lives in the part of Currituck county that makes up the mainland portion.

I also have seen local gov't here in New Jersey start projects and as soon as there is a budget problem there is no longer any money for the project and then they are looking for people in the private sector to take over. In this case the private sector got to go first and they have done a wonderful job. The Whalehead club had been there for years and it was also in bad shape and I guess no one else wanted it so the county finally stepped in but will their interest continue if they don't attract an audience like the lighthouse does.

Good Luck OBC, I hope that you continue the fine work you have done to date.

Hank

Moderated by  PFC 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,299 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users