Want to Buy a Real Lighthouse? #34789 11/11/98 12:10 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Anyone want to buy a real lighthouse?

I can't believe I am posing that question to this group, as if the answer would not be a resounding "yes" from most of us.

Stony Point Lighthouse, which is part of the Seaway Trail following Lake Ontario's shoreline, is on the market. She is on the banks of Lake Ontario, near Henderson, New York and north of Oswego and she sits on 2.25 acres with 600' of private shoreline.

She looks like our dream come true. Unfortunately, she is out of our price range at $650,000, but we thought we'd pass it on in case someone else would be interested. We should keep her in the family. Mark Leonard is the owner and can be reached at leonard@gisco.net. He has all kinds of pictures and information he will gladly send out.

In an email conversation with Mark, I asked him if I was safe in assuming that he is really into lighthouses. His response was quite interesting. "Although we certainly appreciate our location, we are not as "into" lighthouses as we are finding others to be. We entertain many visitors to our home for photographs or just a climb in the tower and many have driven from ACROSS the country in search of lighthouses." You don't think he's talking about us, do you?

If someone out there does buy her, we'd love to hear from you. Maybe someday, we will find our's.

Re: Want to Buy a Real Lighthouse? #34790 11/11/98 06:10 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
O K--Let's buy it or get Bill Younger to buy it for us. It would make a great clubhouse for Harbour Lights collectors to hang out at and down the road it could be a retirement home for collectors and their collections.

Re: Want to Buy a Real Lighthouse? #34791 11/11/98 09:50 PM
LamarB Offline
Originally posted by Lamar - edited by John Chidester

If you want to see Stoney Point and read more about it try

(The owner requested the URL be removed.)

------------------
Lamar

[This message has been edited by JChidester (edited 11-12-98).]

[This message has been edited by JChidester (edited 11-12-98).]

Re: Want to Buy a Real Lighthouse? #34792 07/30/99 02:05 AM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Anybody know the status of this lighthouse? It's on my list to see this coming Monday.

Re: Want to Buy a Real Lighthouse? #34793 07/30/99 08:57 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Mombo,

We have lost track of Mark Leonard (who was the owner of the lighthouse) and what has happened. Now you have aroused our curiosity, so we have sent him an email at leonard@gisco.net. We asked if he minds if you contact him for a peak at his lighthouse if he still owns it.

He is a very nice fellow and I am sure would not mind if you send him an inquiry. When we get a reply, we will post it.

When are you leaving? Are you reachable via email if he doesn't get back to us before you leave?

[This message has been edited by Michael and Karen Power (edited 07-30-99).]

Re: Want to Buy a Real Lighthouse? #34794 07/30/99 11:57 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Thanks, Michael and Karen. I was just planning to take a picture from the road. Did a search and found this old thread so thought I'd ask my question. It sounded to me that he wasn't keen on visitors. If you do hear back, I'm leaving Sunday and will be near his place probably Monday pm. I also put a call in to Theresa Mitchell at the Seaway Trail office but she hasn't called back. The booklet they put out also states that the Ogdensburg light "is open upon request at the owner's convenience" but I don't know who they are.

January and February sound pretty good right now. Supposed to be 98 here tomorrow, whew!

[This message has been edited by mombo (edited 07-30-99).]

Re: Want to Buy a Real Lighthouse? #34795 07/31/99 01:10 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Mombo and Sean

We heard back from Mark this morning. He says they have had some interest but the lighthouse is still on the market. Sean, if we can come up with about 50 folks to share our 1/5th portion, we'd go in with you in a heartbeat. And we'll take the first week in March! Sounds good to us. Our thermometer is reading in the high 80's, but the humidity is the closest thing you can get before the humidity actually starts falling out of the sky.

Back to the taking a picture of the lighthouse. Well, Mark said he'd be glad to give you a peak at the lighthouse. We have never met Mark; only correspondended over the net. If you meet him, please say hello for us. He said he has his home listed with a new realtor and if you would like to take a full tour, to contact her. He doesn't want to get in trouble with his realtor by giving a full tour. We only asked for a peak and he responded with the comment about contacting his realtor for a tour. Here is her information: jsgerni@coldwellbanker.com. Her phone number is 315-782-4476 and her name is Joan Gerni.

I think if you told her that you just would like to see it and you are part of a large group of lighthouse enthusiasts, if I were her, you'd get the royal tour and lunch.

We aren't trying to push you into a tour at all. We just know if it were us, we'd do it.

If you go, please let us know about it.

[This message has been edited by Michael and Karen Power (edited 07-31-99).]

Re: Want to Buy a Real Lighthouse? #34796 07/31/99 09:54 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Thanks Michael and Karen!

I have since also sent Mr. Leonard an email to which he responded.

He said I was welcome to stop by and to knock on the door if no one's outside and if they're there they'd be glad to let me climb the tower.

He said they get so many "visitors" that they wouldn't know who I was unless I identified myself.

Maybe they don't mind so much as long as they're trying to sell it. You never know who's got $650,000 in their pocket, although I let him know it wasn't me!

Thanks again

Sue

Re: Want to Buy a Real Lighthouse? #34797 07/31/99 10:26 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Here is an excerpt from a message we just received from Mark.

"BY the way, we have lowered the price since we last spoke and are now hovering around $500,000, rather than the $650,000 figure that we started out as. We are anxious to sell as we have found another place we all want to be. It would make a great joint venture as there are two year round houses on the property!"

Are we getting closer Sean!

Sue, we hope he's home when you get there. It sounds like it could be great fun.

Re: Want to Buy a Real Lighthouse? #34798 08/03/99 12:07 AM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Unfortunately, no one was home when we arrived this afternoon. A hugh dog greeted us who was actually quite friendly. The other house on the property is no great shakes, sort of a run down ranch. It's a neat location, very private. Hope my pictures turn out well. The tower could use a new paint job. My ladders sure wouldn't reach that high!

Mombo

Re: Want to Buy a Real Lighthouse? #34799 08/03/99 01:35 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Sue,

Are you going to post your pictures? We would sure love to see what it is we have been talking about! We have only seen one photo of Stoney Point in a book and it wasn't the greatest picture.

So sorry Mark and/or his family were not at home. Hope your adventure is going well.

Sean - Never hurts to ask. We use to live about 60 miles north of you and it's too far north for us also, which includes the double meaning.

Re: Want to Buy a Real Lighthouse? #34800 08/03/99 07:45 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Yes, will post pictures when I get them developed. Will put report in The Map Room.

Sean, the in-laws live in the little house. Reason they want to leave: In-laws approaching 80 and they don't want to be in such a remote location anymore. And the younger Leonard's want to move up NORTH! Guess North has a different meaning to us New York Staters!

Mombo

Moderated by  PFC 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,477 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users