cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Lake Ontario Lights #34757 06/29/00 12:59 AM
DocJ44 Offline OP
OP Offline
I will be spending 2 months in the Rochester NY area from mid-August to mid-October. I have my lighthouse guides out and know there are quite a few to see. I will attempt to see all that I can but I was wondering if anyone familiar with the area can give me any special tips about visiting them. Any input would be appreciated.

Doc John

Doc John
Re: Lake Ontario Lights #34758 06/29/00 02:14 AM
MrsTLC Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Doc John, Last summer we were in the Rochester area and were able to visit 3 of the lighthouses. One is Charlotte-Genesee which is behind the Sacred Heart Cathedral in the town of Greece off of Lake Rd. Another is on Edgemere Dr.called Braddock Point. (it is currently a private residence and it can't be seen very well from the road)Maybe you could get a better view of this one from a boat on Lake Ontario. A really beautiful one to go to is Sodus Point Lighthouse and Sodus Outer which is north of Rochester. This is well worth the trip. It has beautiful grounds which would be nice to pack a lunch and spend the day there. Hope you have a good time.

Ruthie

[This message has been edited by MrsTLC (edited 06-29-2000).]

Ruthie
"Where words fail, Music speaks"
Re: Lake Ontario Lights #34759 06/29/00 11:46 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Two months, you got two months, Doc? Shucks you should be able to see most of them and some on Lake Erie. Do you have "A Traveler's Guide to 100 Eastern Great Lakes Lighthouses" by Penrose? If not, you should get it.

Here's a great site for the Buffalo lights: http://bhw.buffnet.net/light/bl-flash.htm

Email me if you have questions on a particular light and I'll try to help you if I can. Also, let me know when you plan a trip to my area, I'm a tad south of Oswego.

Sue

Re: Lake Ontario Lights #34760 07/07/00 12:53 PM
navyelt Offline
Hey Doc,
West of Rochester on route 18 in the town of Somerset you will see signs for lighthouse and Golden Hill State Park which contains 30 mile point lighthouse. It is open Fri-Sun 2-4 pm which you can climb the tower for a good view of Lake Ontario. Between there and Rochester on the Parkway near the town of Hilton, you will see a sign for Lighthouse Drive. Down that road and take a right on the last street you will see Braddock Point, which is a private residence, but you can take a picture from the road.
In Rochester, on Lake Avenue near the beach you will find Charlotte-Genessee Lighthouse. It is open Sat and Sun 1-5pm. They have a museum and you can climb the tower also. Going east from Rochester on route 104 head to Sodus Point. Take left at light when you see sign for Sodus Point. When you get to town, you will see sign for Sodus Point Lighthouse. They also have a museum and you can climb tower. If you have any other questions, let me know! Enjoy!

Den

Re: Lake Ontario Lights #34761 07/08/00 01:03 AM
Beaconfollower Offline
Yes I agree, Sodus Point is a big must. There are quite a few to see. Just follow the Seaway Trail. Leads to them all. My second favorite was Tibbetts Point. But
that is way up on Cape Vincent. Not sure
how far you plan to hunt.

Sheryl

Sheryl
Baroness of Beacons
Re: Lake Ontario Lights #34762 07/08/00 11:30 AM
DocJ44 Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for all the suggestions! While I am up there to teach at the medical school, I will have a significant amount of free time in the afternoons and on weekends to explore. I have never been in this part of the country before so I have alot of new things to experience. I just got the book "Seaway Trail Lighthouses" by James Tinney and Mary Burdette-Watkins which seems to be a pretty thorough guide to the lighthoues in New York along Lakes Erie and Ontario. I need to research some of the Canadian lighthouses a little more.

Doc John

Doc John
Re: Lake Ontario Lights #34763 07/15/00 02:54 AM
N
NiagaraLady Offline
N
From 30-Mile Point continue west to Ft.
Niagara (Youngstown, NY), approx. 45-50 min.
drive; south to Buffalo Light and a jaunt
into Canada for a long-distance view of
Pt. Abino.

From Rochester heading west on the NYS
Thruway (90) to Dunkirk and Barcelona and
Presque Island in Pennsylvania.

Re: Lake Ontario Lights #34764 07/16/00 02:36 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
This morning's newspaper had an article about Sodus Point but I haven't been able to locate it on-line just yet. I did, however, locate the following article from a couple years back. Most of the information I believe is still correct.
http://www.syracuse.com/discover/index.ssf?/discover/sundaydriver/19980816_lighthouse.html

Moderated by  PFC 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
3 registered members (DANIEL, Rock, Dave H), 1,590 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users