cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
The Lighthouse Who Said "I am not paper." #34685 04/02/99 03:10 AM
Jake Offline OP
OP Offline
There is a secret that many of our favorite books are hiding. They mask a problem that is all too real: GRAFITTI. Now, I know there are many lighthouses that have this problem, but I was a saddened witness to one example yesterday.
Yesterday, my dad and I went to the two lights in Michigan City. As we walked out to the pierhead light, I was snapping pictures all the way, of a clean, beaming white wall. But as we climbed the steps and went around to the front of the light, hearts with couples names in them (half of whom I'm willing to bet broke up long ago), drawings, signatures, and not to mention the ever-present profanity. Some of these, in fact, were delightfully (I say that in sarcasm) highlighted in a bright neon green spray paint. It was very sad to see such a proud sentinel defaced in such a way.
Now, I have seen this on many other lights, but these show up better than any other grafitti I have ever seen on a light before. Also, how does it look to boaters coming in? All this grafitti was facing Lake Michigan, for all who passes to see.
So, for all who are sick and tired of seeing th proud sentinel of our nation falling into the hands of people with no respect for things of beauty, here's your chance! Share your stories, opinions, and info here. Who knows, we may be able to make a profound difference!

Stephen (Who is proposing the formation of the Collectors Against Lighthouse Grafitti Society, or CALGS.)

Together, we can do it.

Jakers
Re: The Lighthouse Who Said "I am not paper." #34686 04/02/99 08:40 AM
R
Robert M Dick Offline
R
Jake,

Sounds like big city activity. Ti coin a phrase:

Fool's names are like their faces
Always seen in public places

Have not seen this type of defacing here, but most of our lights are far away or in custodial care.

Moby

Moby

Moderated by  PFC 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,980
Posts184,642
Members2,583
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,815 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
coloradolights, PortageRivrLight, DenizensofDeep, Rtubbs, SafeHarbor
2583 Registered Users