Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Jones Point River Lighthouse - report #34644 07/16/06 07:55 PM
ericlighthouse Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Late last year, I got a hold of one the the members of the Mount Vernon Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution, Barbara, to see what was going on. She in turn gave me the name of the Chair of the Jones Point Lighthouse committee, Betty. While they had plans for future restoration, the building of the Woodrow Wilson Bridge would prevent any real progress. In the mean time I ask if they had a separate account for fund raising for the lighthouse and they did. They also had T-shirts and note cards for sale. So I sent for both and gave a small donation in addition and told them I would send a check every other month (the other month goes to another lighthouse). Each time I got a nice DAR (Daughters of the American Revolution) note card, thanking me with a note or two. They were please someone was interested in their lighthouse. So when the Tidewater Trip came up, I wrote them and told them I would like to meet the 2 and others if they were available (DAR does not meet in Summer). I had wanted to see the inside of the lighthouse but as luck would have it the park was closed off at that time (now opened again), however, Susan and I were invited to Betty's house to see documents and pictures of the lighthouse. As we looked at the documents Betty and Barbara told me how they were restricted on raising funds (National wants them to have dinners and tea's). Meanwhile we did get to see the 4th order fensnel lens that is in private keeping at this time, until the lighthouse can get better security. The lighthouse is gutted on the inside and vandals over the years have lit several fires, causing small damage. The floors inside have holes in them and the 2 chimmeys had fallen down some time ago. Many of you may already know the group restored the lighthouse in the 1920's and held meetings there until the Federal Government took over the property in 1936 and let it fall into disrepair. The group got the lighthouse back in 1953 in bad shape and vandals in the years after torn it down more. In the meanwhile the DAR tried to get the government to pay for the damage but failed. By the mid 1960's they agreed to deed the property to the Park Service but they would still raise the money and be in charge of any restoration projects. The roof and the outside were fixed up, but without the chimmneys, ventilation and lightning rod.

In front of the lighthouse is the original southeast corner stone of Washington D.C. which needs better protection from the elements.

They two nice ladies and their husbands took us to dinner at the country club on the Potomac River and we enjoyed a great meal and the breeze from the river.

The next day Susan and I saw the lighthouse from a river cruise we went on (we had seen the outside last year).

I am working on a web page with more info and pictures and updates.

Eric, Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation; Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse; member and District Commissioner of Florida Lighthouse Association et el
Re: Jones Point River Lighthouse - report #34645 07/16/06 08:44 PM
beachcomber Offline
Thanks for all the information, Eric. Such a shame that the government took the property and allowed it to succumb to such a state. You are doing a terrific job bringing the Jones Point Light to the attention of others. Please keep us posted.

beachcomber
Re: Jones Point River Lighthouse - report #34646 07/16/06 09:29 PM
MelJB Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Eric, would you provide mailing address, check made payable to, etc. on how we can make a donation?

Melody
Re: Jones Point River Lighthouse - report #34647 07/16/06 10:01 PM
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
SURE, Melody. Once I get a go ahead, I will have the info on the T-shirts and note cards on the website, but If you want to send a donation now please send to:

Mount Vernon Chapter, NSDAR
606 Princess St.
Alexandria, VA. 22314

Be sure to put on the MEMO line Jones Point Lighthouse. Make check to Mt. Vernon Chapter, NSDAR

Tell them the GODFATHER sent you, they will know what you mean.

Thanks in advance for the donation. smile

Eric, Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation; Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse; member and District Commissioner of Florida Lighthouse Association et el
Re: Jones Point River Lighthouse - report #34648 08/01/06 04:34 PM
Beaconfollower Offline
Eric, thanks for the information. Jones Point is one of the few lighthouses I haven't seen since moving to Manassas 3 years ago. Will be intested in getting a t-shirt and some notecards when available.

Sheryl
Baroness of Beacons
Re: Jones Point River Lighthouse - report #34649 08/02/06 11:48 AM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Interesting Eric! I look forward to seeing your pictures.
Bob

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Jones Point River Lighthouse - report #34650 08/03/06 01:05 AM
W
WisKeeper Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
W
Interesting to hear about your visit. I visited Jones Point Light after the Baltimore Reunion.

Suzanne Murphy
President, Wisconsin Lighthouse District (WILD)
Re: Jones Point River Lighthouse - report #34651 08/03/06 12:06 PM
MelJB Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Eric, sent my donation along with a 'Matching Gift' form from the office (while I'm still employed and eligible) and received a very nice note back from the ladies along with a t-shirt and some of the note cards. I really would like to be able to purchase an additional t-shirt and note cards. Please let me know (I'm sure you will wink ) when the website is available to make purchases. Do you think they will do a pin? Thanks for posting about this light. smile

Melody
Re: Jones Point River Lighthouse - report #34652 08/03/06 03:35 PM
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Melody, that's great your office matched the gift. laugh
The website is ready to go, just waiting to see if we can list the t-shirts and note cards (the Regents have to approve, from higher up in the organization). I too would like a pin, but that may come later. I am working on several projects right now.

Re: Jones Point River Lighthouse - report #34653 09/23/06 12:38 AM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
I have been to the Jones River Light.
I thought it was an interesting Light.
I liked it so much that I was trying to promote it for our exclusive forum lighthouse L.E.
But, when I was hit with that it look like someone’s uncle’s chicken shed I knew to back off.
Jones Point River Light
I am glad to hear that there is hope of it being restored. I think what hurts this light is that it is not one of the traditional lighthouses. When I was there trying to find directions to it, I asked several people where it was located. I couldn’t find anyone that knew that it existed. One lady I asked was standing in the very park and didn’t know it was a light. I happened to look across the ball field and recognize it.

It would be nice if HL would make this one. Maybe it would start to be known. This one sounds like a good candidate for the “Save our Lighthouse” series.

Save Our Lighthouse

DANIEL
Re: Jones Point River Lighthouse - report #34654 09/23/06 07:49 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Jones Point Light appears to be very simple and plain. It almost looks like someone took a lantern room and just put it on top of a nearby house. I can see why people may have walked by without recognizing it as a lighthouse.

:rolleyes: Bob :rolleyes:

Re: Jones Point River Lighthouse - report #34655 09/23/06 10:17 AM
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Yes Bob, it looks very plain. One day I hope to see it with the lightening rod/ventilation device and the 2 chimneys.

I also strongly believe that since there are so few river lighthouses left, it is very important to save them. Of course "in a perfect world" no other lighthouses would be destroyed.

Moderated by  PFC 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 651 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users