More News on Hatteras from OBLS #34570 06/24/99 03:06 AM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
From Cheryl Roberts for the Outer Banks Lighthouse Society:

Quote:
Hello, everyone,

Movers have put the relocation on the "fast track" in order to move the lighthouse out of harm's way. Engineers agree that the lighthouse needs to be moved 850 feet away from the ocean's edge, the critical distance affording the National Historic Landmark a buffer from strong storm winds. To date, the lighthouse has moved a total 317 feet, and by the end of today, Wednesday, another 150 feet will have been gained.

Joe Jakubik, Project Manager with International Chimney Corporation (ICC) in Buffalo, NY, says the greatest time-saving devices for the movers are the hydraulic clamps for the push jacks. Instead of the time-consuming task of unbolting and rebolting the push jacks onto the roll beams after each five-foot push, the hydraulic clamps lock and unlock almost instantaneously.

Major players in the move, Expert House Movers, are working tirelessly to keep the steel mat leapfrogged in front of the moving lighthouse so the roll beams can then be moved from back to front, and the move kept as continuous as possible.

In the aerial view "Ocean's Edge" by Bruce Roberts, you can see how close the ocean is to the original foundation site. Note the half circle just inside the excavation...this is the original site, partially covered by the steel beam mat. An earthmover is pulling one of the steel beams in front of the lighthouse along the move corridor, recharging (leapfrogging) the move system.

Another look at the move in progress is in Bruce Robert's "Move System." The seven roll beams are evident. The seven main beams and built-in hydraulic jacks ride atop the roll beams on encased rollers, moved along by push jacks. The lighthouse moves silently one-to two inches per minute.

Thousands of visitors have gathered everyday to watch the momentous event. To be in the crowd and feel the excitement is a unique experience.

Move contractor, ICC, has emergency plans for dune repair should a sudden storm develop and damage the protective dune line.

Thanks to J.B. Ruffin & Associates for providing the list server capability to the Outer Banks Lighthouse Society so these updates can be brought to you at no charge.

Other interesting sites concerning the move:
www.outer-banks.com/lighthouse-society (be sure to look at the entire web project also)
http://ecnews.outer-banks.com
www.nps.gov/caha
(livecam there also, two views)
www.widomaker.com/~litehous/movie.html

The next issue of the Lighthouse News is at the printer and will be reaching members soon. Details of the Annual Keepers Dinner Sept. 11 at the Ramada Inn in Kill Devil Hills are included. Keynote speaker, Joe Jakubik, International Chimney Corp. Project Manager for the Cape Hatteras Relocation, will give a presentation of images and narration on "How We Moved the Lighthouse." Members have first chance at the limited 220 tickets available. After July 10 the details will be posted on the society's site www.outer-banks.com/lighthouse-society for nonmembers to have an opportunity to attend the affair.

For membership information, you may email web3755@charweb.org or do an auto reply to the address in this message.

Comments/suggestions are welcomed.

Outer Banks Lighthouse Society

[This message has been edited by JChidester (edited 06-24-99).]

Re: More News on Hatteras from OBLS #34571 06/24/99 09:52 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Morning John,
Thanks so much for the information you are sending out to the HL collectors. It is great to go online each day and read the progress that has been made to get Hatteras Light out of harm's way. I find it interesting that in this report Cheryl Roberts writes, "thousands of visitors have 'gathered' everyday to watch the momentous event." I am sure the excitement is unique and I can hardly wait to be there in July.
Derith

Re: More News on Hatteras from OBLS #34572 06/24/99 09:56 AM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Great Update!(from mobile John in Chicago)
It's been a little frustrating trying to get a feel for what's been going on from the 'live cams 1 & 2'.
These pictures and narrative capture the moment.
Thanks

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: More News on Hatteras from OBLS #34573 06/28/99 02:06 AM
A
Al and Kathy Offline
A
Great info! These pictures give you a better feel on what's happening.

Kathy

Re: More News on Hatteras from OBLS #34574 06/28/99 02:25 AM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
While demonstrating the web site, I kept my eye on the live-cams from Cape Hatteras. Several showed big lines of people along the fence.

To someone watching over my shoulder, I said "Wow, look at the long line of people". Without missing a beat he replied "It takes a lot of people to pull the lighthouse."

Re: More News on Hatteras from OBLS #34575 07/01/99 06:48 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Here's the update from the National Park Service site:

Quote:

LATEST LIGHTHOUSE PROJECT UPDATE

Wednesday, June 30, 1999:

A good day today. ICC moved the lighthouse 204 feet. The total is now 1768 feet. It looks like the plan is to have the lighthouse within about 50 feet of the foundation by July 5th. Progress will slow at that point as preparations are made to "step down" the lighthouse as it approaches the foundation, similar to the "stepping up" that occurred at the beginning of the move. The window for "set down" is July 10 - July 15 right now.

For those who planned to visit during the move, looks like the schedule is tightening up. Sure wish I was close enough to see it moving!

Re: More News on Hatteras from OBLS #34576 07/01/99 07:03 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
For those who will be in the Cape Hatteras area soon, don't forget to send photos to me for the web site. If you can scan them, do so at 72 or 100 dpi with the longest dimension about 4". If you don't have a scanner, email me for the shipping address.

Also while in the Cape Hatteras area you might want to make a reservation for Memorial Day weekend 2000. There will be a lot of collectors there that weekend and rooms will probably go quickly.

I guess you can expect a price increase during this period as the hoteliers maximize income from the interest in the lighthouse.

Some hotels/motels/condos may not take reservations until Jan 1, 2000. If that's the case, you'll have to mark down when reservations will be accepted and call as soon after as allowed.

If in the end, you can't make it. I'm sure there will be other collectors looking for a room who would be thrilled to take over your reservation.

There were hints at Rosemont that there will be some sort of 'Harbour Lights Event' in conjunction with the relighting. Details aren't available.

John

Re: More News on Hatteras from OBLS #34577 07/01/99 11:52 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Sir John,

I know the details aren't available but do you think the HL gathering will be in Buxton?
My reservations are made. I am counting the days.

I won't get to Hatteras until the 22nd or 23rd of this month. Seems the moving may be all but stopped.
Derith

Re: More News on Hatteras from OBLS #34578 07/02/99 01:44 AM
DocJ44 Offline
What great views! The aerial perspective lets you see exactly where the lighthouse has been and where it is going!
John

Doc John
Re: More News on Hatteras from OBLS #34579 07/02/99 01:58 PM
FrankB Offline
Does any one know specifically on which day of Memorial Day weekend 2000 the relighting ceremony will be held?

FrankB
Re: More News on Hatteras from OBLS #34580 07/02/99 02:40 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Another update from Cheryl Roberts, OBLS

Quote:
Hello, everyone,

The Cape Hatteras Lighthouse moved 354 feet on Thursday, July 1, 1999. To date, a total 2,123 feet have been accomplished.

Movers are pleased with the progress of the reloction. The lighthouse has been a comfortable passenger while enroute to the relocation site 2,900 feet to southwest, placing the tower 1,600 feet from the ocean. This is approximately the same distance the lighthouse was from high tide when it was built by the U.S. Lighthouse Service with Dexter Stetson as foreman of construction beginning in 1868.

The National Historic Landmark is predicted to reach the new site sometime during the week of July 4! This will go down in history as a large effort by man to save historic buildings that have served humanity; relocation enables this lighthouse to continue to be a source of education and joy for future millions of visitors. An excellent article on this subject is in the Raleigh News & Observer, Tuesday, June 29, by Susanna Rodell on page 11-A.

In the first image, "roll beam and soap" you can see evidence of Ivory soap, an excellent mover's lubricant, on the hardened steel top of the roll beam track. Seven roll beams enable the lighthouse to glide towards the relocation site.

A photographer is taking a picture of one jack (there are 100 jacks in all) that comes out of the massive main beam and the encased Hilman rollers that sit atop the roll beam. He is standing under the lighthouse to get this image.

In the second image, "push jacks and hydraulic clamps" a clear view of the long-armed, hydraulic push jacks is shown. The hoses suspended in the top of the image serve to power the hydraulic clamps that hold the push jacks securely on the roll beams. The hydraulic clamps have greatly reduced the time movers have had to spend readjusting and reactivating the push jacks.

Both images courtesy Bruce Roberts.

[This message has been edited by JChidester (edited 07-02-99).]

Re: More News on Hatteras from OBLS #34581 07/03/99 10:03 PM
FrankB Offline
The June 29 editorial by Susanna Rodell is certainly excellent. Here is an excerpt (from the NPS web site):
"What I was watching was a mammoth act of human will, a huge, unusual effort being made to save something solely because of its place in our emotions, in our collective history. It was, and is, an enormous act of love. All these humans, from the guys in hard hats driving the forklifts to the members of all the historical societies to the engineers to the Park Service folks, working their hearts out.

Watching the operation, you can't help thinking of the pyramids. It does the heart good to know that here in the late 20th century people are still willing to put all this collective wisdom and energy -- not to mention millions of bucks -- to work to save something that's really just a symbol, not religious, not political, just something tall and grand and old that has stood there all those years delivering the purest gift imaginable: light."
(c) 1999 Raleigh News and Observer

FrankB
Re: More News on Hatteras from OBLS #34582 07/05/99 12:39 AM
Kat Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Great Pics of the Hatteras move !! Can't wait to be there for the relighting on Memorial Day weekend 2000. Hey Derrith, where are you staying...I'm getting ready to make my reservations? John C., do you have your reservations yet, where will you be staying?? Larry and I thought we would stay in Buxton.

Kat

KAT {=*+*=}
Re: More News on Hatteras from OBLS #34583 07/07/99 12:22 AM
M
mainenut Offline
M
This is my first message since the web site and collector's forum was changed oh so long ago. Two adults in school on alternate nights raising an 11 year old extremely active boy. Whew!! Please forgive any faux pas or breaches of protocol Don't worry...still manage to find time to purchase Harbour Lights.

When Hatteras first began it's move, I thought I saw that relighting was to occur on Labor Day '99. Now I see (from several sources) that it is set for Memorial Day 2000. Is there anything even remotely set in stone? I want to make some plans to attend but don't want to be stuck with reservations at the wrong time.

Thanks heaps,
Kim

Re: More News on Hatteras from OBLS #34584 07/08/99 12:16 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The pictures are really good. I will have to add them to my collection of JPG files used for my screensaver (lighthouses take second place to my grandson who is much cuter than a lighthouse).

I have a friend that has a cottage on Ocracoke Island about two blocks from that lighthouse. There are a number of hotels on Ocracoke Island that would be reasonable to look into. It is a relatively short ferry ride to Hatteras Island and a shorter car ride than from Nags Head, Kitty Hawk or Kill Devel Hills. Getting to Ocracoke is a real pain though as it is either a long drive and a short ferry ride or a long (2+ hours) ferry ride. Buxton does not have that many places to stay but if you can get a room there it is probably preferable. A very helpful resource is the Coastal Guide. Even when there isn't a special event on the coast, the better beach homes fill up by early April. These usually rent for the week though.

[This message has been edited by RaleighRon (edited 07-07-99).]

Moderated by  PFC 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Rock, Dave H), 1,582 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users