Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Another Lighthouse Caught in a Tug-of-War #34552 11/02/02 12:32 AM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
http://www.newsday.com/news/printedition/longisland/ny-lilite302984169oct30,0,4389899.story?coll=ny-linews-print

Re: Another Lighthouse Caught in a Tug-of-War #34553 11/02/02 01:07 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Sounds like old Merle pulled a pretty sleazy fast one here. The LI Chapter has been working dilligently on this project from the time they were formed, and have made great headway with the USDA. Thought everything was on track for them. Can't believe someone would form a new group with the sole intention of trying to screw the people who had already invested considerable efforts.

Dave

Re: Another Lighthouse Caught in a Tug-of-War #34554 11/02/02 09:13 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Very interesting...kind of like the Survivor program..outwit, outplay, and outlast.

The ultimate goal is to restore the lights. Why can't both groups work together? The old adage, "Many hands make light work".

confused Bob confused

Re: Another Lighthouse Caught in a Tug-of-War #34555 11/02/02 12:34 PM
MtnHkr Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Wouldn't it be better for all hands to work together to achieve a common goal, "SAVE LIGHTHOUSES". It's very hard to believe that such a thing can happen! So much more could be accomplished if the two groups could only stop bikering and pull together. Every lighthouse mentioned in the article and more would be the winners and so would those who love lighthouses and want to see them preserved.

Bert frown

Bert

No mountain is too tall if your first step is belief. -Anonymous
Re: Another Lighthouse Caught in a Tug-of-War #34556 11/03/02 02:12 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Don't you suppose there is more to this? Like possiby vanity and self-serving. Way different philosophies may be a part, but why would an influential person who helped form an organization(and encouraged it to form) soon thereafter sets up a competing entity? Maybe I am reading more into it, but something has caused some bad blood.

From a personal standpoint, is it that critical to own the light, or is it just as effective to allow a community to own it and let a group manage it by long term agreement?

Yes, many hands make the work load lighter, and it would make sense to collaborate on a project. We all want the lighthouse(s) to benefit from the efforts. But you have one group trying to undercut the other in this case.

Stirring the pot, thinking aloud, but there is more to this than what has surfaced so far.

IMHO,

Dave

Re: Another Lighthouse Caught in a Tug-of-War #34557 11/03/02 02:39 AM
pierhead Offline
Dave, I'm in complete agreement. It doesn't make any sense at all. What you've said pretty much sums up my thoughts. Two groups working for the same good, and can't work together.

Re: Another Lighthouse Caught in a Tug-of-War #34558 11/04/02 11:10 AM
DMancini Offline
Dave (and others):

Yes, there is a lot more to this story than was printed in Newsday. Unfortunately, there were several errors of omission, and incorrect statements made in the article.

The Long Island Chapter has PLENTY of documentation to support our continuing efforts to restore this lighthouse. This is a very complicated issue that cannot really summarized in 500 words. Let me say this...it is NOT a personality conflict. It is matter of one group trying to restore the lighthouse in a historically correct manner, following all proper laws and procedures, and another group that is merely interested in getting the light relit as quickly as possible without regard for the historic aspects that are required.

To correct one error in the article, Merle was not a founding member of the Long Island Chapter. It was founded by Bob Muller, Bob Scroope and Mike Seewald.

This is a "hot button" issue for me, so I will end my comments here, so that I don't say something that I may regret. wink

Diane
Re: Another Lighthouse Caught in a Tug-of-War #34559 11/04/02 01:28 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Diane,

Many of us know well the efforts put forth by the LI Stooges in forming the Chapter, and many of us joined so that they could quickly get the numbers required to be a chapter. We also know well the work you have all done to save and preserve lighthouses on LI thanks to Bob Scroope's ongoing postings sharing the ups and downs of the process. Even though many of us are not close enough to LI to help "hands on", we support the chapter and its efforts in a variety of ways and I am quite sure we will continue to. Hang in there, and be sure to let us know if and how we can help your efforts.

Dave

Re: Another Lighthouse Caught in a Tug-of-War #34560 11/04/02 02:34 PM
DMancini Offline
Dave,

I know you have been a member and supporter of the Long Island Chapter from the very beginning. It means a lot to us that you and so many other folks were willing to support our start-up group in such a positive and helpful manner.

We know that our efforts are the right course of action for the lighthouse. We will not be deterred. We will do everything in our power to make sure the Plum Island Lighthouse is not only restored, but that it is done so in a manner consistent with the proper laws and procedures that have been put in place to ensure that this historical treasure will not be lost or damaged.

We appreciate the support of everyone on the HL board, whether it is attendance at one of our events, the purchase of raffle tickets and merchandise, or membership in the Chapter. We couldn't do what we do without the support of great folks like you. smile laugh

Diane
Re: Another Lighthouse Caught in a Tug-of-War #34561 11/04/02 11:14 PM
Wildbird99 Offline
Hello all,

It's been a while since I have posted and I miss the interaction, but I've kept pretty busy. While I'm happy to be back, it bugs me that a "negative" subject causes the return.

I'm not going to go into many specifics here. If you'd like specifics, you can contact me these ways: 1. e-mail to LILighthouses@aol.com; 2. a phone call to 631-645-5230; or 3. Visit our Patchogue office and sit down with me and chat for a bit. Call or e-mail first to schedule. I can usually make it on an evening or weekend, unless I have some lighthouse work going on. I can also send you a copy of the 39-page packet I have sent to government officials regarding the issue of the Plum Island light, EEL, etc. I could have made the packet much longer, but I think it gets the point across.

If I may take issue with a line from a previous post: "Two groups working for the same good, and can't work together." Two points: 1. The Long Island Chapter of the US Lighthouse Society works to preserve and promote the lighthouse heritage of Long Island for the benefit of the community, and does so according to the laws and guidelines established to protect that heritage. Evidence shows that the "other group" does not have that same goal. 2. The Long Island Chapter can, and does, work with many historic preservation groups, corporations, chambers of commerce, government agencies, schools, former keepers and their families, and many others. I, personally, have worked with Montauk Point, Fire Island, Horton Point, the Long Island Maritime Museum, and many others and will continue to do so. A few recent points showing this: 1. The LI Chapter is working with the East End Seaport Museum and Marine Foundation to assess and make any necessary repairs to the 1897 Plum Island lens, including offering to fund 50% of the cost. We will be using Jim Dunlap, probably the nation's most respected lens repair guy, for the work. 2. The Chapter's USLHS rowboat (ca. 1880-1920), obtained from the LI Maritime Museum, was loaned to the National Lighthouse Museum earlier this year. They are a little while off from being able to publicly display it, so they asked if we would allow it to be displayed at Fort Wadsworth, so the public could benefit from it. We gave it the go-ahead, of course. This rare (perhaps one-of-a-kind) piece of history is available to the public because of the Chapter's ability and willingness to work with other groups for the benefit of the community. 3. Another newspaper article, less hyped because it's not controversial, is at: http://www.newsday.com/mynews/ny-lilight212973137oct21.story. The subject of this story, the visit of a a keeper's grandson to his grandfather's offshore lighthouse, was made possible by the Chapter's relationship with another local lighthouse group. The Chapter also has other efforts in the works, with far-reaching benefits to the public expected. In summary, not only can the LI Chapter work with other groups on Long Island, and around the nation, but it actively seeks out these partnerships and creates tangible outcomes that benefit everyone.

It should be noted that the Chapter offered to work with EEL on a fundraiser earlier this year. We asked that they sign an agreement with two important points: 1. That the funds be used for the stated purpose (the Plum Island lighthouse) in accordance with applicable laws and guidelines, with no more than 15% of the proceeds used for "administrative" costs, and 2. That proof of proper insurance be provided. These two points reflect the minimum standards of the Chapter's own public fundraisers. EEL refused to sign the agreement (The East End Seaport signed a similar agreement and I narrated their May 25 cruise), and then attacked our group with an amazing array of fallacies (this is documented in the packet) in a letter to US Lighthouse Society President Wayne Wheeler.

A couple of positive notes:

The next issue of the Long Island Light Keeper will resurrect the Gardiner's Island lighthouse. The Chapter worked with architect and lighthouse illustrator Paul Bradley to create an image of this long-lost lighthouse, of which no photos are known to exist. The issue will also include the history of the lighthouse, and an article about my recent visit to Gardiner's Island.

March 22, 2003 will be the first annual Suffolk County Lighthouse Day. This official County holiday will take place at Cedar Point County Park in East Hampton, site of the Cedar Island lighthouse. The night before, we are planning to have a Keepers' Dinner, featuring former area keepers and descendants thereof. It should be a fun couple of days. If you'd like to get involved, we can always use more help. Stay tuned for more details.

To the many people in this forum who have supported our work all along: Thank You! I promise you that the Chapter will continue to work hard, openly and honestly, and in accordance with proper rules and guidelines, to preserve and promote the lighthouse heritage of Long Island, and, when possible, elsewhere. I am always available for questions, comments and suggestions.

Bob Muller, President
Long Island Chapter, US Lighthouse Society

Re: Another Lighthouse Caught in a Tug-of-War #34562 11/05/02 01:12 AM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Bob - thanks so much for your comments and clarifications.

I'll say it publically here - I've been getting your regular email newsletter for a couple of years now and always find it's 'must reading'.

Welcome back.

Moderated by  PFC 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,262 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users