cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Fourteen Mile Point Lighthouse Project #34482 03/08/05 08:58 PM
Zachary Offline OP
OP Offline
Since I have become interested in the Fourteen Mile Point Lighthouse, I have taken it upon myself to try and do an accurate floorplan of it, which is of course a hard task, but, not impossible. The thing is, since some group decided to break into the building in the 80s and throw a party, and theuy decided to build a campfire inside the building, all that remains is the brick walls. So, I was wondering if anyone who's visited the ruins could e-mail (or post here) anything they may have noticed, like if there were stair outlines in the brick and where they were or basically anything. Also, if anyone has pictures of the ruins or of the interior of the Big Bay Point and/or Forty Mile Point lighthouses (both are built in a similiar design), please contact me.
I'll post my progress on the page linked below.
http://bolivar.wbbhost4u.com/14MilePoint

Re: Fourteen Mile Point Lighthouse Project #34483 03/09/05 01:45 AM
W
WisKeeper Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
W
We had a small group of people from the Isle Royale/Keweenaw lighthouse boat trip last August take a flight over 14 Mile Point and take photos. Chesapeake Brian posted photos on the forums. Check these forum posts:

http://www.lighthousekeepers.com/cgi-bin/forumscgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=40;t=000513

http://www.lighthousekeepers.com/cgi-bin/forumscgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=40;t=000570

Our club sponsored Apostle Island/North Shore Lighthouse boat trip aboard the Keweenaw Star in August 2005 will be going past 14 Mile Point for a unique photo opportunity.

Last August I talked to Don Hermanson, a co-owner of 14 Mile Point while I was in Houghton and he gave me an information sheet to put into our booklet. Don Hermanson is a producer of Keweenaw Videos. don@keweenawvideo.com

This is the last paragraph:
"The brick shell of the lighthouse remained sound. The steel lantern-room atop the tower was intact with the iron stairs suspending downward inside the burned out tower. The brick oil house is intact but badly damaged. The wooden assistant keepers quarters behind the lightouse is badly damaged by vandals and the boathouse and docks are long gone, destroyed by Lake Superior storms. Access to the former light station is still by boat, as the old two-rut road has long since been captured by Mother Nature. Work on the old 14 Miile Point Light Station continues with summer work parties that continue to stabilize and preserve what remains of the remote stations. Trees and other growth, which had hidden the lighthouse from passing boaters for many years have been removed, making it visible as it once was many years ago. Access to the lighthouse is restricted as to get there by land is a 8 mile hike west from the Misery River or a 7 mile hike from a county road east of Ontonagon. This is rugged country through swampy private land without roads. Best view of the station is from water. Landing on shore is very dangerous on the slippery rocks and is not recommended. Information and access to Fourteen Mile Point Light Station: Keweenaw Video, P.O.Box 665, Houghton, Mi 49931."

Suzanne Murphy
President, Wisconsin Lighthouse District (WILD)

Moderated by  PFC 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,284 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users