Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Florida Lighthouse Association meeting news #34473 07/16/06 06:24 PM
ericlighthouse Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Just got back from the Florida Lighthouse Association meeting. The word of the weekend was LEAD. Transfer of title of St. Marks held up due to lead in ground around tower, ditto for San Blas. Crooked river already has title but has lead to clean up too. The good news is in a year or two they "may" be open to the public. San Blas will be putting a gift shop in the newly restorted keepers house.

Pensacola now has a lighthouse association! They will have lapel pins in the near future (I will let you know when and how much). There is a change in the hours, but need to double check with them. One of our FLA members has for the most part been keeper of this lighthouse, but was not allowed to form a lighthouse group due to insurance reasons. FLA (Florida Lighthouse Association) help her and the other volunteers get over this hurdle.

Cape Florida is doubling the size of the tour groups from 10 to 20. May have additional tours (only 2 a day only 4 days a week before).

Cape Canaveral restoration has been delayed as they did not realize how much lead paint was on the lighthouse, so the re-opening for July will be October or November at this point.

The October meeting of the FLA will be our 10th year birthday, it will be held at Sanabel (and hopefully we will get in the tower this time, as the key broke in the lock last time).

Cape St. George, had a meeting later that day, I will post it under another topic under Lighthouse Duty.

Eric, Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation; Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse; member and District Commissioner of Florida Lighthouse Association et el
Re: Florida Lighthouse Association meeting news #34474 07/16/06 08:57 PM
beachcomber Offline
Wow, Eric! You are all over the place - great job! I hate to do repeat visits because of the limited time I have, but it sounds like I will need to return to Florida. The only time I was there, I saw most of the lights only from the outside. It appears there will be a greater opportunity to go in some of those in the future. Thanks for all the updates! smile

beachcomber
Re: Florida Lighthouse Association meeting news #34475 07/16/06 09:22 PM
ericlighthouse Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
You're welcome, Grace. I will have another post about our guest speakers shortly.

Eric, Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation; Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse; member and District Commissioner of Florida Lighthouse Association et el

Moderated by  PFC 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (fiksegts, Dave H), 1,201 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users