Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Which Nova Scotia Lighthouse was it? #34158 02/16/07 07:31 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
I was hoping someone familiar with the lighthouses of Nova Scotia could help me figure what lighthouse I visited 19 years ago.

Back in 1988, Debbie(Mrs Loon) & I were up in Nova Scotia on a family vacation. We stopped at a lighthouse while traveling along the Nova Scotia coast.

The lighthouse had a large ship anchor to the left of the lighthouse. About a 100 feet away. Can't recall the colors of the lighthouse. This weekend I will be trying to find some pictures.

Anybody remember a lighthouse in Nova Scotia that had a large ship anchor near it?

Stan M
New Jersey Lighthouse Lovers
------------------------------------
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: Which Nova Scotia Lighthouse was it? #34159 02/16/07 10:04 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I've never been to nova Scotia- although I've planned trips to go there more than once.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the colors of the lighthouse you saw were red and white or white and red.

This describes about 95% of the lighthouses in Nova Scotia- probably in the Maritime Provinces as well. laugh

I know- not much help. I couldn't resist, though.

Here's a site for you to start at-

Lighthouses of Nova Scotia

http://www.nslps.com/index.asp

and also

Lighthouse Directory

http://www.unc.edu/~rowlett/lighthouse/

Dennis

Re: Which Nova Scotia Lighthouse was it? #34160 02/17/07 11:49 AM
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Thanks Dennis!!!

I think the lighthouse might be Gibsons Cove. I will have to do a little more research. It has the ship anchor and it's located in the area we traveled between Digby and Yarthsmouth.

Stan M
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: Which Nova Scotia Lighthouse was it? #34161 02/17/07 12:45 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Quote:
Originally posted by Lighthouse Loon:
Thanks Dennis!!!

I think the lighthouse might be Gibsons Cove. I will have to do a little more research. It has the ship anchor and it's located in the area we traveled between Digby and Yarthsmouth.
Did you mean to type Gilbert's Cove instead of Gibsons Cove?

I went back to the site and couldn't find Gibson but did find Gilbert.

We are going to Maine in June for the NELL spring meeting and are hoping to get to nova Scotia to see some of the sights there.

I'll be posting for some assistanc ewith places to stay, etc in a bit. I have to finish my march vacation to SC and FL- with very little lighthousing involved. I do know i'm going to get onto that golf course on hilton Head this trip , though.

Dennis

Re: Which Nova Scotia Lighthouse was it? #34162 02/17/07 01:07 PM
Lighthouser Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Quote:
I do know i'm going to get onto that golf course on hilton Head this trip , though.
Which course, Dennis? I've played both the Robert Trent Jones and the Arthur Hills course at Palmetto Dunes and the Harbour Town Golf Links.

It's neat to play within a view of the ocean, but the 18th hole at Harbour Town has a particularly neat view. wink

Judy
(sorry to get off subject, Loon)

Judy
Re: Which Nova Scotia Lighthouse was it? #34163 02/17/07 02:42 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Quote:
Originally posted by Lighthouser:
Quote:
I do know i'm going to get onto that golf course on hilton Head this trip , though.
Which course, Dennis? I've played both the Robert Trent Jones and the Arthur Hills course at Palmetto Dunes and the Harbour Town Golf Links.

It's neat to play within a view of the ocean, but the 18th hole at Harbour Town has a particularly neat view. wink

Judy
(sorry to get off subject, Loon)
Judy,

I don't play golf. I'm just going to see the Hilton Head Rear Range Lighthouse on the grounds of the Arthur Hills Golf Course.

I tried to get there last year but went too late in the day and they wouldn't let me on into the Plantation and we didn't have time after that to try again.

We'll be there early next month and I'm going to try and get there the first day.

Dennis

Re: Which Nova Scotia Lighthouse was it? #34164 02/17/07 02:46 PM
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Dennis, My mistake, I meant Gilbert's Cove. Thanks again!!!

Judy, Don't apologize for getting off track. I'm taking note of the golf courses. Never know when I might get down that way. laugh

Stan M
Re: Which Nova Scotia Lighthouse was it? #34165 02/18/07 05:30 PM
B
BobGCT Offline
B
It's true that most of the lights in Nova Scotia look like little red and white salt and pepper shakers, but they are placed in some pretty locations.
I might off base but the N.S. Tourism Board puts a great book called the "N.S.Doers and Dreamers Guide" that has just about everthing you could want to know. Places to stay, things to see(lighthouses?!), campgrounds, you name it.
Everything is broken down by routes that are part of the highway system. Hope this helps.
Bob G.

Re: Which Nova Scotia Lighthouse was it? #34166 02/18/07 09:30 PM
E
EllenLG Offline
E
Hello
it is gilbert's cove and it's west of digby.
i found the book we got when we traveled their
the name is
discover nova scotia lighthouses
co-published by
the province of nova scotia
and nimbus publishing limited
and it also is broken down by trails
same as the doers and dreamers guide.
ellen smile

Re: Which Nova Scotia Lighthouse was it? #34167 02/18/07 11:31 PM
MtnHkr Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Here is a link to some pictures we took last year on our vacation to Nova Scotia. Don't pass up the Cabot Trail if you get to the northern end of Nova Scotia.

NOVA SCOTIA PICTURES

Bert

No mountain is too tall if your first step is belief. -Anonymous
Re: Which Nova Scotia Lighthouse was it? #34168 02/18/07 11:39 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Revisiting your pictures was once again a real treat, Bert. Thanks for the link!

smile Bob smile

Re: Which Nova Scotia Lighthouse was it? #34169 02/19/07 01:05 AM
Grover Offline
Thanks for sharing those spectacular photos. I made it up and over there last fall ... I saw so much over four days and still didnt have enough time ...

Here's something a little different ... this is what you can encounter on the way to Enragee Point out in the Chetticamp area ...

Deer are nothing ... try getting past these guys ...

... to get here ...

"Wisdom and Strength are NOT opposing values"
Re: Which Nova Scotia Lighthouse was it? #34170 02/19/07 07:39 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Interesting series of pics, Grover. Thanks for sharing.

I could almost feel cold looking at the white caps on those waves. Were the steers friendly? Apparently they just roam around and go where they want.

smile Bob smile

Re: Which Nova Scotia Lighthouse was it? #34171 02/19/07 11:51 AM
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Wow !!! Thanks for posting the pictures, links, and info.

Makes me want to go back up there.

Stan M
Re: Which Nova Scotia Lighthouse was it? #34172 02/20/07 03:10 PM
5lights Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Great pictures Grover. Enjoyed them very much-particularily the cows, being from Wisconsin! wink

Debbie
Re: Which Nova Scotia Lighthouse was it? #34173 02/21/07 11:24 AM
Grover Offline
Thanks, Debbie

The Chetticamp Area of Nova Scotia was just one of the most ruggedly beautiful areas I have ever seen ... kind of "more Maine than Maine" and on top of that, it was such a raw, cold, rainy day that day ... sometimes ... maybe most times ... so much better than the bright sunny days and blue skies if you want the true feel of "lighthousing"

(Well, maybe NOT the rain!)

"Wisdom and Strength are NOT opposing values"
Re: Which Nova Scotia Lighthouse was it? #34174 02/21/07 12:45 PM
5lights Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I agree Grover!
It's easier to lighthouse on warm, sunny days...but you don't get to experience what it might have been like to be the keeper.
Two years ago we went on Door County"s lighthouse walk. The sun was shining, but the wind was fierce. When we visited the Sturgeon Bay lights, we walked out to the end of the pierhead light. It was a battle! My daughter and I both remarked what it must have been like for the keeper, when he had to walk out to tend the light. Then add waves washing over it besides....makes you appreciate what a tough job they had and the dedication that it took!!!!!

Debbie

Moderated by  PFC 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Dave H, Rock), 1,471 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users