Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Charley's Visit to the Outer Banks #34123 08/17/04 03:08 PM
Lighthouser Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
The NPS of Cape Hatteras National Seashore reports that the Hatteras, Cape Lookout and Bodie lighthouses all fared well.

Cape Hatteras was closed in anticipation of high winds and heavy storms.

Bodie Island is closed now at the base because of earlier damage prior to the storm last week, where two pieces of ironwork fell to the ground. This has been reported in a previous thread. The NPS reports that these were two adjacent pieces of belt course on the east side of the tower, one immediately above the ocean facing windows.

News from Oak Island:
There was lots of flooding. Much roof damage and landcaping destroyed. Our friends report that it looks like a moonscape in many places. One house burnt to the ground during the storm. However, the lighthouse, and the the Coast Guard Station appears undamaged.

Baldhead
Much the same, but the lighthouse appears undamaged.

Judy

Judy
Re: Charley's Visit to the Outer Banks #34124 08/17/04 03:14 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Thanks for the update, Judy. Glad all came thru fine.

Re: Charley's Visit to the Outer Banks #34125 08/17/04 06:02 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Havn't seen Currituck yet...will give a report on what I see next time we drive down...going to see if I can get my parents to take the Rover up to the 4X4 beach to see how it fared up there.

We acutally got more of a hit up here in Corolla than down in Hatteras it seems. Here at The Currituck Club, the golf course has been closed for the last three days due to the water. They got an A(lex) B(onnie) C(harley) hit here. The Bonnie water hadn't seeped into the ground when Charley came through. There are puddles all over. They were worse yesterday. I biked through one that had the lower pedal skimming the water. One house had ducks living in its flooded driveway. Pumps are running everywhere into the sound.

Went for a walk along the course on Sat. after the storm...kind of. We got the tail of the storm, with lots of wind but no rain. I felt like the Flying Nun. We think we got gusts up to 60MPH. Whitecaps on Currituck Sound, something we have never seen on these placid waters. No photos...forgot my camera. I'm kicking myself for that.

After the storm, we went in the backyard, and the pool was almost overflowing and filled with leaves. Fortunately, my dad knew how to pump it out.

I wrote some really bad "storm logs" that are in Nothing to Do with Anything. I thought that the power was going to go out with hyper newscaster, so I didn't go through and refine it.

Overall, we seemed to fare somewhat well here. Seeing Punta Gorda makes me feel lucky. I can now say that I was in the centre of a hurricane! smile

Re: Charley's Visit to the Outer Banks #34126 08/18/04 12:15 PM
Lighthouser Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
OBC, Inc. reports that Currituck made it through this storm unharmed.

You will notice a difference in the light sequence for awhile, but this was not related to Charley's visit.

Because it was hit by lightning last month, Currituck is waiting on the Coast Guard to install a new flasher. The light is still on but you don't see the 20 second sequence.

Greg...hope you and your family are having a wonderful week on the Outer Banks. I loved your remark about Route 12 and the wet bathing suit! How perfect!

Judy smile

Judy
Re: Charley's Visit to the Outer Banks #34127 08/22/04 02:15 AM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
The light looked fine. Light sequence was definitely different--glad I know why. There's some sort of apparatus on the roof, too...not sure what it is, but don't think it was there before.

Sitting here at home, with my best friend Optimum Online. I broke up with phone cord. :rolleyes: Now I'm just trying to get that middle-of-nowhere-gas-station stick off the soles of my shoes, and the who-knows-where-we-are fast-food joint overpowering hand soap smell off my hands. I think I need Brillo. :rolleyes: Only to be beaten by the rotting foodstuffs discovered at the bottom of the seatback pocket. eek

Aah, the return from the Outer Banks. :rolleyes:

Re: Charley's Visit to the Outer Banks #34128 08/28/04 04:13 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Just got a promo postcard in the mail from Bald Head Island...you ask for a rental brochure, and two years later, you get "Dear Bald Head Island Propertyowner". I wish! :rolleyes:

Here is the text:

"While Bald Head Island played unwilling host to Hurricane Charley on Saturday, August 14, 2004, we are pleased to inform you that the island is recovering quickly following the storm. Best estimates are that the island recieved wind gusts up to 75 MPH. Fortunately, wind damage from the hurricane was minimal, with the greatest challenge being flooding created by a combination of heavy rains and overwash. While substantial overwash occured along portions of South Bald Head Wynd (one of the streets on the island), property damage was limited to a few homes. All utilities such as water, sewer, electricity, cable TV, and the passenger ferry are restored, and most services and outlets including rental accomodations, restaurants, the golf course, the marina, the Bald Head Island Club and the Shoals Club are open for buisiness.

"We want to assure you that the island is in remarkably good condtion following the storm and we look forward to seeing you soon!"

Nice to hear! laugh

Moderated by  PFC 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,293 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users