cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
!!Alternative Plans for OBLHS The Keeper's Weekend - Due to Isabel!! #34066 09/27/03 04:08 PM
Lighthouser Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
OBLHS The Keeper's Weekend
Some Important Changes Due to Isabel!

The daytime events planned for Saturday from 10-4pm have been postponed until reopening of the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse next spring.

Instead, we offer you an exciting alternative plan that promises a wonderful weekend for all.

Please make note of the changes, and plan on joining us for a weekend of lighthouse events on the Outer Banks.

Quote:
"With grit and grace, just like Outer Bankers and lighthouse enthusiasts, we return to the Outer Banks! Help support us and the people and area businesses of the Outer Banks."...Cheryl Roberts, Outer Banks Lighthouse Society
Quote:
"Repairs are continuing at break-neck speed with major disaster teams arriving daily to take care of any wind/water damage. The Outer Banks opened to the public yesterday...and it's business as usual. I'm impressed by the people here!
We look forward to welcoming visitors!!!! For those planning to attend the Hatteras celebration - you will have a wonderful time!"...Maureen Griffin, owner of The Lighthouse Gallery in Nags Head.
*****Start your weekend, Friday evening Oct.17th from 5:00 until 7'ish PM at Lighthouse Gallery and Gifts, 301 Driftwood Street in Nags Head.

Join us for Book Signings under the tent.

Homer Hickam, author of the best sellers Torpedo Junction, and Rocket Boys (subsequently made into the movie October Sky) will be present to sign his new book The Keeper's Son.

Also, David Stick, author of Graveyard of the Atlantic and The Outer Banks of North Carolina and other titles, and Kevin Duffus, creator of several videos on Outer Banks history and author of The Lost Light: The True Story about the Disappearance and Finding of the Hatteras Lens.

Bruce Roberts and Cheryl Shelton-Roberts will also be on hand to sign their various lighthouse publications and enjoy talking with everyone.

The OBLHS Keeper's Shop will be open, and major credit cards will be accepted!

To reserve copies or order signed books to be shipped call Lighthouse Gallery & Gifts at (800) 579-2827. Great lasting gifts!
Partial proceeds benefit OBLHS.

*****Postponed until reopening of the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse next spring, the Saturday program event that was planned from 10 until 4.
But here are our alternative plans for attending dinner guests.

The public is invited to join us but bus transportation is provided from Nags Head to Cape Hatteras for dinner registrants only.

We’ll meet in front of our hotel, Comfort Inn Oceanfront South in Nags Head at 10 AM Saturday morning, Oct 18th and travel by bus (or you can drive your car if you’d like) to the Cape Hatteras Light Station for a brief program at both the old and new sites.

Bett Padgett will provide music, our volunteer Keeper, Brent Westwood, will raise the 1803 flag, and Kevin Duffus will speak about the history of the lighthouse.

We will read the keepers’ names and sound the bell. Before leaving the grounds at Cape Hatteras, we will have a box lunch picnic together.

We hope to visit the Bodie Island Light Station if the service road off Hwy 12 into the grounds has been cleared.

If the grounds are open, Volunteer Dave Reed will be there to open the lower portion of the lighthouse. We’ll even provide bug spray!

Some of the authors will be available on the back porch of the Keeper's Dwelling for impromtu talks.

The public is invited to meet us at the lighthouse Saturday, Oct 18th. (The grounds at Cape Hatteras will reopen the week of October 1st.)

We will return mid-Saturday afternoon to the Comfort Inn Oceanfront South and get ready for the dinner.

For reservations at Comfort Inn Oceanfront South in Nags Head: 252/ 441-6315. Identify yourself as being with the Outer Banks Lighthouse Society for a special rate.

*****Saturday evening, The KEEPER'S DINNER will begin with an EXTENDED TWO-HOUR SOCIALIZING, authors’ signing, and cash bar beginning at 5:00 PM with dinner at 7:00 at the Comfort Inn Oceanfront South in Nags Head (ballroom).

Music by Bett Padgett. Cost is $35. Dinner will be buffet style, prepared by an outstanding local caterer.

We are honored to have Keynote Speaker Homer Hickam on "Lighthouses, Rocket Ships, and the Dreams of Boys."
Homer is a retired NASA scientist whose expertise was training astronauts how to manipulate in a gravity-free environment. To hear him speak is truly inspirational and uplifting. His books are NY Times Best Seller List titles.

Following the dinner and Keynote Speech by Homer Hickam, the lucky Raffle Tickets will be drawn, and the Auction will begin!
Look for auction items to be the best we've ever had!

For the Auction, all major credit cards are accepted!

Items will include a print by Terry Elkins, and other beautiful artwork matted and signed by the artist, including photography of the Outer Banks by Steve Exum and Gary Martin and pen & ink illustrations by Brent Westwood.

Look for author-autographed books and nautical items, Southeastern Stamp Cachets signed by the artist, Harbour Lights Collectibles, jewelry, and many surprises!

John McPherson is back as emcee!

This is a wonderful and delightful event each year and always a highlight for the Society to see old and new friends.

With grit and grace, just like Outer Bankers and lighthouse enthusiasts, we return to the Outer Banks! Help support us and the people & area businesses of the Outer Banks!

We'll see you soon!

• For more information on this event and to make dinner reservations, order raffle tickets, and order box lunches, please contact:

Judy Castleberry, VP Director of Fundraising, OBLHS by email: castleberry1@comcast.net or,

Betty Parrish, VP Membership bparrish@outer-banks.com.

Judy
Re: !!Alternative Plans for OBLHS The Keeper's Weekend - Due to Isabel!! #34067 09/27/03 05:00 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Count me in! I'll be there.

Re: !!Alternative Plans for OBLHS The Keeper's Weekend - Due to Isabel!! #34068 09/27/03 07:16 PM
Lighthouser Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Looking forward to seeing you, John!

Judy smile

Judy
Re: !!Alternative Plans for OBLHS The Keeper's Weekend - Due to Isabel!! #34069 09/27/03 11:59 PM
S
SandySea Offline
S
I'll be there! The condo building I'd reserved for the whole week of 11-19 Oct is now reported to be in a "condemned" building, but the realtors told me to call back next week as many buildings will re-open .. and, if not, I can be relocated to another of their properties. Not to worry!

Re: !!Alternative Plans for OBLHS The Keeper's Weekend - Due to Isabel!! #34070 09/28/03 03:17 AM
Lighthouser Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Sandy...sure hope they get you situated, but sounds like they are determined.

I'm coming in on the 16th, and hope to catch up with you Friday night!

Judy smile

Judy
Re: !!Alternative Plans for OBLHS The Keeper's Weekend - Due to Isabel!! #34071 09/28/03 10:08 AM
Shirin Offline
I'm still planning on being there! That is if I can get my car fixed. It was not playing fair yesterday on my drive home from New Jersey. frown

Shirin
Re: !!Alternative Plans for OBLHS The Keeper's Weekend - Due to Isabel!! #34072 09/28/03 10:57 AM
Lighthouser Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Oh, Shirin...I hope that will all work out for you!

You've become so much a part of this event, it just wouldn't be the same without you there!

Good Luck, my friend!

Judy

Judy
Re: !!Alternative Plans for OBLHS The Keeper's Weekend - Due to Isabel!! #34073 09/28/03 11:01 AM
Shirin Offline
We shall see how the car thing goes tomorrow. And if I have to rent a car to get to this event, then that is just what I'll have to do.

Shirin
Re: !!Alternative Plans for OBLHS The Keeper's Weekend - Due to Isabel!! #34074 09/28/03 11:13 AM
Lighthouser Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
That's the spunk of a true Lighthouser! smile

Judy

Judy
Re: !!Alternative Plans for OBLHS The Keeper's Weekend - Due to Isabel!! #34075 09/28/03 11:25 AM
Lighthouser Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Big Congratulations to Shirin for winning the recent OBLHS "Tee Shirt Slogan" Contest!!

She submitted..."I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah!"

There were over 70 entries, and the judges declared three as winners, Shirin, Dave DeMoss and Leah Loar-Mays. A combination of their entries became the official slogan...
Quote:
"I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah!"
Cape Hatteras Lighthouse, the Ultimate Survivor 1803-2003+"
Each of the three winner's will receive a HL Cape Hatteras GLOW which depicts the light in it's new location, a commorative tee shirt, and a free dinner at The Keeper's Dinner Oct. 18th in Nags Head.

Shirin's slogan will also be part of the gigantic banner that will be displayed in the banquet room.

Only one "problem" with Shirin's slogan...I can't get that tune out of my head! smile Bruce Roberts says that he just loves it!

Judy smile

Judy

Moderated by  PFC 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,414 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users