Next Thread
Print Thread
Currituck County Strikes Again #34014 04/10/04 01:07 AM
Dave H Online OP
Saint
OP Online
Saint
This story hot off the wires

We wondered how long it would be before the flaming jerkwads of Currituck County reared their ugly heads. Well, they have done it . . .

Re: Currituck County Strikes Again #34015 04/10/04 10:34 AM
DMancini Offline
Dave, that is just so sad. I wish the County would just butt out of this.

If the county (heaven forbid) gets their grubby hands on the lighthouse, anyone want to bet that those "ordinances" will suddenly disappear?

This is the downside of lighthouse preservation--Greed. And, unfortunately, there is a lot of it out there.

frown frown frown

Diane
Re: Currituck County Strikes Again #34016 04/10/04 10:46 AM
PFC Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Something needs to be done to put an end to this nonsense once and for all!

The State of North Carolina must step in and take action to stop the Currituck County's ongoing harrassment of the Outer Banks Conservationists!

I can't believe this is still going on - don't these County Commissioners have anything else to do but continue to try to stop the OBC from doing their work of preserving this historic lighthouse?

Maybe we need to start a letter writing campaign to the Governor of North Carolina?

Paul Conlin
frown mad

Help Save Our Lighthouses!

Become a part of the
American Lighthouse Foundation
P.O. Box 565
Rockland, Maine 04841

207 594-4174

www.lighthousefoundation.org
Re: Currituck County Strikes Again #34017 04/10/04 06:38 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Amazing. Just plain amazing.

Re: Currituck County Strikes Again #34018 04/10/04 07:09 PM
J
Jazzer Offline
J
If the lighthouse is closed perhaps a billboard should be posted reading.......

"Currituck County has closed the Lighthouse. Proceed to other North Carolina Counties and Lighthouses to spend your money".

Lonnie
Re: Currituck County Strikes Again #34019 04/11/04 09:33 AM
RFoster Offline
I find these latest actions by Currituck County, to hinder the Outer Banks Conservationist’s (OBC) successful operation of Currituck Lighthouse for lighthouse lovers everywhere, to be very distasteful. They (the County) obviously have a bad case of sour grapes after losing their bid to take the lighthouse away from the OBC.

I agree that a letter-writing campaign to the Governor may help and urge all to do just that.

You may contact the Governor's Office by sending a letter to Governor Easley,
by e-mailing the Governor's Office

governor@ncmail.net

or by calling the Governor's Office at:
1-800-662-7952 valid in North Carolina only
(919)733-4240, or (919)733-5811.

The address for all correspondence is:

Governor Michael F. Easley
Office of the Governor
20301 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, NC 27699-0301

Fax: (919)715-3175 or (919)733-2120

Ron
(CT Keeper)

edited to make email link work

Ron
(CT Keeper)
Re: Currituck County Strikes Again #34020 04/13/04 02:23 PM
Lighthouser Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
The Outer Banks Sentinel just posted the following article...

No Peace for Currituck

Judy

Judy
Re: Currituck County Strikes Again #34021 04/13/04 04:26 PM
Dave H Online OP
Saint
OP Online
Saint
You know, I would be really interested in learning what important work gets put aside so the morons in charge of Currituck County can keep dreaming up ways to jack up OBC. Hard to believe that there is absolutely no crime that the police should be working on, or that the county is so flush with funds that the commissioners can continue to squander their financial resources to continue this vendetta. It's not like the lighthouse wasn't there before people built houses around it or anything.

Re: Currituck County Strikes Again #34022 04/13/04 07:53 PM
Bob Ott Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I agree with everything that has been posted relative to the imbecilic Neanderthals running Currituck County. When a group of people are desperately attempting to preserve and enhance a part of our proud American heritage for the good of the citizens of our country, it’s utterly disgusting that a finite group of people with the mentality of six year olds can dictate to the entire populace. It’s similar to: IF YOU DON’T PLAY THE WAY I WANT, I’M GONNA TAKE MY FOOTBALL AND GO HOME.

The folks of North Carolina involved in this gross infringement on the peoples' rights and utter disregard for the citizens who only want to provide and preserve the beauty of our history for the present and the future, should hang their heads in shame.

Re: Currituck County Strikes Again #34023 04/13/04 11:32 PM
PFC Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Copy of Email sent to the Governor of North Carolina:

Dear Governor Easley,

I am sure that you have knowledge of the situation at Currituck Beach Lighthouse in Corolla, in Currituck County.

The Currituck County Commissioners have stated that the lighthouse is just another business and must follow the same regulations and ordinances as any other business.

The Currituck Beach Lighthouse is not "just another business"! If this lighthouse were forced to close it's door it would have a tremendous negative impact on tourism and thus the general economy of Currituck County.

The members of the Outer Banks Conservationists are not in this for their own good. They are in this because they care deeply about this historic lighthouse, keeper's house and the other buildings on the site. They have worked decades to bring these buildings back from the shambles that they were in when nobody else wanted anything to do with them. Just look at the fantastic job they have done in restoring and preserving this lightstation. All one has to do is look at the before and after pictures to realize the depth of their dedication to the cause of preserving the Currituck Beach Lighthouse for future generations.

It is not only the people of Currituck County or the residents of North Carolina that benefit from this lighthouse being open to the public. People come from all over the United States to visit the Outer Banks and many of them are Lighthouse Lovers who would have to go elsewhere to visit these historic lights if Currituck were forced to close. I am sure that this would mean the loss of many tourist dollars to the county and state.

I have been told that the remaining problem is the lack of available parking at the site. I believe that the County Commissioners have stated that the OBC must supply 125 parking spaces to be compliant with the existing regulations.

It is my understanding that there is land directly abutting the lighthouse property that is owned by the State of North Carolina. Do you think that possibly the State could work out some type of agreement with the OBC that would allow them to use this area for lighthouse parking? This would certainly be a better solution for the Currituck Beach Lighthouse, the Outer Banks Conservationists, Currituck County and the beautiful State of North Carolina!

You may want to read an article in todays Outer Banks Sentinel by Angela Perez of the Sentinel Staff. Check the following link:
http://www.womacknewspapers.com/obsentinel/

It is my sincere hope that an amicable and peaceful solution can be worked out between the Outer Banks Conservationists, the Currituck County Commissioners and the State of North Carolina to make sure that the beautiful, historic Currituck Beach Lighthouse remains open to the public for future generations to enjoy!

All my best,
Paul F. Conlin
Secretary,

Become a part of the
P.O. Box 565
Rockland, Maine 04841

207 594-4174

Re: Currituck County Strikes Again #34024 04/14/04 10:22 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Next thing you know, the Currituck County folks will declare that the height of the tower exceeds local zoning laws and will have to be lowered to 35'.

Re: Currituck County Strikes Again #34025 04/14/04 10:35 AM
Brent Offline
Good one, John!! smile
It would be interesting to check into the Currituck County records to see if they've ever "grandfathered" any zoning laws in the past. I would bet they have, on many occasions. This has gone well past "sour grapes"....it is now totally idiotic and insane! mad

Brent
OBLHS Charter Member
Re: Currituck County Strikes Again #34026 04/14/04 05:24 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Brent, I think we should call it Rasins. laugh

This is ridiculous. CBL should hire an attorney. Maybe one of those big NYC ones that always win. We need it. At least someone to look into Brent's idea and find a loophole or something. mad

I am starting to feel guilt about vacationing in Corolla in August... frown

Re: Currituck County Strikes Again #34027 04/15/04 07:10 PM
PFC Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
smile The Attorney General of the State of North Carolina has been asked to look into this matter by the Governor laugh

Become a part of the
P.O. Box 565
Rockland, Maine 04841

207 594-4174

Re: Currituck County Strikes Again #34028 04/16/04 12:53 AM
MelJB Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
What great news!!! laugh

This situation has gone on entirely too long! mad

Paul, did you get this info as a reply to your email to Governor Easley?

Melody
Re: Currituck County Strikes Again #34029 04/16/04 01:23 AM
Gary Toth Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Ordinarily I'm not much of a campaigner, but in response to this thread I did send off the following missive to the Governor explaining that people outside his state were paying attention to events inside his state.

To Governor Easley:

I've just finished reading the latest article regarding the several year long battle between the Outer Banks Conservationists and the Currituck County Commissioners over control of Currituck Lighthouse. We have discussed this situation at several of our lighthouse club meetings in Michigan, Indiana, and Missouri and find the entire situation both unbelievable and appalling. Requirements for political office must be different on the East Coast from what they are in the midwest. In Missouri you have to be at least a couple of years over the age of eight to run for office. From what I've read recently it sounds like the Currituck County Commissioners may have to be out of kindergarten, but probably do not have to have exited grade school. The bickering highlighted in the articles sounds like a small child who didn't get the toy he wanted and is now going to do his best to make life hell for the offending parent. I would think the county and state would be more interested in promoting tourism and the state's many available attractions than in creating road blocks to opening a lighthouse to visitors. Generally, the consideration is that the amount of obstructionism being propagated could only be fueled by issues related to revenge or money (or both). It certainly would not seem to be related to "the common good". We've been planning a vacation to the Outer Banks for several years and were going to combine it with a visit to a family friend soon graduating in Virginia Beach, but I find it difficult to think about spending money to support both a state that, in turn, supports a Commission that apparently can't figure out how to park cars without creating a controversy.

We are interested in your situation because we are avid supporters of lighthouses and lighthouse preservation in general. I would greatly appreciate any information that you could send explaining why your office feels that the Outer Banks Conservationists are not the best and most qualified group to be in charge of Currituck Light. It's difficult to understand how a government organization could care more for the preservation of the light and its history than a local lighthouse preservationist support group. In all seriousness, if I have been provided poor and/or inaccurate information through all of the published articles I've read, then please send me the arguments supporting the other side of the debate. Otherwise, please tell the Commissioners that they've been bad and will have to go to their rooms for a timeout period. And you might inform them that they can't come back and be with the grown-ups until they say they're sorry.

One last point. I do believe that the grinding nature of a democratic political system is generally the best way to get the most good accomplished for the greatest numbers of people, even though at times it may not be as efficient or cost effective as I would like. However, when a battle has been fought and lost, get over it. Put your time and energy into school problems or into solving community medical issues. Continuing a crusade that smacks of retaliation does not present a good image to the average guy on the street or the average prospective tourist.

I would rather spend my vacation dollars somewhere where preservation of history overrides the hurt feelings of a few Commissioners. There are lighthouses all over the country that we haven't yet visited. I think upper Michigan may be just as good a destination as the Outer Banks (and I believe there are actually more lighthouses to see as well). Good luck with your controversy. I hope it turns out well - at least for those who support lighthouses and the memory of the effort and work that goes into their operation and preservation.

I guess I really didn't expect a reply, but the following email did arrive this afternoon:

Dear Mr. Toth:

Governor Mike Easley has forwarded your letter regarding the Outer Banks Conservationists and the Currituck Lighthouse to me for response. We
appreciate your interest and the concerns you expressed. Please be advised that the state Attorney General's office has been asked to look into this matter.

Sincerely,
Brenda H. Follmer
Director, Public Affairs
N.C. Department of Cultural Resources

It looks like the electonic mail at least got through. It seems to me that politicians in general respond to issues based on the height of the pile of letters addressing the issue. Maybe in this day and age that same philosophy will transfer to the number of megabytes of email received. Keep those cards and letters coming.

Gary

Re: Currituck County Strikes Again #34030 04/16/04 01:39 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Thanks Gary. Great letter and one of those 'respond without reading' kind of responses from a politico on behalf of the Gov.

I worked for a Gov in Michigan many year ago and the rule of thumb was, if the issue is positive, the Governor responses personally. If the issue is negative, send it down the line for someone else to response and let the Gov say "Thanks for writing; I'm sending your letter on to someone who will respond to you...".

But when the letters to the Gov got down into the state government bureaucracies, they always created a stir and involved the best writers to put a positive spin on the negative situation.

Re: Currituck County Strikes Again #34031 04/16/04 11:09 AM
PFC Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Gary - The State of North Carolina has been much closer to the Outer Banks Conservationists than the Currituck County Commissioners.

In fact in the very beginning of the application process I believe the OBC and the State were going to apply jointly to become the stewards of the lighthouse. The only reason that didn't happen is that only individual applications were being accepted.

It is my firm belief that the State Government and the Attorney General will step in and help to bring about an amicable and peaceful solution to this long standing problem!

This historic lighthouse needs to be preserved and kept open for future generations because the Currituck Beach Lighthouse is "not just another business!"

All my best,
Paul Conlin
ALF Secretary

Become a part of the
P.O. Box 565
Rockland, Maine 04841

207 594-4174

Re: Currituck County Strikes Again #34032 04/16/04 11:14 AM
PFC Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
smile Yes, Melody I did get the info about the Attorney General in reply to my email to the Governor.

Best,
Paul

Become a part of the
P.O. Box 565
Rockland, Maine 04841

207 594-4174

Re: Currituck County Strikes Again #34033 04/16/04 12:50 PM
MelJB Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I was wondering if anyone would receive any replies to emails sent to the Governor or not.

I do remember reading that the State had been supportive of OBC in the past. smile

Melody
Re: Currituck County Strikes Again #34034 04/16/04 01:15 PM
Lighthouser Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Paul is exactly correct. The state of North Carolina has sided with OBC, Inc. all along. The state is the best hope of resolving this conflict, and one of the best friends of the lighthouse.

It is the local county of Currituck, and namely at this point, the five commissioners who set on the board that are the problem.

The five are not 100% against OBC, but as in most cases, the majority wins the argument. How do we sway or persuade the attitudes of the bulk of the board to a more adult informed way of thinking?

How do we get the governor to respond directly to the many letters and emails that are pouring in, instead of passing them on down the line for a "canned" response?

Do please keep those letters & emails flowing into the governor's office. The impact on tourism dollars should be the key to get some help here.

But please, folks, don't send out negative thoughts about all the lighthouses of North Carolina. There is only one that sits hostage to the notions of these five commissioners.

"Common sense will prevail." Common sense, you would think would prevail, but everytime we think we've seen it all in the Currituck Beach Lighthouse ownership saga, these boys (the commissioners (and whoever pulls their puppet strings) astound us with something else.

The OBC has legal counsel, and they have the lighthouse community on their side. They have complied with every request from the county except the 125 parking spaces, including setting porta potties in place at the entrance to the grounds. At present, there is no where to go to make additional parking spaces, but there is adjoining land...which happens to belong to the state.

Judy

Judy
Re: Currituck County Strikes Again #34035 04/24/04 05:39 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
The County now says it will start fining OBC $100 a day for non-compliance on restrooms and parking:

http://obsentinel.womacknewspapers.com/articles/2004/04/24/top_stories/2lighthouse.txt

Re: Currituck County Strikes Again #34036 04/24/04 06:16 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Maybe we should start a pool to send to OBC to help them with this until they straighten this out. $00/day times the two months that it will take to build a gravel lot...$6,100. That's how much will be needed. Among the 100 active members, and helping out with 30% of the fines, we could each donate around $20 and help out. Perhaps we should do that... smile

Re: Currituck County Strikes Again #34037 04/26/04 02:03 AM
MelJB Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Might be longer than 2 months Greg, frown as I don't believe there is enough room on the current plot of land OBC owns to put in a lot for 125 cars. The state does own some ajoining property I think, but will they allow OBC to use it? Perhaps a question Judy (Lighthouser) could answer for us? (At least the part about whether the state owns ajoining land.)

Melody
Re: Currituck County Strikes Again #34038 04/26/04 01:18 PM
Dave H Online OP
Saint
OP Online
Saint
Quote:
Sawyer said that the OBC was made aware of the violations during the application process. "They were well aware that whoever was granted ownership would have to follow the county's UDO."
Yeah, right. Anyone believe this load of horse manure? Didn't think so.

The fact is that the county is trying to impose rules after the fact, and after they have not been an issue until the scumbags lost their bid to steal the property. Funny how parking and restrooms were OK until the county was shown to be a poor steward of historic properties. I wonder how much use the county restrooms (paid for in part by OBC) and their parking lot is being used. Is there a fine for parking there and going to the lighthouse? Have they hired a full time parking lot attendant and rest room attendant? Even though these would be jobs the county commissioners would be perfectly suited for (and would fit their skill levels), it certainly is a further waste of scarce tax revenues.

Re: Currituck County Strikes Again #34039 04/26/04 01:33 PM
Lighthouser Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Another ridiculous part of this...the restrooms are not being used at all! :rolleyes:

Evidently in order to "police" lighthouse tourists from using them, the doors have been padlocked. This has required the property at Whalehead Club to also put porta potties in place.
(OBC, Inc. has placed two porta potties at the entrance to the lighthouse grounds)

The state does own adjoining property, but I don't have any information to date on any progress in that direction. That is to say, there isn't any info that I'm privy to.

Judy

Judy
Re: Currituck County Strikes Again #34040 04/26/04 01:56 PM
Dave H Online OP
Saint
OP Online
Saint
What rocket scientists those people really are. Here, Junior, let me help you shoot yourself in the foot one more time. . . . . . .

Re: Currituck County Strikes Again #34041 04/27/04 12:40 PM
Chesapeake Bryan Offline

Re: Currituck County Strikes Again #34042 04/27/04 12:46 PM
Lighthouser Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Now we know that the adjoining land the state owns is not a possibility.

http://home.hamptonroads.com/stories/story.cfm?story=69529&ran=209958

Let's hope the Attorney General exercises common sense and steps in...SOON!

This devoted and repeated tourist to
the Outer Banks is not spending any money on the mainland in Currituck County or on the OBX in Currituck County until this is resolved properly.

I will visit Currituck Beach Lighthouse because I love it.

It I can only see it from the highway, so be it...I'll just send a donation to OBC,Inc. and head back into Dare County to spend my tourist dollars on accomodations, and patronize only
Dare County restaurants, grocery stores, and shops. I will spend all the time I want at the other lighthouses on the Outer Banks.

(Bryan, we must have been writing at the same time.)

Judy

Judy
Re: Currituck County Strikes Again #34043 04/28/04 08:18 PM
Chesapeake Bryan Offline
Here is another article from today's Daily Advance:

Lighthouse faces fines

Re: Currituck County Strikes Again #34044 04/29/04 11:50 AM
Lighthouser Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
The Daily Advance historically on this subject is bias towards the county, and once again very loudly voiced their bias in this article.

On the other hand, you will read a more complete report of both sides' actions in papers such as the Sentinel and The Independent.

For a strikingly different report of the most current piece of the saga, please read Barbara Solow's column in yesterday's Independent...

http://indyweek.com/durham/current/triangles2.html

Judy

Judy
Re: Currituck County Strikes Again #34045 04/29/04 08:31 PM
Chesapeake Bryan Offline
FWIW, here is another story from the daily advance: OBC says it cannot meet Currituck rules

I also found this letter to the editor in the OBX Sentinel: Move on or move out

Re: Currituck County Strikes Again #34046 04/29/04 11:01 PM
Dave H Online OP
Saint
OP Online
Saint
It certainly is a sad state of affairs in the miserable cesspool of a county. Commissioner Ernie Bowdon certainly has to feel like an island in the sewage tank, with his support for the OBC position. I wonder how much heat he gets from the bottom feeders that make up the rest of the council? I find this an interesting passage from the Independen't article:
Quote:
With other businesses, they don't invoke these restrictions they know cannot be complied with," says Currituck Commissioner Ernie Bowden, who supported the county's initial ownership bid for the lighthouse but has been critical of its recent actions. "I have put the question to the county on at least four different occasions: If the ownership situation were reversed, how would the county comply with this? They have not answered."
Definitely something to ponder.

I would think it is time for OBC to consider what the county keeps coming back to - apply for the permits and see what the county says. Odds are they will deny them, and deny use of the Whalehead lot. (something raised as a possibility in one of the articles above.) The county clowns keep saying that all they want is for OBC to come talk. Time to force the "talk" issue? The downside is that in so doing OBC will have to at least partially acknowlege that the county may have the right to do what they are doing.

Another quote from the Independent article:
Quote:
Some observers speculate privately that the zoning issue is a way for the county to gain leverage for a plan to put paved parking, bathhouses and public toilets on the wilderness portion of the lighthouse tract--an idea state preservation leaders and OBC members have spoken out against in the past. Others describe it as payback for the county's losing out on owning the tower.
In effect, the Currituck County Commissioners are in contempt of Congress by virtue of refusing to allow the transfer of the light happen as is the intent of the NHLPA. I imagine before all is done that this fiasco will end up in federal court, a waste of tax funds that Currituck County doesn't have, and of funds that the OBC would otherwise use for preservation.

Who wins in all this? At this point, the ego of a few jackasses that happen to be the so-called government of the county. Read the letter to the Sentinel that Bryan has a link to - hits the circus head on!

Moderated by  PFC 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Dave H), 1,209 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users