cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Cape Hatteras' new position #3331 08/04/99 12:32 PM
Augie K. Offline OP
OP Offline
I just received my August edition of Lighthouse Digest magazine. On the cover was a nice picture of the Cape Hatteras' move. Inside there was a great article about this move, and how they actual move it. This is going to save this wonderful lighthouse. In previous issues they have been following/documenting on the move. The one thing I don't understand is how is Cape Hatteras going to be anchored in its new location? According to the article Cape Hatteras weighs approx. 4,800 tons. In its new location is there a concrete foundation upon which it will be attached? What keeps this lighthouse stationary against the elements? If you know how Cape Hatteras is anchored please let me know. Thanks.

Keep The Light Burning

The Flame

Augie K.
NELL Member
Re: Cape Hatteras' new position #3332 08/04/99 05:27 PM
LamarB Offline
An excellent collection of articles and photos concerning nearly every facet of the move is available on the website of the Outer Banks Lighthouse Society at www.outer-banks.com/lighthouse-society/articles.cfm . Hope this helps answer your question.

------------------
Keepin' the flame

[This message has been edited by LamarB (edited 08-04-99).]

Re: Cape Hatteras' new position #3333 08/04/99 05:44 PM
Sunshine Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Lamar, Thanks for the site. I'd lost my bookmark to the site. Everyone at work was watching the move when I checked it online.

This site as well as this forum has allowed me to pass on an avid interest to quite a few newly interested lighthouse enthusiats.

Judy

Re: Cape Hatteras' new position #3334 08/05/99 12:06 PM
FrankB Offline
The new foundation is concrete. (When the "move" was announced as complete, that was just the horizontal move. That still left the step of lowering the lighthouse down on to the new foundation, the opposite of the original jacking up.) The old foundation was wood and was safe as long as the wood remained submerged in fresh water. The encroaching shoreline threated to allow salt water to reach the old foundation. This would have caused the foundation to start to decay and to be subject to attack by salt water organisms.

FrankB

Moderated by  rscroope 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 821 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users