cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Jones & Currituck County Play Their Next Hand - Affects All Lighthouses! #33035 10/28/03 01:05 PM
Lighthouser Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Does An Admission Fee to Climb A Lighthouse Belong to the Taxpayers?

Should the money people pay to climb a lighthouse, thinking their dollars will go to be used at the lighthouse for restoration and maintenance, be confiscated by local polititians?

That's what Rep. Walter B. Jones is telling his constituants! He's looking at $180,000 and saying it belongs to the taxpayers and has to be returned.

If we stand back and look at this as a problem for one tall brick lighthouse in Currituck County NC, then we could very well see other lighthouses having to turn over admissions that have been earmarked for restoration.

As for those lighthouses that have already transferred...they could see their money taken away as well.

Rep. Jones has managed to ruin the National Historic Lighthouse Preservation Act by abusing his power. Are we going to let him continue on his mission...because we see it as a local issue that can't touch us?

Please read on! It is definitely time for the entire lighthousing community to take action. Call your congressman. Write letters. Email.

http://snurl.com/2jav

Rep. Jones is so determined that he is getting Homeland Security involved. Never mind that it takes taxpayers' dollars to pay Homeland Security for it's time. A reasonable person might even say that Homeland Security has more important things to look after.

But wait...Is this the same Rep. Jones who had the following to say back on March 6 of this year?...

Quote:

"I came to Washington to try and fight excessive spending. If I can't get the Government to stop this spending, then maybe I can at least help direct it somewhere beneficial," said Jones in a press release dated March 6, 2003. This was to introduce legislation that would transfer the money that Congress appropriated on pork projects in the recent omnibus appropriations bill to a reserve fund for defense and homeland security.

"We as a Congress must remember that this is the money of the taxpayers. It is our responsibility to spend it wisely, especially in a time of war. How do I justify this budget by saying, 'Sorry about that, we had to appropriate those funds to the Grammy Awards, the Please Touch Museum and National Cowgirl Hall of Fame.' It just doesn't make sense."
Well, Mr. Jones, how do you warrant using taxpayers' dollars to send Homeland Security on an investigation/witch hunt, already cleared by the Coast Guard, to feed your own personal vendetta?

John Wilson of OBC, Inc. has disputed all the un-truths in the newspaper article noted above with the editor of the paper, and it is obvious that the reporter was fed information from Rep. Jones.

Folks, if you think this only affects one tall brick lighthouse in North Carolina, it is time to look at the whole picture. This has ramifications that could reach every lighthouse in America. It could affect lighthouses which have already been turned over to non-profits as the new stewards under the National Historic Lighthouse Preservation Act.

After a very long seige, OBC Inc was granted the deed to Currituck Beach Lighthouse on Oct. 17th, 2003, but obtaining the deed came with a high price. $180,000 had to be transferred to an escrow account.

Rep. Jones is still playing his deck of cards and has laid his next hand on the table...the claim that this money belongs to the taxpayers.

That amount has come from admissions money, from people who climbed the lighthouse, thinking their dollars would be used at the lighthouse for restoration and maintenance.

Will the OBC ever get that money back to where they can use it as earmarked?

Not if Rep. Jones, 3rd District, North Carolina can help it.

For everyone who cares about the future of lighthouses, it's time to get on the phone, write letters, send email.

Rep. Jones has finally managed to make this a battle for every lighthouse.

Judy

Judy
Re: Jones & Currituck County Play Their Next Hand - Affects All Lighthouses! #33036 10/28/03 01:41 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Is there no end to this?

Here's my understanding of how the income from climbing has worked. One half of the $6 fee goes into one fund for restoration and maintenance of the lighthouse tower. The other half goes into a second account for the maintenance and restoration of the grounds and buildings including the keepers quarters.

This, I believe, was part of the contractual agreement when OBC took over the lighthouse so many years ago.

The $180,000 figure was the balance in the account with climbing income.

I can't say just how I know this, but I do know for certain that some maintenance projects which would have begun in the next month have been cancelled or postponed until they know what will happen with these funds.

Perhaps Rep. Jones would be happy if OBC arranged to give these funds to Currituck County as compensation for the staff and lawyers' time spent in fighting the losing battle?? (I'm NOT serious.)

We need to get behind an effort to do whatever it takes to see the Rep Jones is NOT re-elected.

Re: Jones & Currituck County Play Their Next Hand - Affects All Lighthouses! #33037 10/28/03 02:24 PM
Lighthouser Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
You are exactly right, John. That was the contractual agreement. The Coast Guard has recently completed an audit of those funds ( at Jones' urging) and found all funds in order.

Since that was not the answer Jones was looking for, he has managed to get Homeland Security involved (The boss of the Coast Guard).

OBC,Inc. was required to put the total of those funds ($180,000) into an escrow account (as hostage)in order to have the deed transferred to them.

What Jones is seeking to do now...could take all future funds as well...effectively shutting down the lighthousse.

The lighthousing community as a whole is needed to help out this situation, because ultimately, if he is successful, it could affect all lighthouses involved in these transfers.

Seeing that this man is not re-elected is important to all of us who love lighthouses and want to see them preserved for our children & grandchildren.

Judy

Judy
Re: Jones & Currituck County Play Their Next Hand - Affects All Lighthouses! #33038 10/28/03 03:32 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
I don't know the politics of NC, the Outer Banks or Currituck County. I did ask a number of people about Rep Jones while on the Outer Banks last weekend.

A couple of them mentioned that his Dad was a good representative (not sure what position he held), but that Rep Jones is certainly playing politics with the Currituck Beach and OBC affair.

Having a bunch of 'outsiders' (Not NC, not OBXers) contributing to his opponent -- assuming there is one -- could prove to be a trigger for him ("Do we want a bunch of 'outsiders' determining who will represent NC, OBX" etc.)

However, a grass roots campaign not run by the OBLHS (may volate a 503(c) tax status) with bumper stickers that say something like this could get the message across:

I Love Lighthouses And
I'm NOT Voting For Jones!

Re: Jones & Currituck County Play Their Next Hand - Affects All Lighthouses! #33039 10/29/03 12:51 AM
W
WisKeeper Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
W
Great bumper sticker!

Suzanne Murphy
President, Wisconsin Lighthouse District (WILD)
Re: Jones & Currituck County Play Their Next Hand - Affects All Lighthouses! #33040 10/31/03 01:32 AM
J
Jazzer Offline
J
Are funds collected by non-profits subject to taxation or collection in total as revenue for public tax coffers? A good question?

If the lighthouse is closed how much more revenue will be lost through lower visitation and reduced spending at local business?Ah yes that old phrase the forest for the trees comes to mind.

Please someone go to the baby store and get rep. Jones a pacifier, and then to the drug store for that little kit with the soapy water mix. That should take care of both ends.

Lonnie
Re: Jones & Currituck County Play Their Next Hand - Affects All Lighthouses! #33041 10/31/03 10:59 AM
silverfox51 Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Can you imagine what they would be thinking in DC if we all sent him a pacifier and a didey pack laugh . It boggles the mind eek . But then again, they probably wouldn't get it wink

Moderated by  PFC 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,338 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users