Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Whatever Happened to the National Lighthouse Museum? #32447 09/18/05 07:55 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
An interesting long article in the Staten Island paper this Sunday. You'll be asked for zip code, gender and birthyear to view it:

Click Here

Lots of finger-pointing and missed opportunities. Looks like there's still a chance, but not much of one for it to happen. It's been 7 years since Staten Island was selected.

Quote:
The lamp could soon be extinguished on the National Lighthouse Museum in St. George. Awarded to Staten Island with great fanfare in 1998, the museum seemed the first ripple in a wave of waterfront revitalization that eventually resulted in a $78 million minor league ballpark and a new ferry terminal.

But the museum itself remained a paper dream over the years, as founders failed to follow through on their pledge to privately raise the $15 million needed to open the doors of the first museum dedicated to documenting a fast-vanishing part of the nation's nautical history.

Those same people, meanwhile, said in interviews that they wrestled all the way with an often less-than-supportive city Economic Development Corp. (EDC), which owns the 10-acre site located next to the St. George Ferry Terminal.

Re: Whatever Happened to the National Lighthouse Museum? #32448 09/18/05 11:40 PM
DMancini Offline
What a sad state of affairs.

I knew that the museum was struggling to raise funds, but thought with the addition of Jerry Roberts that progress was being made. In fact, Wayne Wheeler of the USLHS had resigned from the Board a while back, but agreed to rejoin when Roberts was selected.

It would be such a shame to lose that site. The depot was an important part of American lighthouse and maritime history.

Diane
Re: Whatever Happened to the National Lighthouse Museum? #32449 09/19/05 05:11 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I thought that they seemed to be quiet there. They kept on putting off launch. It would have been a great concept, and right in my backyard (almost)....

I wonder what will become of the LS Nantucket?

Moderated by  PFC 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,980
Posts184,642
Members2,583
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Rock), 1,317 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
coloradolights, PortageRivrLight, DenizensofDeep, Rtubbs, SafeHarbor
2583 Registered Users