Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Aerial View of East End LI LIghthouses #32367 11/16/00 04:10 PM
rscroope Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I now have a new found respect for aerial photographers! I was offered this new opportunity this morning, and although I found the challenge very invigorating, it was very difficult due to small windows of opportunity, distance decisions, timing, anticipation, battling windows and wings, not to mention the lovely feeling you get looking through a viewfinder while turning corners and being bounced all over the cabin. It was a learning and humbling first time experience. I can't wait to review my digital pictures tonight.
How come BY and Derith never mentioned this?

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Aerial View of East End LI LIghthouses #32368 11/16/00 11:41 PM
RFoster Offline
I'm glad to hear that you made it safely (albeit alittle jossled) Bob. I hope that you share some of the pictures with us (the ones of the lighthouses, not the back of the pilots head or the floor of the cabin).

"Keeping The Flame in New England"
Ron

Ron
(CT Keeper)
Re: Aerial View of East End LI LIghthouses #32369 11/17/00 07:08 PM
Randy Kremer Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Bob,
I know the feeling! The wife and I have taken many flights over the years. The last one was just before the reunion in 1998. We saw 5 lighthouses in Maine on that flight! It is really an adventure! Seeing Pemaquid from the air was breathtaking! I think I took over 50 pictures of those 5 lights! I had a telephoto lens on my camera to get closeups and pictures from farther away. I snapped as many pictures as I could to try and get at least a few good ones! Some come out blurry from the shaking of the plane. To me this is the best way to get an overall view of the light and the surrounding area. A must is to have a "high wing" plane to get the best view without the wings in the way! The pilot always lets me open the window to stick my camera out for the view! Now that's a real adventure!

We have taken flights in NC,SC,Georgia, and Florida. We have seen every lighthouse from the air from Currituck to Ponce Inlet!

Re: Aerial View of East End LI LIghthouses #32370 11/18/00 11:48 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
I'm sorry to say I will not be taking any aerial photos of lighthouses. I have two rules regarding flying:

1. Don't ever get in a plane you can't stand up in.

2. Don't ever get in a plane that has only one engine.

Do you get the idea I don't like to fly?

That's the word from the East Coast where it was a very chilly 27 degrees this morning at 0530 hours but it is a beautiful sunny day now!

Bob

Moderated by  PFC 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (fiksegts, Dave H), 1,201 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users