Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Mobile Point...anyone heard anything? #32030 09/26/04 08:59 PM
seagirt Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
I was just thinking about the Mobile Point Light in Alabama that was removed for restoration a little while ago. Just wondering if anyone had an update on the status of this? confused

Re: Mobile Point...anyone heard anything? #32031 09/27/04 01:59 AM
Shortcake Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I haven't heard a thing! Ivan's eye went right over where this little light is located. But I think it is being kept indoors somewhere for resterations. Will post if I hear of anything.

Stephanie

Stephanie

God may have created man before woman,
but there is always a rough draft before the masterpiece.
Re: Mobile Point...anyone heard anything? #32032 09/29/04 05:50 PM
seagirt Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Talking about Alabama lights and Ivan, your avatar reminded me of Sand Island. How did that fare?

Re: Mobile Point...anyone heard anything? #32033 09/29/04 06:18 PM
Shortcake Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Still haven't heard anything! I would like to get in the car and drive down to check them (Sand Island and Mobile Point) out. But the area is CLOSED to all but property owners and you must show ID with proof of ownership to get anywhere near Dauphin Island or Gulf Shores until the damage is repaired. And that could be months! You can't see Middle Bay from land anywhere. I will post if and when I have some news to tell on any of our Alabama Lights. I also want to know about Pensacola. Biloxi is OK.

Stephanie

Re: Mobile Point...anyone heard anything? #32034 10/01/04 05:14 PM
seagirt Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Hey, didn't someone post in a Hurricane Ivan thread a site with aerial photos of the whole affected area? I have no idea where Sand Island is, but perhaps you could look there? I think they were taken at a bit of an angle, too, so it's not just a roof.

Might help soothe the anxieties... frown

Re: Mobile Point...anyone heard anything? #32035 10/01/04 07:11 PM
Weasel58 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I was the one who posted the link to tHe NOAA website with areial photos of the area. There are not photoes of Sand Island, Middle Bay, Biloxi, or the ruins of Round Island.

Eric
Re: Mobile Point...anyone heard anything? #32036 10/01/04 11:33 PM
Shortcake Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Biloxi is fine, no damage. I went to NAS Pensacola yesterday, could not get on base, but the gate gard told me that the Lighthouse was OK and operational. He had seen the light the night before.

Again will have word on Sand Island, Middle Bay and Mobile Point as soon as I can find out anything.

Stephanie

Re: Mobile Point...anyone heard anything? #32037 10/08/04 02:07 AM
A
alabamalighthouses Offline
A
Not the kind of report any lighthouser wants to read...

This report is abridged from an email circulated by Warren Lee on October 4, 2004.

Overview
When seen from a distance the damage to the lighthouse is not apparent [but] upon closer inspection some significant damage was discovered. The most astounding find was the structural damage to the brick work on the [tower] and the reshaping and removal of protective rocks by the hurricane.

Brick Work Exterior

The entry door has lost many bricks along the western edge for a distance of about 8 ft.
A hole in the masonry wall can be seen on the northwest corner of the lighthouse. This hole is about 3x3 in size and involves the exterior wall of the lighthouse.
Much of the mortar along the northern side has been completely removed from the sandblasting the lighthouse received from sand carried off of [the] Fort Morgan area and the bricks are loose and falling out. The entire structure needs tuck point mortaring or the bricks are going to continue to fall off the lighthouse.
The foundation shows signs of crumbling that has never been there before.
Cracks have appeared in the masonry that were not there before the storm. Several of these are quite extensive.
Brick Work Interior

A detailed interior inspection [beyond looking through the entrance door way] was not made at this time. Bricks have loosened and holes are now apparent in the interior wall of the lighthouse.
The security door mountings have broken loose from the brick work due to the bricks collapsing around the door. This might pose a danger to the public if they force the door open and enter the structure in its present condition.
Boulders Strike Lighthouse

Several 1-2 ton boulders were thrown against the base of the lighthouse during the storm, damaging brick work of the lighthouse. A few remain against the lighthouse's base. These are evidence of the tremendous fury that the structure underwent. A large boulder is now below the old entrance way to the lighthouse. Two more are along the East and north east sides of the lighthouse. Several more have been displaced from around the lighthouse's base and are nowhere to be found.
Island Proper Damaged

Many of the boulders some weighing several tons were completely removed from the island and relocated in the Gulf waters some distance from the lighthouse.
The old home foundation on the North side of the lighthouse has several large chunks broken off and water now stands almost all the way to the foundation of the lighthouse. No protection remains along the northern side of the lighthouse now of any serious consequence. Without this rock island protection the next hurricane could possibly destroy the lighthouse completely.
Oyster shells are now on the topside of many of the boulders well above and beyond the high tide line, and as we all know, oysters do not grow out of the ocean.
Iron Work

New cracks have appeared in the iron work near the top and several feet of hand railing are now missing.
The interior stairs are pulled loose from the wall and need repair also.
Signs

All signs were destroyed that were at the lighthouse.
This concludes our report. We are sorry that our report could not have been more favorable.

Sincerely,
Warren Lee
Ben Murphy
Alabama Lighthouse Association

Re: Mobile Point...anyone heard anything? #32038 10/15/04 09:42 AM
Shortcake Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Have been working so many long (18hr) days in the last two weeks that I haven't been able to check on anything. Have been at NAS Pensacola for the last 4 days working a shuttle for clean up crews. Seen the light for myself, and it seems to be fine. Have not gotten an ocean side view, but the landward view shows no damage, and the light is working! laugh

Stephanie

Re: Mobile Point...anyone heard anything? #32039 10/20/04 11:08 PM
PFC Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Ivan slams Sand Island Light frown

From wpmi.com
NBC 15 News

http://tinyurl.com/6683r

My best,
Paul Conlin
ALF Secretary

Help Save Our Lighthouses!

Become a part of the
American Lighthouse Foundation
P.O. Box 565
Rockland, Maine 04841

207 594-4174

www.lighthousefoundation.org

Moderated by  PFC 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 900 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users