Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Currituck to fence off OBC's beacon #31485 02/12/05 12:22 AM
Chesapeake Bryan Offline OP
OP Offline

Re: Currituck to fence off OBC's beacon #31486 02/12/05 12:53 AM
Zachary Offline
Jeez, the city Gov't are such a bunch of whiney babies. They can't win so they try to cover it up by enforcing what power they do have, typical political crap! It's just sad that such a beautiful, historic structure is caught in the middle.

Re: Currituck to fence off OBC's beacon #31487 02/12/05 01:58 AM
Dave H Online
Saint
Saint
Can you say "bunch of flaming jackasses"?? I hope that OBC marches down to Federal Court and sues that bunch of irresponsible, power abusing, money wasting scum bags that the morons of Currituck County allow to represent them. I think many of us would be willing to put a few bucks into an OBC "sue the scumbags" fund.

Re: Currituck to fence off OBC's beacon #31488 02/12/05 02:03 AM
K
keeperpam2 Offline
Wacko
Wacko
K
Well said!

Re: Currituck to fence off OBC's beacon #31489 02/12/05 04:32 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Makes me want to ship those Currituck County folks a few bags of pig manure since they won't let us folks use their bathrooms.

Anybody know Congressman Jones' AMEX card number??

Re: Currituck to fence off OBC's beacon #31490 02/12/05 10:33 AM
PFC Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Even The Daily Advance who are not exactly on OBC's side in this dispute had this to say about the fence:

Quote:
By proposing to erect this fence, however, Currituck has lost the high ground in the impasse over the lighthouse. Commissioners need to walk — make that run — away from this very bad idea.

Help Save Our Lighthouses!

Become a part of the
American Lighthouse Foundation
P.O. Box 565
Rockland, Maine 04841

207 594-4174

www.lighthousefoundation.org
Re: Currituck to fence off OBC's beacon #31491 02/12/05 11:52 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
"Currituck has lost the high ground."

Is this a joke? Currituck has been fighting from the lowest point forever. The "high ground" is legally owned by the OBC!

Re: Currituck to fence off OBC's beacon #31492 02/12/05 02:01 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
What a WHINY LITTLE BUNCH OF JERKS! (I don't ususally talk that way, as you all know, I save it for the times when I'm REALLY mad.) People, I have one word for you: GRANDFATHERED. It's what happens when someone DOES SOMETHING BEFORE YOU MAKE A LAW AGAINST IT. If they can't get it through thir THICK LITTLE SKULLS then they obviouly have brain damage.

What did these people LEARN in Law School? eek

There's nine people I'd love to have meet Mr. Jones VERY WELL:

• Ruth Bader Ginsburg
  • David Hackett Souter
  • Clarence Thomas
  • Stephen Breyer
  • Antonin Scalia
  • John Paul Stevens
  • William Hubbs Rehnquist
  • Sandra Day O'Connor
  • Anthony M. Kennedy

I think they would rather enjoy this situation.

mad mad mad

Re: Currituck to fence off OBC's beacon #31493 02/12/05 04:20 PM
Bob48 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I suppose the concept of the "spite fence" will never go out of use in the good old USA. I have no idea where the citizens of Currituck County stand on this issue, but if it were me, I would not appreciate the building of such a fence as a proper use of my tax monies. If, however, the citizens support the county, then OBC has some "fence mending" to do.

Bob, just plain Bob
Re: Currituck to fence off OBC's beacon #31494 02/12/05 09:48 PM
Dave H Online
Saint
Saint
Bob, the best guess would be that the residents of Currituck County don't have a clue. Based on their election results, the few that can read and write are too damn dumb to vote for an honest person. The rest apparently don't care how they blow their county treasury, probably believe the BS that was fed to them about the lighthouse being a "cash cow" - there were some folks out by the light trying to figure out how to milk the cash cow, so maybe the fence is to protect the stupid?

With al the absentee owners who probably pay the vast majority of property tax in the county and are still unable to vote there, the morons have full control (and I do apologize to those who honestly fit the classification of moron but don't live in Currituck County.) I'm thinking maybe a little FAE or a daisy cutter or two strategically deployed might help the situation......

Re: Currituck to fence off OBC's beacon #31495 02/12/05 11:57 PM
Weasel58 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Dave your FAEs and Daisy Cuuters are so passe. We need to break out MOAB !! Heck the US Air Force even claims it for use in 'psychological operations.'

Eric
Re: Currituck to fence off OBC's beacon #31496 02/13/05 01:34 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Ooh, ooh, I know! A reality show! We put them all in the Arctic Tundra, and whoever freezes into an ice cube last wins $1! laugh

Re: Currituck to fence off OBC's beacon #31497 02/13/05 01:54 PM
Brent Offline
Fences can be torn down, its the lawsuit that bothers me. I think its time for the State of North Carolina to step in take charge once and for all. If not, the Currituck County Commissioner's will continue to come up with their bag of dirty tricks until they have it "their" own way.
The state attorney general has already given his opinion, now its time to put some muscle behind it!

Brent
OBLHS Charter Member
Re: Currituck to fence off OBC's beacon #31498 02/15/05 10:23 AM
OP Offline
Here are two updates from this morning's papers:

It seems that the chairman of the whalehead preservation trust (whalehead club) even disagrees with the fence.

http://home.hamptonroads.com/stories/story.cfm?story=82164&ran=192767

http://www.dailyadvance.com/hp/content/news/stories/2005/02/15/20050215edawhalehead.html

Re: Currituck to fence off OBC's beacon #31499 02/15/05 11:59 AM
Cana Fan Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Can anyone tell me exactly what the Whalehead club is and why I would wan't to visit it? I was at the lighthouse, saw the sign for the Whalehead club and never gave it a second thought. It seems clear to me that the main draw to the area is the lighthouse. If people are forced to pass on the lighthouse I suspect they will also pass on the Whalehead club. Secondly, what's to keep people from parking at the Whalehead club and walking around the fence to the lighthouse? I suppose they'll have a staff of armed gaurds preventing just that.

You gotta hand it to these county morons, they are crafty!

Mike

Re: Currituck to fence off OBC's beacon #31500 02/15/05 12:24 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Whalehead Club
It's a big piece of property and "walking around the fence" might be quite a hike.

I'm wondering how long it will take for the County Forces to declare that Currituck violates current height restrictions and that the top 4/5ths of the lighthouse will need to be lopped off.

Re: Currituck to fence off OBC's beacon #31501 02/15/05 12:51 PM
Lighthouser Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Quote:
I'm wondering how long it will take for the County Forces to declare that Currituck violates current height restrictions and that the top 4/5ths of the lighthouse will need to be lopped off.
Gosh, John, don't give 'em any ideas!...joke! :rolleyes:

Judy

Judy
Re: Currituck to fence off OBC's beacon #31502 02/15/05 01:07 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Another point about the parking, rest room issues:

The rest room building is just across the street from the lighthouse and several hundred yards from the Whalehead Club. Anybody in need of going #1 or #2 will NOT want to make the long trek from the Whalehead Club to the bathrooms across the street from the lighthouse. (Of course there are other bathroom facilities within the Whalehead Club.)

The property for the Whalehead Club could probably park several thousand cars (not necessarily on paved parking spaces.)

I imagine the ratio of visitors to these two adjacent properties would be something like Whalehead Club 10%, Currituck Lighthouse 90%.

When the county thought they might get the lighthouse from the Department of the Interior, they were proposing to combine the two properties into one 'attraction.'

A recent news story indicated the County might be happy with a $1 'entrance fee' from those entering the lighthouse.

Probably 99.9% of those visiting Currituck Lighthouse arrive by private car.

I see nothing wrong with the county charging a per-vehicle parking fee that would also 'allow' use of the restrooms.

Heck if they want to get 'green' about it, they could add those coin-operated doors to the rest rooms. Kind of a "#1 + #2 surcharge" They could then re-cycle the visitor deposits to fertilize and water the grounds of the Whalehead Club.

Of course the County Commissioners and Rep. Walter Jones already are generating enough crap, so maybe that part of my plan won't be needed.

Are there any heads in North Carolina that include a 'voice of reason'? (Heads as in those attached to the neck, and usually containing a brain.)

Re: Currituck to fence off OBC's beacon #31503 02/15/05 03:38 PM
Lighthouser Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Quote:
Are there any heads in North Carolina that include a 'voice of reason'? (Heads as in those attached to the neck, and usually containing a brain.)
eek I sure hope you're just referring to the politicians!

Judy wink

Judy
Re: Currituck to fence off OBC's beacon #31504 02/16/05 01:49 AM
Bigbird Offline
Wacko
Wacko

Hey, that sounds like something Virginia Beach would do with their "sign and billboard" laws!! laugh

steve

Health through education, for a much misguided nation!!
Re: Currituck to fence off OBC's beacon #31505 02/19/05 11:20 AM
OP Offline
Here is an update to the situation. Looks like they are going through with the fence despite alot of complaints.

Currituck going ahead with fence next month

Re: Currituck to fence off OBC's beacon #31506 02/19/05 07:19 PM
fra02441 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I always get mad at people or groups who either make it hard to see a lighthouse (part of America's history)or even an impossability to see them. I hate fences it makes me want to travel with wire cutters.

Re: Currituck to fence off OBC's beacon #31507 02/19/05 08:35 PM
Zachary Offline
In the story, it states that OBC payed for part of the facilities at WHC, doesn't that mean anything?

Re: Currituck to fence off OBC's beacon #31508 02/19/05 10:20 PM
PFC Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
frown A Voice Heard Recently Coming From The Currituck Beach Lighthouse................. "DON'T FENCE ME IN" :rolleyes:

Help Save Our Lighthouses!

Become a part of the
American Lighthouse Foundation
P.O. Box 565
Rockland, Maine 04841

207 594-4174

www.lighthousefoundation.org
Re: Currituck to fence off OBC's beacon #31509 02/19/05 10:27 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
I've written to the writer of the articles on the Currituck situation with links to the CF thread and a bit about what is going on outside the local area.

Perhaps there will be a story coming out of this; perhaps not. If you would be willing to talk with a reporter about your feelings on this issue, let me know and provide your phone number and, if he contacts me, I'll pass it along.

webmaster@lighthousekeepers.com

Re: Currituck to fence off OBC's beacon #31510 02/19/05 10:45 PM
Dave H Online
Saint
Saint
That was an excellent article, Bryan. At this point it looks like:
• The Chamber of Commerce opposes the fence
• Most Corolla businesses appear to oppose the fence
• A number of citizens living on that side of the county appear to opposed the fence
• The one commissioner who has had the backbone to say this is wrong appears to still support of OBC.

Most interesting paragraph of the articl:
Quote:
What would the county have done if it had gained ownership of the lighthouse, Bowden asked the group. It would have amended its ordinances so that visitors to the lighthouse could use rest rooms and parking on the nearby Whalehead property, which the county owns, he said.
The fact that OBC paid for part of the restrooms is old news, and the commissioners couldn't care less.

Re: Currituck to fence off OBC's beacon #31511 02/20/05 03:59 PM
Zachary Offline
They say it's to protect the interests of the Parking Lot/Restrooms. The Whalehead Club doesn't want the fence, OBC doesn't want it, tourists of both attractions don't want it, businesses don't want it, the only ones who do want it are the ones who lost the lawsuit.
Interestingly enough that they decided to do this after they couldn't gain ownership to the property.

Re: Currituck to fence off OBC's beacon #31512 02/20/05 04:30 PM
MelJB Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I find it interesting that the county waited until just before the beginning of the "season" to announce this. mad Seems they are always making sure that they stir stuff up just in time in hopes of detering people from visiting the light. People are making their Spring and Summer plans, "Oh we better avoid the Currituck Lighthouse, there won't be any place to park or any facilites..."

These lowlifes really do know how to play dirty!
One would hope the Governor would do something if he gets enough complaints and fears that the entire state's tourism could suffer. I'm will be sending him my feelings on this matter.

I would hate to see tourism suffer because there are a lot of decent folks out there that depend on tourism for their livelyhood.

Melody
Re: Currituck to fence off OBC's beacon #31513 02/20/05 05:50 PM
Dave H Online
Saint
Saint
The point you make about causing trouble at the start of tourism season simply highlights the stupidity of the commissioners. They keep people from visiting their county they hurt not only OBC but also the very people they are supposed to represent (key word here is "supposed"). If it were possible to have a negative IQ, I think we have found the group that can boast of it!

Re: Currituck to fence off OBC's beacon #31514 02/20/05 10:57 PM
Lighthouser Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Don't ever want to hear of this happening, of course, but just wait until some tourist gets killed out on the highway, trying to walk from the lighthouse to the Whalehead Club or vice versa.

Remember the reason why the wild ponies got fenced in? Because so many kept getting killed by cars out on Rt.12.

Judy

Judy
Re: Currituck to fence off OBC's beacon #31515 02/20/05 10:59 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I really want to have a little conversation with Congressman Walter B. Jones. I want to tell him what a load of nonsense they are throwing out here.

It's really ridiculous what is going on here. But maybe the problem is that we're showing our feelings in the wrong places.

Yeah, it's great to let out steam here on the CF about how we think this whole situation is. But I think that there is a 1:10,000,000 chance that any of these Currituck County morons read the CF.

What we have to do is take it to the source. And I mean it this time. I know people post phone numbers and emails and snail mails all the time. But I think nobody even bothers to call anymore. Maybe that's our problem.

This is the most pivotal point in this entire fiasco. What we have to do is become real activists over the next couple months. "Wacko Coalition for OBC" kind of thing.

We can complain all we want here on the CF, and it's good to network our feelings, but in the long run, it will probably have no effect. What we have to do is take these feelings off these pages and into the Currituck County Commissioners' Snail-, Voice-, and e-mail boxes.

We have one month before this fence goes in. If nothing gets done, I see the cover story of the Outer Banks newspapers:

"GMC Yukon Plows Through Lighthouse Fence."

mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad (and more if we could put more than 8 smilies in a post)

Re: Currituck to fence off OBC's beacon #31516 02/20/05 11:16 PM
Dave H Online
Saint
Saint
Greg, one of the most powerful weapons in your arsenal is to ask your folks NOT to go to Corolla the next time you take a family vacation to the OBX, but to stay somewhere in Dare County. And ask any one else you know who rents a place in Corolla for a vacation to do the same. Most importantly, let the landlord know that it is because of the irresponsible actions of their county commissioners. Bottom line, hit them in the checkbook.

Go visit the lighthouse. Help wear out their roads. Just don't spend any money in the county. Go into a store and tell the owner how nice their merchandise is but you just can't bring yourself to purchase any because of the underhanded dealings of their dirtbag commissioners. Let the people of Currituck Clownty know that as a tourist you won't spend your money there. Eventually the negative impact will impact the idiots on the commision.

At this point it is the commissioners who are presenting the problems, not Jones (though he may be instigating behind the scenes).

Re: Currituck to fence off OBC's beacon #31517 02/21/05 12:04 AM
J
Jazzer Offline
J
"Clownty"..

Perfect Dave, just perfect laugh

Lonnie
Re: Currituck to fence off OBC's beacon #31518 02/21/05 12:08 AM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Sorry, not staying in Corolla is one thing I won't do. We have almost become residents of the Currituck Club three times a year. We know everybody, know exactly how to get around, and have the BEST house secured for the BEST rate Easter week.

Okay, so I can't help out by not staying in the county. But to tell you the truth, every summer, there is a rotating weekly population on the OBX of I think 200,000 people. Of those, several thousand are surely staying in Corolla. And those people are completely oblivious to all this.

Plus, if you don't spend your money in the county, you're hurting the businesses more than the county itself. It's bad enough owning a business on the OBX - you don't know how many of our favourite restaurants and shops have closed since we first went down in 2000.

The business owners are operating their life's dream, owning a business on the OBX. For many, it won't last long. I don't want to cut it short for them.

Think about it. I go to a candy shop in Corolla and buy a dollar's worth of salt water taffy. Of that dollar, most of it goes to the shop owner. A lot goes to the taffy company. Then a small fraction goes to the county.

Basically, I don't think we can make much of a stand boycotting all businesses in the county. We're outnumbered by the oblivious. And the fact that we would be hurting innocent businesses greatly, I think, is something that alone is pivotal.

We can make a much bigger difference by hounding these people with communication than boycotting their county. I don't see a reason to stop doing something I enjoy to make a stand, when I could continue doing it and make a much better stand in another way.

We need to get the phone, email, fax, and snail mail of Walter Jones and all the county commisionners, and we have to hound them. We can't ever get our message across with a few less people spending money in CC. We CAN make a difference if these people, when taken out of the proportion of a large pool of tourists, become a large number who can get pretty mad.

Just my thoughts...

Re: Currituck to fence off OBC's beacon #31519 02/21/05 02:52 AM
Dave H Online
Saint
Saint
Greg, when you become old enough to vote you will learn what a "constituent" is. If you ain't one they don't care. Especially if the elected official is a raving idiot as is the case in Currituck Clownty.

You have to hit them where it hurts - in the pocketbook. To do this you have to punish the residents and businesses in Currituck Clownty who allow these morons to control the county and fritter away their money. Very possibly the others who rent in the Corolla area are oblivious to what is happening in the world - educate them. When the residents and merchants are hurt enough they will remove the offenders from office. Takes time, and yes, some of those businesses are going to dry up and blow away. Life is cruel.

Believe me when I say every penny counts. Years ago I used to produce some regional events for a major national company. When we went into an area we had a formula of how much money woould come in to the county because of that event and how much impact each penny would have. As I recall, it was like eight fold - one cent spent by a tourist was respent 8 times by the people in the county. You tip the server, they buy gas and groceries and pay rent. The grocery store buys from a supplier and so on. Major impact from one lousy cent.

I won't even speculate on how much your family pours into the local economy during a week in Corolla, but trust me when I say it does have a major impact on the county. Because of this, you become part of the problem, not part of the solution.

Want to make better use of those funds? Rent some billboards just outside Currituck Clownty and place ads on them that in a very graphic way illustrate the problem and the abuse of position by the commissioners. Gee, make it a political cartoon and be sure to have your lawyers make sure you don't defame anyone of those poor innocent commisioners.

* * * End of Editorial Opinion / Rant * * *

Re: Currituck to fence off OBC's beacon #31520 02/23/05 10:22 AM
OP Offline
Found this this morning. It is a little dated. Figured I would pass it on...

Critics say fence serves no one well

Re: Currituck to fence off OBC's beacon #31521 02/26/05 01:30 PM
OP Offline
Here is something from todasy's paper

Currituck to sue OBC over lighthouse parking area

Re: Currituck to fence off OBC's beacon #31522 02/26/05 02:56 PM
Bob Ott Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Bryan,

Tried to get to your link. Got the message that is is unavailable.

bobo

Re: Currituck to fence off OBC's beacon #31523 02/26/05 03:00 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
WHAT?!?!?!??!?!??!

This is completely out of hand. The problem is, this is government - they have the unfortunate advantage. Which is unbelievably sad.

And, for some reason, I have a bad bad bad feeling that if the county were to win this lawsuit (which they will - it's their court), they're going to make the prize the transfer of ownership to the County of Currituck.

We really have to do something. As I've said, I'm starting a letter-writing campaign. I'm going to fire one off right now. This is enough.

I think they've started a war here, and don't realise that lighthousers are powerful in numbers.

mad x about 20 trillion.

Re: Currituck to fence off OBC's beacon #31524 02/26/05 04:25 PM
Bob Ott Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Bryan,

Finally was able to get the link to come up. Thank you for the information.

bobo

Re: Currituck to fence off OBC's beacon #31525 02/26/05 07:14 PM
Zachary Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by seagirt:

mad x about 20 trillion.
At this point, I think it's more like x 20Trillion

Re: Currituck to fence off OBC's beacon #31526 02/27/05 12:53 PM
Grover Offline
First,

Bryan, thanks so much for keeping us updated ... there is a novel to be written here when the final resolution is reached

A Couple of Thoughts ...

Does anyone think the Currituck Superior Court might represent a conflict of interest? On the surface it seems merely a compliance issue but, more to the point, the benefactor of a pro-county ruling is the county themselves, not a third party. The court couldn't sidestep the appearance of bias, good people though they might be. Another court, it would seem, would have to hear this ...

If it were to be moved to a state court, how interesting would it be to watch them try and balance local issues and federal programs? Would you want to be the judge who writes the opinion contravening either?

Taking everything reported at face value, how damaging is it to the OBC cause to know they have abutting property that could have avoided so much of this conflict? Could grants have been obtained to rectify parking and comply with the UDO's? ... How would a court view this? If none of the prior agreements with the CCC are formalized, I would think that revelation isnt going to sit well.

If the aim of the county is to "reclaim" the lighthouse, what makes them think they are the rightful inheritors? They scored so poorly in the original transfer procedure. If the unthinkable extreme occurred and the deed was revoked, why wouldn't the government restart the process from the beginning? How would the county feel about possibly losing the lighthouse twice?

Greg, as Dave said, its one thing to talk ... another to take action ... letters go only so far, especially non-vested out-of-state letters. We've vacationed in Corolla ... we've vacationed in South Nags Head ... You be the politician and convince your parents why their dollars are better spent elsewhere along the OBX ... The Duck Deli is in Dare, isn't it?

I concur with just about all of John's missive regarding a "per car potty tax fee." I've been to the lighthouse maybe half a dozen times and have never had the urge to see the Whalehead Club up close, though it does lend to some excellent photographs from out on the sound side. John presented a fair resolution except if your goal is all or nothing.

The only good news I see from the court filing is now the fence most likely will not be built. Courts tend to move snail-like. I'm sure, should the OBC want to make this a legal fight, they can slow the process even more. I would think, at the very least, this season will be safe.

But then again ...

Barry

"Wisdom and Strength are NOT opposing values"
Re: Currituck to fence off OBC's beacon #31527 02/27/05 04:11 PM
Lighthouser Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Quote:
Taking everything reported at face value, how damaging is it to the OBC cause to know they have abutting property that could have avoided so much of this conflict?
Keep in mind , folks, that the OBC,Inc.'s position on this all along is they are grandfathered and do not need to comply to the county's UDO's.

This, I believe, is also the position of the Attorney general of the state of North Carolina.

Why should OBC convert land to parking space, which was purchased for other reasons, if they don't have to?

This is only a long string of threatening tactics by the CC commissioners to steal the lighthouse, that they couldn't win in the first place, but promised their constituents they would, no matter what.

I do not believe the total of OBC's side of the story has been published by the media.

OBC, Inc, obviously having a higher collective IQ than the CC commissioners, are more tight-lipped regarding their strategy.

Judy

Judy
Re: Currituck to fence off OBC's beacon #31528 02/27/05 05:48 PM
Grover Offline
Judy,

First, please don't ever forget we are all on the side of the OBC ...

However, let me throw this out ... all the reactions here and on LH.net ... how much of our indignation was formulated by the information we had ... and how much of the State AG's opinion was formulated by the very same information ...

I'm no lawyer, although next to doctor that would have pleased mom greatly, but I think the legal principle is what is "reasonable" ...

To me, what constituted reasonable is what was in existence prior to the conveyance, what we all felt was being taken away by the CCC from the OBC ... and perhaps this is how the State AG formulated his opinion as well.

Does the concept of what is reasonable now change with the new knowledge? Does a private entity, shown to have the means to rectify the problem without encroaching on county and/or state property, is that now the standard on which to judge the merits? I don't know.

I do know that I don't think the Superior Court of Currituck is the body who should be sitting in judgement on these issues.

I do know that I was dismayed to hear of the land ownership in this manner ... not for any other reason than it was the "other guys" who revealed it, giving the perception that the OBC was hiding that fact. I'm not a believer in flagging legal strategy ahead of time but I have to believe that the "tight lipped" appraoch may not have been the way to go here.

Barry

"Wisdom and Strength are NOT opposing values"
Re: Currituck to fence off OBC's beacon #31529 02/27/05 05:51 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I would really like to ask something of everyone here. Recently, I have had several people tell me that my family should not vacation in Corolla, due to the fact that percentages of the money we spend there goes to Currituck County.

I want to let you all know that we are going to continue to stay in Corolla long into the future. However, I would like to explain my feelings toward this once, and then have the subject be dropped permanently.

My family has been vacationing in The Currituck Club, a subdivision in Corolla, since 2000. We have spent 12 weeks in the community since that time, with reservations at this moment for two more - over Easter and in the summer.

Over this time, we have come to know many members of the community. At TCC, there are many people who live in the community year-round, probably a higher percentage than most others on the OBX. We know the golf people, the sales people, the fitness centre people, the neighbours, the shopkeepers, etc. We have built a sense of community while on vacation.

We also have several houses that we rent often, and love. This summer will be our fifth in our "summer house". Perhaps some of you, in your or your childrens' childhoods, had the same situation, where you always went to the same beach house every year, and wouldn't think of going to another.

As you can see, we really like staying in Corolla. And yes, we spend a lot of money in the county. However, I also feel strongly against the "no money" plan because of those people who we have become friends with along the way.

Being a business owner on the Outer Banks is difficult. Buisiness is great in the summer, but the other 9 months of the year, not so much. Many great stores and restaurants have left, and are missed.

When you spend money in Currituck County, a lot of it goes to the shopkeeper. And, even if as Dave said earlier, it gets cycled around the county, it gets cycled around more local businesses. It's a vicious cycle.

The ratio of Wackos or equal-caliber lighthouse lovers to regular tourists to Corolla is greatly in favour of the latter. Also, the "no money" theory only works when a lighthouse lover is on the Outer Banks. When you take that small percentage of that small end of that ratio, it pretty much doesn't make a difference.

That money that we aren't spending doesn't just hurt Currituck County. It hurts the restaurants and stores that we love. It hurts the farmers on the mainland, who already are not as well off as those on the Banks. It hurts everyone.

One day, we hope to own land in Corolla, and maybe even build a house on it. We don't care that it's in Currituck County. It's the town and the people that are the reason.

I would like this to be the end on this subject, and would like no rebuttals to this post. We have much more important things to do than argue over this.

Re: Currituck to fence off OBC's beacon #31530 02/27/05 07:45 PM
Lighthouser Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
This was not a shocking revelation, Barry, nor was it information that OBC was trying to hide.

But newspapers as we all well know, have a way of reporting to make things sound the way they want it too, because it makes good reading.

We knew that land had been purchased to construct a home for the keepers/site managers who have been living in the historical Keepers Quarters. There is a HOUSE being constructed there...pretty hard to miss.

We knew that there was excess land owned by OBC that is wetlands, and hence can not be built on, not even for a parking lot.

These land transfers are also a matter of public record...not something hidden under the table.

And per John Wilson's quoted statement from the above most recent article in the Daily Advance, we read...
Quote:
OBC member John Wilson Jr., confirmed Thursday that his nonprofit organization does own the aforementioned properties and they were bought to protect the lighthouse site from residential encroachment. He added that the 10-acre property was also purchased to preserve the wetlands.

Wilson said both properties are zoned residential and there is a home currently being constructed on the Carotank lot to house the lighthouse's site manager. He added that at no time did the county ever request OBC to build parking or restrooms on those properties or the state-owned property.
So why would the "revelations" printed in this newspaper article, shock or alarm us?

Doesn't have a thing to do with being tight-lipped or even, secretive.

Judy

Judy
Re: Currituck to fence off OBC's beacon #31531 02/27/05 07:58 PM
Lighthouser Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Quote:
I would like this to be the end on this subject, and would like no rebuttals to this post. We have much more important things to do than argue over this.
Greg, you can call this a rebuttal if you want. Hey, everyone has a right to his or her opinion, which you've given.

No one is arguing with you, only stating opinions.

Corolla is your family's "comfort zone" on OBX. Doesn't mean you wouldn't or couldn't find another area you would enjoy just as much. Corolla is not the only "elite" area of OBX either.

You have the right to stay wherever you want.

Judy

Judy
Re: Currituck to fence off OBC's beacon #31532 02/27/05 08:30 PM
Bob Ott Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Judy, Barry, Dave, Melody, John, Mike, Bryan, Brent

Y’all did such a marvelous job of following the childish antics by the board of commissioners in Currituck County that it’s impossible for me to enter anything new or more elaborate than what you have already written. It would almost be worth it to move down there just so that I could vote those Neanderthals out of office.

bobo

Re: Currituck to fence off OBC's beacon #31533 03/02/05 10:21 AM
OP Offline
From today's paper:

Currituck sues OBC, state agency

Currituck sues OBC over beacon facilities

Interestingly, the N.C. Department of Cultural Resources is also named in lawsuit.

Re: Currituck to fence off OBC's beacon #31534 03/02/05 06:22 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I think I have found some loopholes. I'm no lawyer, so I'm not sure, but I may have.

If so, Currituck County has just proved themselves wrong within the pages of their very own website. laugh laugh laugh

Okay...I'm looking at the County ordinances on www.co.currituck.nc.us. I click on "General Provisions". I click on "Sec. 1-10. Certain ordinances and resolutions not affected by Code." I scroll down. Here are a few pulls.

"Nothing in this Code or an ordinance adopting this Code shall be construed to repeal or otherwise affect the validity of any of the following ordinances which are not included in this Code."

(4) Any ordinance or resolution approving, authorizing or otherwise relating to any contract, agreement, lease, deed or other instrument; (isn't this related to the deed?)

(11) Any ordinance or resolution designating historic property; (I think that this includes CBL, it's registered, right?)

(10) Any zoning ordinance, including any zoning map amendment; or any ordinance approving any subdivision plat; or any ordinance not inconsistent herewith regulating the subdividing of real property; (have no idea what it means, but it looks like it has something to do with zoning that is to our advantage)

And I think this might mean something, too.

Sec. 1-12. Code and new ordinances do not affect prior offenses, rights.
(a) Nothing in this Code or an ordinance adopting this Code shall affect any offense or act committed or done; any penalty or forfeiture incurred; any contract or right established or accruing; any prosecution, suit or proceeding pending; or any judgment rendered, before the effective date of this Code.
(b) No new ordinance shall be construed to repeal a former ordinance as to any offense committed against the former ordinance; as to any act done; any penalty, forfeiture or punishment incurred; any right accrued or claim arising under the former ordinance; or in any way whatever to affect any such offense or act so committed or done; any penalty, forfeiture or punishment so incurred; or any right accrued or claim arising before the new ordinance takes effect, save only that the proceedings thereafter had shall conform, so far as practicable, to the ordinance in force at the time of such proceedings.
State law references: Similar provisions applicable to state statutes, G.S. 153A-2, 164-3 et seq.

Now, I'm not a lawyer, so none of this might be helpful. I'm still looking around the ordinances (so THAT'S how they number the houses!), so I'll see if I can find anything else. Oh yes, and so far, no zoning (though I probably havn't gotten to it yet).

I encourage all of you, especially those of you with some kind of legal knowledge, to check out the Currituck County Ordinances Page at:

http://www.co.currituck.nc.us/government/ordinances/

{{{Evil laugh}}}

Re: Currituck to fence off OBC's beacon #31535 07/27/05 05:26 PM
J
J.H. Snowden, III Offline
J
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave H:
Can you say "bunch of flaming jackasses"?? I hope that OBC marches down to Federal Court and sues that bunch of irresponsible, power abusing, money wasting scum bags that the morons of Currituck County allow to represent them. I think many of us would be willing to put a few bucks into an OBC "sue the scumbags" fund.
Not all citizens of Currituck are "morons" wink

And not all of aforesaid "morons" support the Board of Commissioners in their recent inquisition against OBC.

Think about what you write before you lump us all together. If you do that I'll refrain from lumping all vacationers into the category of "maniacs", just because a few of you drive like one wink

Reminds me of the bumper sticker:
"If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot 'em?"

/J
--
J.H. Snowden, III
Publisher / Editor - The Independent
Serving Currituck, Camden & Northeastern NC
www.nencnew.com

Re: Currituck to fence off OBC's beacon #31536 07/27/05 05:51 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Well Mr Snowden thanks for chiming in with your opinion of some opinion's expressed here.

Now other than calling a name caller a name do you have anything to add to the discussion that is constructive?

What is your position as a member of both the community and of the Press?

Which side do you think is correct? Do you think that the elected representatives of your community are serving the interests of the community well in this instance?

Inquiring minds would like to hear what you have to say- and I promise I won't lump you in with others until you show where you stand on this particular issue.

You can even contact me directly if you don't wish to continue this here on a fairly open forum.

Look forward to your response.

Thank you,

Dennis Whelan

(plan on being one of those tourists luckily out of season next March laugh )

Re: Currituck to fence off OBC's beacon #31537 07/27/05 06:51 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Mr. Snowden (What's the J stand for?) -

As a frequent (3x/year) vacationer to Corolla, I have followed this story closely. One thing that I have not heard much of is the views of those residents of Currituck County.

I did some Googling and research (about 5 minutes worth) on you after reading your post. According to this page , you seem to have created the "Save Our Light" page, which I remembered as being the "pro-CBL for CC" page, a memory confirmed thanks to archive.org's WayBack Machine, which stores caches of websites. ( WayBack Page ). Thus, it's not that difficult to figure out where your alliances are.

I am not going to judge you yet based on your opinion, as it is one you are 110% entitled to, regardless of what mine and many of the other members of this forum's are. I would like to ask that the other members also withhold "judgement without proof". But I am curious as to why you feel so strongly towards your POV.

Please, share more about yourself. We're all interested. But don't share anything unless your comments are constructive and intellectual. We don't like getting in big e-brawls here.

Re: Currituck to fence off OBC's beacon #31538 07/27/05 07:35 PM
Dave H Online
Saint
Saint
Mr. Snowden,

The citizens of Currituck County have allowed the commissioners to stay in office. I would hope that those who do not agree with the sleazy and underhanded attempts by their elected government would mount a recall effort or work to elect a group of responsible people to run and represent the county. What appears to be the situation is a worst case scenario of a group of out-of-control yahoos on a vendetta attempting to steal the lighthouse which was awarded to OBC.

The supposedly upstanding elected officials have wasted countless of my US tax dollars causing audits of audits and investigations of investigations and every other underhanded trick they can think of. They have blown large amounts of local tax dollars that could have actually benefitted the citizens in their various persecution efforts. The leadership of Currituck County failed miserably in caring for previous historic property entrusted to them by the federal government. I'm sure this contributed to the very low score the county received when its bid was considered by DOI.

For all the years that OBC worked tirelessly to preserve the light, one that the county totally ignored, everyone thought they were great. When they are recognized for the fine job they have done and awarded ownership of the light to continue caring for, they become outside agitators? Perhaps this mentality is pervasive in your county -
Quote:
Reminds me of the bumper sticker:
"If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot 'em?"
You want me to come visit your county and bring my tourist dollars to spend at your merchants, but you really don't welcome outsiders. Can't have it both ways.

Re: Currituck to fence off OBC's beacon #31539 07/27/05 10:55 PM
Bob Ott Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Butt Head,

You can't have it both ways,

bobo

Re: Currituck to fence off OBC's beacon #31540 07/27/05 11:21 PM
J
J
Quote:
Originally posted by wheland:
Well Mr Snowden thanks for chiming in with your opinion of some opinion's expressed here.

Now other than calling a name caller a name do you have anything to add to the discussion that is constructive?

What is your position as a member of both the community and of the Press?

Which side do you think is correct? Do you think that the elected representatives of your community are serving the interests of the community well in this instance?

Inquiring minds would like to hear what you have to say- and I promise I won't lump you in with others until you show where you stand on this particular issue.

You can even contact me directly if you don't wish to continue this here on a fairly open forum.

Look forward to your response.

Thank you,

Dennis Whelan

(plan on being one of those tourists luckily out of season next March laugh )
Actually, Mr. Whelan, I did not call a name caller a name.

I did take issue with the gentleman displaying his ignorance by lumping all Currituck residents into a single group.

And as for this gentleman:

Quote:
Originally posted by JChidester:
Makes me want to ship those Currituck County folks a few bags of pig manure since they won't let us folks use their bathrooms.
I've felt that way over the vacationers who allow their dogs to take a dump on someone's front yard. Perhaps I should bag it up and send it back to them wink

My position on the lighthouse is very clear:

1) I supported the county efforts at acquisition of the lighthouse. The process as laid out in the Lighthouse Preservation Act was clear and straightforward, and the county would not have been serving the interests of the taxpayers of the county if they had not submitted an application.

I even went so far as to help them design a website to communicate their purpose.

I'm assuming you read the quote I gave The Independent Weekly:

"At that point we diverged from the county," says John Snowden, III, publisher of The Currituck Independent and owner of the "Save our Light" Web site. "After the OBC proved to be accountable by the Coast Guard, it seems like the county had backed themselves into a corner and there was no way for them to admit defeat. I think local politics has spawned all this."

2) My support went south after the process played out, and OBC was awarded ownership. They won fair and square, no questions.

Here is where I diverge from the opinions of those in county govt. The commissioners are acting like a bunch of kids who lost a game of backyard football and can't admit they lost. I wrote this in an editorial in my newspaper, The Independent.

And it is my honest belief that the average citizen in Currituck is tired of this squabble and would just as soon see their tax dollars going to more worthwhile projects, rather than pad the pockets of attorneys.

I've stated this publicly, before the commissioners at their meetings, and I have felt their retribution for stating my position.

As far as my post here, I just found it really humorous that you guys (and gals) are out here lambasting the whole of Currituck County because 4 elected officials are acting like a bunch of babies.

/J (that stands for John by the way)

Re: Currituck to fence off OBC's beacon #31541 07/27/05 11:36 PM
J
J
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave H:
[QB] Mr. Snowden,

The citizens of Currituck County have allowed the commissioners to stay in office. I would hope that those who do not agree with the sleazy and underhanded attempts by their elected government would mount a recall effort or work to elect a group of responsible...{/QB]
Dave H,

I hate to disappoint you, but there is no such thing as a recall in North Carolina.

If you would like to complain, here is the address of those to whom you can write:

Phone: 252-232-2075
Fax: 252-232-3551
Daniel F. Scanlon, II
County Manager
Extension: 223
E-mail: dscanlon@co.currituck.nc.us

Diane C. Sawyer, Director
P.O. Box 39
Currituck, NC 27929
Phone: 252-232-0719
Fax: 252-232-3551
E-mail: dsawyer@co.currituck.nc.us
(Ms Sawyer is also the director Travel & Tourism)

If you would like to read my POV on the fence, here's a link to the editorial which I wrote on the subject:

http://www.ndelible.com/archive/independent/2005/v04n07/p04.pdf

After you read that you can apologize for jumping to conclusions.

The J is for John, if you had read all of the Indy Weekly article you would have known that.

/J

Re: Currituck to fence off OBC's beacon #31542 07/28/05 12:32 AM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
[Actually, Mr. Whelan, I did not call a name caller a name.

I did take issue with the gentleman displaying his ignorance by lumping all Currituck residents into a single group.

"Technically you are correct but the manner in which you wrote your statement along with linking it to the comment about shooting Tourists in season has the same effect in my view.

Using the same standard for both your comments and the comment you were speaking about Mr Hannum did not say all residents of Currituck were morons- only those who kept the governmental officials in power were."

And as for this gentleman:

Quote:
Originally posted by JChidester:
I've felt that way over the vacationers who allow their dogs to take a dump on someone's front yard. Perhaps I should bag it up and send it back to them wink

"This statement above is similar- you don't call a person a name but the linkage is there again- you are not being complimentary in your commentary there- the same thing you are complaining about from others.

I do thank you for expounding on your position and I commend you for your decision to abide by the fair decisions made about who should control the Lighthouse. It is definitely not the position of a moron, it's an intelligent position ."

My position on the lighthouse is very clear:

1) I supported the county efforts at acquisition of the lighthouse. The process as laid out in the Lighthouse Preservation Act was clear and straightforward, and the county would not have been serving the interests of the taxpayers of the county if they had not submitted an application.

I even went so far as to help them design a website to communicate their purpose.

"Now this next part is troublesome on two counts-1. If I had read your quote I would not have had to ask you your position

2. there's an old saying about assuming things which I won't elaborate on but you have probably heard it before."

I'm assuming you read the quote I gave The Independent Weekly:

"At that point we diverged from the county," says John Snowden, III, publisher of The Currituck Independent and owner of the "Save our Light" Web site. "After the OBC proved to be accountable by the Coast Guard, it seems like the county had backed themselves into a corner and there was no way for them to admit defeat. I think local politics has spawned all this."

2) My support went south after the process played out, and OBC was awarded ownership. They won fair and square, no questions.

Here is where I diverge from the opinions of those in county govt. The commissioners are acting like a bunch of kids who lost a game of backyard football and can't admit they lost. I wrote this in an editorial in my newspaper, The Independent.

And it is my honest belief that the average citizen in Currituck is tired of this squabble and would just as soon see their tax dollars going to more worthwhile projects, rather than pad the pockets of attorneys.

I've stated this publicly, before the commissioners at their meetings, and I have felt their retribution for stating my position.

As far as my post here, I just found it really humorous that you guys (and gals) are out here lambasting the whole of Currituck County because 4 elected officials are acting like a bunch of babies.

/J (that stands for John by the way) [/QB][/QUOTE]

We are lambasting the County because while it most certainly is not the whole county standing in the way of a fair decision those with the power are and ther has seemed to be little outcry from the citizens and business people about what their elected officials are continuing to do in their name.

I again thank you for giving us the benefit of reading here what your position is. I understand how you might be upset by some of the comments made here but they were made in response to the idiocy that has taken place over something that should have been settled long ago.

I do not agree with the tenor of some of the comments made here myself- they only tend to enflame the isssue and solve nothing. I don't disagree with their intent or message just the manner in which they have been expressed.

Thnak you also for the link to the article about the fence- although without you telling me it was written by you I would not ahve known that since it does not have a byline on it.

Feel free to stick around we're usually cordial to visitors here.

Dennis

Re: Currituck to fence off OBC's beacon #31543 07/28/05 12:41 AM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
So sorry for my stupid comments - I was a little confused by some of the quotes, etc. I had found. Now that I understand, I retract anything misspoken I said - basically that entire post. shocked

BTW...we're going to Corolla in August. I'd like to pick up a copy of your paper while there. I like to read the local papers (North Beach Sun, OB Sentinel, etc.) when I'm down there. smile

Re: Currituck to fence off OBC's beacon #31544 07/28/05 02:44 AM
Dave H Online
Saint
Saint
John,

I do applaud you for your change of position and for your current opposition to the efforts of the county commissioners. It takes courage for someone to do this and face the wrath of the county. I would hope that you will eventually be successful in encouraging your fellow residents to oust your elected leadership. While you may not have the benefit of recall, you do have the power of the vote. Every vote for your current commissioners is an endorsement of their continuing underhanded dealings.

I wish you luck in your efforts to resolve the issue.

Re: Currituck to fence off OBC's beacon #31545 07/28/05 10:25 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Welcome John. It is refreshing and valuable to have the opinions of a member of the independent press from the OBX. Thanks for jumping in and coming back to this Forum.

Obviously, this group of members are supporters of lighthouses and we're greatly prejudiced against those who would block access to or threaten the ownership of a national treasure such as Currituck Beach Light.

We have been following this story for several years now and have been handicapped by not having a 'local perspective' which you are bringing here. I hope you will continue to participate and give us that insight and in return, I imagine we'll be able to turn down our rhetoric a notch or two.

BTW, I'm the guy who suggested shipping the pig manure to Currituck County. I'm also the guy who said perhaps the County will rule that the lighthouse is 'too tall' under the UDC and must be shortened. (Tongue in cheek, of course.)

From across the country (literally and figuratively), lighthouse enthusiasts give great credit to what the Outer Banks Conservationists (OBC) did by rescuing Currituck Beach, restoring it and operating it under an agreement with the USCG.

It seems (from here), that the fact that OBC is based in Dare County is one of the primary reasons that Currituck County Commissioners have fought to gain control of the lighthouse. Is this correct? Had the private OBC been founded in Currituck County and been made up of Currituck County residents, would Currituck County Commissioners have been so agressive at seeking control?

I read your editorial on the fence and applaud it.

I was not aware there is no recall in NC.

Having visited the OBX in the past, I was struck by the contrast between the area around Currituck Beach (Corolla) and Nags Head.

The 'feeling' one gets is that there is a 'night-and-day' difference. Perhaps those who live and/or own proerty in the Currituck County portion of the OBX fear that more tourists heading for Currituck Lighthouse will turn their quieter area into something resembling the 'strip' down south.

And in following the news from afar, we see the actions by Rep. Walter Jones and the County Commissioners of Currituck as just a never-ending series of spiteful roadblocks. "If we can't play ball, I'm taking away my bat-and-ball." (Or I'm going to put a fence around the ball park that you own.)

Part of our frustration here is that we couldn't make anything happen, so we rant and rave. And we react with disbelief each time some new roadblock (literal) seems to prevent OBC from carrying out their mandate that comes with ownership.

It would seem to us that a cooperative spirit between Currituck County and OBC would best serve both. The Heritage site clearly is the winner if the lighthouse across the way draws 4 times the number of visitors. A joint entrance ticket that provides parking and unfettered access to rest rooms seems so logical. When it doesn't transpire, we wonder whether there is any logic left within the leadership of the County.

Again, thanks for providing us with the 'local perspective.' Please do stick around.

I noted just below your editorial was this statement in your paper:
Quote:
THE INDEPENDENT encourages all citizens of Camden & Currituck Counties to take an active role in their community, state and federal governments. The only way to promote change is to contact the elected leaders who represent you and let your voice be heard!
Amen, brother John, amen. Let calm and reason prevail.

John Chidester

Moderated by  PFC 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Dave H), 1,324 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users