Print Thread
Harbour Town Lighthouse for sale #31462 07/03/03 10:59 AM
Chesapeake Bryan Offline OP
OP Offline

Re: Harbour Town Lighthouse for sale #31463 07/03/03 12:00 PM
Lighthouser Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
This sale is going by sealed bid...with no minimum.

Very interesting. Any time I've been there...at any time of the year...the area feels like "wall-to-wall" people...and the golf tournament rakes 'em in too.

Yep...Interesting!

Judy

Judy
Re: Harbour Town Lighthouse for sale #31464 07/03/03 12:56 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
...The property is being sold by sealed bid and buyers will have to beat an undisclosed minimum...
I wonder if owning the lighthouse and the surrounding commercial property would entitle the owner to receive the royalties Sea Pines charges for replicas of the Harbor Town "Lighthouse"?

Remember also that if you are not a property owner at Sea Pines, you pay an admission fee to visit the Harbor Town commercial area and ANOTHER fee to walk through the lighthouse.

Re: Harbour Town Lighthouse for sale #31465 07/03/03 07:17 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
This may go down as one of those lighthouses I will never see, as I refuse to pay those bums to see a faux light. They certainly can't be in need of the extra money from the fees they hose you with. Maybe we should start a fund to buy the property, then move the faux light up to Mombo's place with the HL yacht. Put a nice little bar in the light, with Sue as the proprieter. Well, on second thought, could we then afford the bar bill?

Saint Agitator

Re: Harbour Town Lighthouse for sale #31466 07/04/03 02:23 AM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Sounds good Dave, then I could charge admission (to pay for the beer) but Wackos of course would get in free if they wear their badges! smile

Re: Harbour Town Lighthouse for sale #31467 07/04/03 03:18 AM
Lighthouser Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
From The Lighthouse Friends site...
Quote:
Although purists might not consider this modern building an authentic lighthouse, it is listed on navigational charts, and its white flash with a period of two and a half seconds can be seen at a distance of fifteen miles. Part of the admission proceeds is donated to the Lighthouse Preservation Society. This fact, coupled with the historical lighthouse accounts found in the tower, links this modern lighthouse to its more aged siblings.
http://www.lighthousefriends.com/light.asp?ID=330

Judy smile

Judy
Re: Harbour Town Lighthouse for sale #31468 07/07/03 08:55 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Judy,

This can't be considered a real (legitimate) light just because it is shown on navigational charts. Its primary purpose in life is to be the "symbol" of Harbourtown and to serve as a gift shop. I wonder what "lighthouse preservation society" receives the funds from admission? It may have connections to the past, but it is still a faux light controlled by greedy people (imho).

Dave

Re: Harbour Town Lighthouse for sale #31469 07/07/03 09:29 PM
Lighthouser Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Well Dave, all I can tell you is it's stated on their signs and written material at the lighthouse that part of the ($1.00/person) proceeds go to The Preservation Society. I know nothing about the group other than it exists. It is based in Newburyport, Massachusetts and has a web site at http://www.maine.com/lights/lps.htm

Then, there's the fact that Harbour Lights has chosen to make a replica of Sea Pines (Harbour Town) at least four times to my knowledge:

LE136
415 Glow
LL104
& it was one of the lighthouses featured in the 1998 Spyglass Southern Belles Collection.

So I guess Harbour Lights must see it as a worthy light. You might ask HL why they've made so many replicas of this light.

Judy

Judy
Re: Harbour Town Lighthouse for sale #31470 07/08/03 12:31 AM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Isn't that the group the we discussed some time back and some questioned their performance?

Re: Harbour Town Lighthouse for sale #31471 07/08/03 01:34 AM
Lighthouser Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Sue...I've only heard the name tossed around. There's a list of accomplishments on the web page...but it doesn't list any contacts.

Does anyone here know WHO they are, or know anyone connected with them?

When you had a discussion before about the group, were you able to locate anything about them?

Harbor Town is not the first place I've seen 'em mentioned, but I can't remember where else.

Judy

Judy
Re: Harbour Town Lighthouse for sale #31472 07/08/03 01:46 AM
MelJB Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
We did discuss the Lighthouse Preservation Society before. It was in a topic from May 2002.

Here is the link:
http://www.lighthousekeepers.com/cgi-bin/forumscgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=001216

Melody
Re: Harbour Town Lighthouse for sale #31473 07/08/03 01:51 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Judy,

HL makes Sea Pines because there are a bunch of well-to-do people there that buy the GLOW. Little Lights are being made of lots and lots of lights, well known and otherwise so that isn't a surprise. The Spyglass was made solely based on the fact that they had, for whatever reason, chosen to make it as one of the Southern Belles (I guess there always has to be the ugly step-sister. . . . .) Bottom line is, regardless of the fact that HL chose to produce it, Sea Pines is a faux light owned by greedy people.

The Lighthouse Preservation group is the group that no one seems to know about. As much as it pains me to agree with Sue, there was something a little while back about one of the national groups challenging the legitimacy of this group. Can't remember if it was ALF or USLHS that brought up the issue, but it was an editorial in one of the publications that surfaced the issue. As I recall, the basis was that this group claimed a lot of accomplishments that actually belonged, in whole or part, to other groups. And, that they apparently had been very dormant for quite a while. (Maybe they just don't get enough funding from the greedy people at Sea Pines [tic]).

Dave

Re: Harbour Town Lighthouse for sale #31474 07/08/03 01:57 AM
MelJB Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Dave, we must have been posting replies at the same time. See my reply directly before your's with the link to the previous topic about Lighthouse Preservation Society from May 2002. There was an article in the 'Keepers Log' about them that wasn't very flattering.

Melody
Re: Harbour Town Lighthouse for sale #31475 07/08/03 03:54 AM
Lighthouser Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
According to the developer, ten percent of the $1 admission fee, children five and under free, was to be divided amongst five groups: Sea Pines Forest Preserve/Museum, Lighthouse Preservation Society, Deep Well, the Hilton Head Museum and the Heritage Classic Foundation. The remainer would go for upkeep of the lighthouse.

So whoever the Preservation Society is...they have been getting a small piece of a small pie. (Now who they are...and what they do with the money that comes into them remains in question)

As for Harbour Lights, I own the limited edition HL136 which was retired in December of '94, not the GLOW, and I didn't purchase it at Harbour Town. I doubt that I'm the only HL collector who owns one, or HL wouldn't have gone on to add it to four other lines. I also own the Southern Belles...and there are many wonderful lights in the south that HL could have chosen for their fifth belle besides Sea Pines.

Granted, Sea Pines is not a historical lighthouse, but it is operational and it exists on Coast Guard maps. Doesn't mean one has to spend a buck to climb it.

The most important function the lighthouse serves in my eyes is this... If you happen to be there and hear only once, a child's excitement of discovery...then the lighthouse..."faux" or not, serves a positive purpose.

Btw...there is a real historical lighthouse on Hilton Head...the Rear Lighthouse Range Light Station. It still exists today only because another one of the "greedy" developers of Hilton Head, Greenwood Development Corp., parent company of Palmetto Dunes, restored it.

Judy

Judy

Moderated by  PFC 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,980
Posts184,642
Members2,583
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,178 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
coloradolights, PortageRivrLight, DenizensofDeep, Rtubbs, SafeHarbor
2583 Registered Users