cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Maryland Challenge this weekend..... #31372 09/12/03 06:03 PM
Larry Offline OP
OP Offline
...bring your rain coat and goloshes. It's raining now and it's in the forcast all weekend. Sorry. frown frown frown

And, I'm no weather forcaster....but they are forcasting that Isabel could hit the US by next Wednesday. I fear that she'll move up the coast and rain all over the Regional.

Re: Maryland Challenge this weekend..... #31373 09/13/03 09:56 AM
Lighthouse Joe Offline
We were all set to go, then last weekend I broke my collar bone surfing. I won't be going anywhere this weekend or next. Well, there is always next year... and NJLHC next month!

Lighthouse Joe

Re: Maryland Challenge this weekend..... #31374 09/13/03 01:38 PM
eskilady Offline
Well, I hope that those who go will post and tell those who couldn't how it went. I am disappointed that I couldn't go but things happens.

Eskilady

Eskilady
Re: Maryland Challenge this weekend..... #31375 09/13/03 03:09 PM
Larry Offline OP
OP Offline
You probably wouldn't have been disappointed if you were slogging up to Turkey POint in the torrential rain this morning.

We were actually very happy that we decided last week not to do it this year. Maybe we're just not as die-hard as we thought.

Re: Maryland Challenge this weekend..... #31376 09/14/03 12:02 AM
Chesapeake Bryan Offline
Not much rain in the Ft. Washington area where I was all day volunteering. There was a little drizzle early in the morning, but by noon time we had blue cloudy skies.

Re: Maryland Challenge this weekend..... #31377 09/14/03 12:22 AM
Larry Offline OP
OP Offline
Maybe it was just northeastern MD then. Good.

Tomorrow's forcast says rain, but the radar map looks pretty clear.

Re: Maryland Challenge this weekend..... #31378 09/14/03 01:17 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
We were at Fort Washington bright & early in the drizzle at 0800. Said "hi" to Bryan and headed for Piney Point. Rained pretty good most of the way there. Another of our Wacko group was helping there (Joyce if I remember right). They had to lay out an alternate route to the tower due to flooding. Tower was also open for climbing - either 2nd time this year or ever, can't remember which. Also saw Shirin doing the tour. Skies were starting to clear up, even had some blue.

Next stop Point Lookout where Wacko Robert Gurskey was helping. The building was open, including tower climb! (Now that is TWO that we didn't expect to get to climb!) Beautiful sky, some dark clouds. Leaving Lookout we made a slight detour to get a better look at Point No Point light, and mad a brief stop at NAS Pax River.

Kim Andrews was stationed at Calert Maritime Museum (Drum Point). Took the bus to Cove Point where the keeper's quarters were opened as was the base of the tower for a look-see but no climb. Beautiful blue sky and neat clouds continue. Had a picnic lunch at Drum Point before heading up the road to Hooper Strait.

The Chesapeake Maritime Museum folks gave Challenge people a significant break on admission. We arrived here about 5:15 - sky still a beautiful cloudy blue.

Took a brief detour thru downtown Annapolis but with absolutely no parking we kept on going to downtown Baltimore where we had dinner. Spending the night here before finishing the Challenge tomorrow.

Spoke to Dan (Elmer) Drogowski this evening, and they have done the northern lights. They are in Lexington Park this evening and will start at Piney Point, finish at Hooper Strait tomorrow.

Will work on some pics to upload.

Dave

Re: Maryland Challenge this weekend..... #31379 09/16/03 08:38 PM
bonnebert Offline
Hi Dave, we just got back from Bethany Beach, Del, where we were going to vacation for the week, but thanks to Isabel, we headed home to Great Bridge (Chesapeake) Virginia. She was tracking right to our front door. And, they were contemplating evacuation in Ocean City, Md. and the Delaware Seashore. Yes, you did remember right, my name is Joyce, and it was the second time EVER that the tower had been open after the repair to the steps last year. The people at Piney Point were really super, and amazed at the turnout. Was really nice to meet a lot of the Forum people. I'm sure our paths will cross again.

Joyce

Re: Maryland Challenge this weekend..... #31380 09/16/03 11:20 PM
Brent Offline
We had a wonderful time....lots of beautiful clouds, but no rain! Enjoyed meeting Kim at Drum Point... smile

Brent
OBLHS Charter Member

Moderated by  PFC 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,317 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users