Print Thread
Currituck postpones Corolla fence #30927 03/09/05 10:18 AM
Chesapeake Bryan Offline OP
OP Offline

Re: Currituck postpones Corolla fence #30928 03/09/05 11:06 AM
Grover Offline
Bryan,

Thanks once more for the heads up ...

As many of us speculated, the fence was two things ... a very poor bluff and a point of contention within the CCC's own constituency ...

The words of compromise permeate the stories ... an intuitive guess is the lawsuit, while still pending, must also be on tenuous grounds ...

All in all, good day for the OBC ...

Also, how in the world did the CCC get Diane Sawyer to be their spokesperson? smile smile smile

Bryan, thanks again ...

Barry

"Wisdom and Strength are NOT opposing values"
Re: Currituck postpones Corolla fence #30929 03/09/05 07:05 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Good. laugh That's the first time I've used a "happy" smilie in a while while discussing this topic. I'm definitely seeing more yellow and green people in this thread than any other on the subject in a long time.

I really wish I could have a nice, peaceful phone conversation with each of these commisionners. I think that there could be a viable solution to this problem, that makes both parties happy, and does not require lawsuit or sale.

My thought is that CC could aid OBC in constructing these facilities. Not neccessarily financially. But perhaps they could help them to obtain land, rezone one parcel of the land they currently own.

Yes, the nice land would be lost, but I can envision an environmentally friendly parking lot, which requires very few trees to be removed, and almost "hides" the cars. The entryway could be hidden aestetically, but for drivers, easy to see. Once entering the road, a mix of natural materials such as pine needles and dirt, the parking spots are irregularly placed under the trees, making as little of an environmental impact as possible, yet still serving its purpose.

I can see restroom facilities, small but ample buildings styled after the victorian style of the lightstation. These could be on the same parcel.

The entire space would be covered with a tree canopy. Wherever possible, trees would be replanted. The impact on the environment would be minimal, just enough to serve its purpose, but yet will not ruin the beauty of the area.

I agree, they need the parking. What they have right now isn't enough, anyway. And they could use bathrooms - I don't even know where they are right now. But I think that it can be done efficiently, inexpensively, and make both sides happy.

All CC has to do is rezone the best combination of land (least number of parcels, but most efficient parking spacing), and OBC could build these restrooms and parking. If they get moving, the lighthouse could be ready to go with no delays in the season.

BTW....if CC were to buy the lighthouse from OBC, I think they'd find themselves in the same jam. And, after all, as they've said so often, they have to abide by their own regulations!

I'm going to sketch out a bathroom facility. I'll post the design when done.

Re: Currituck postpones Corolla fence #30930 03/10/05 12:04 AM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
It's not about restrooms and parking, Greg, they (CC) want the lighthouse as a cash cow... They weren't there when Currituck Lighthouse needed saving but now they (CC) want the lighthouse after the OBC has raised and spent millions in saving the lighthouse.... Plus endless hours of time and effort have been spent by the OBC over the years..

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: Currituck postpones Corolla fence #30931 03/10/05 12:17 AM
Bob Ott Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Quote:
they (CC) want the lighthouse as a cash cow
You are absolutely correct, Paul. I wouldn't negotiate with the CC in any manner shape or form -- for parking or restroom facilities.

Bedpans are cheap and don't take up much room. laugh

bobo

Re: Currituck postpones Corolla fence #30932 03/10/05 12:29 PM
Brent Offline
I totally agree with what you're saying, Paul, however, I think John Wilson and the OBC are having to face some serious realities here. If the two parties can work out a suitable compromise, it could save the OBC thousands of dollars in legal costs as well as the possibility of some mounting fines.
As distasteful as it sounds, compromise, appears to be the only solution short of taking a big risk of losing what financial reserves they now have.
Unfortunitely, the county's "pockets" are much deeper than the OBC's. And, I think the county would like nothing more than to see the OBC get into a long, protracted court fight.

Brent
OBLHS Charter Member
Re: Currituck postpones Corolla fence #30933 03/10/05 05:57 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I know that CC wants CBL as a cash cow, etc. However, their only way of possibly gaining ownership of it is via this zoning restriction. If OBC is able to build parking and restrooms, then CC has nothing to stand on.

We don't want to see OBC complying with CC, but I think we have to face the reality here. We can stop this now, comply with the county, and yet not lose much. Or, we can keep (unneccisarily) fighting this, go to court over it, and possibly lose the lighthouse as a "prize package".

I think that my idea for an "environmentally friendly" parking and restroom facility works in several ways:
While there are trees, etc. lost in the construction of the lot, it is designed in a way that it minimises impact on the environment as much as possible, and from most perspectives, does not ruin the beauty of the area.

While the land is lost, it was only kept to keep the natural look. If done right, the lot and restrooms can blend in perfectly with the surroundings, with a wall of trees as a "fence", and the smallest possible number of trees cut down (thus making an irregular parking space pattern, squeezing spaces in wherever possible), and having a natural groundcover instead of macadam or concrete. This also cuts down on costs - less to spend on tree removal, and nothing spent on paving.

The restroom building is designed to be in the same style as the station buildings, thus blending in and not looking out of place. Yet it would be modern, efficient, and clean.

I think that they could turn this project not only into one for fixing their needs, but could also set an environmental model that can be used for many other sites.

Stubbornness isn't going to solve this problem. If anything, it's not helping us. Maybe it's time to just make CC happy, build the parking and restrooms, and give them a big "shock factor" along with it that will keep them quiet for a while. laugh

I think there's a moral saying about compromise, and it probably fits in well here.

Re: Currituck postpones Corolla fence #30934 03/10/05 08:20 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Quote:
Originally posted by seagirt:
I know that CC wants CBL as a cash cow, etc. However, their only way of possibly gaining ownership of it is via this zoning restriction. If OBC is able to build parking and restrooms, then CC has nothing to stand on.

Greg,

As we have seen it is not quite that simple with the county commisioners, etc.

I agree with you on one point though- I believe that OBC will have to compromise and use the part of th piece of property that can be developed for parking (and possibly rest rooms).

I think the county will compromise and allow them to continue to utilize the rest rooms that OBC helped finance and the current parking spaces and count them as part of the total required by the county regulations.

This will come about because the commisioners constituents have finally spoken up because they see the writing on the weall- or in their mailbox. They have probably heard from people who are willing to put there money where their principles are- not in Currituck County.

The County Commisioners went one step too far- it was one thing to be messing with those outside agitators- the OBC- but they messed with the honey pot for the community- the visitors who come and drop all that green there. The businessmen who donate to the Commisioners political coffers do not like that. Contrary to what some think money is the key to this fight- not the money the County hopes to get from the Lighthouse but the money the area gets from visitors.

This solution above can be spun as a win for both sides and no loser. Lets hope it or some reasonable facsimile occurrs.

Dennis

Moderated by  PFC 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,317 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users