Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Which Lighthouse Do YOU Work At? #30728 04/29/99 12:01 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I've noticed a few posts from individuals who work/volunteer at a lighthouse.

It would be nice to consolidate that informaiton in one thread.

Please tell us which lighthouse, what you do/did, days you work, how you got involved, etc.

Re: Which Lighthouse Do YOU Work At? #30729 04/29/99 03:19 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have been involved with Hudson River lighthouses for about ten years now. I belong to all four lighthouse organizations of the upper Hudson (Hudson-Athens Lighthouse Preservation Society, Saugerties Lighthouse Conservancy, Hudson River Maritime Museum(Rondout Lighthouse), and Save The Esopus Lighthouse Commission. Most of my work has been with the Rondout lighthouse in Kingston and the Hudson-Athens lighthouse where I have helped with restoration, giving tours, and historical research. Currently I am the group historian for the Hudson-Athens Lighthouse as well as the "official lightkeeper", an honor bestowed on me at our last meeting. These lighthouses are about an hour or so from where I live, so everytime that I go to them it involves a two hour round trip just in driving time plus the time spent there. It all adds up to about 20-25 trips a year spending from 4 to 8 hours each time, plus the countless hours I work at home doing research and planning. But it is all quite interesting and a lot of fun as well as work. I consider myself fortunate to be able to work at a hobbie that I love so dearly.

"the lightkeeper"

[This message has been edited by thelgtkpr (edited 05-04-99).]

Re: Which Lighthouse Do YOU Work At? #30730 04/30/99 08:43 AM
Lighthousedude Offline
Hello John,

Last October I visited the Fire Island Lighthouse and after the tour I decided I wanted to join the Preservation Society. On the application they asked if you wanted to volunteer so I checked yes.
I assist with tower tours either on Saturday or Sunday one weekend a month. We do a couple of tours a day.

Re: Which Lighthouse Do YOU Work At? #30731 05/03/99 01:46 AM
L
ladylightkeeper Offline
L
Yes, I think it would be very interesting to have a list of volunteer workers at lighthouses. I would very much like to have contact with any workers at any lighthouses in New England. I am always researching ideas for programs and speakers, and I know our club members would enjoy hearing a talk put on by such a volunteer, describing their duties and daily routine. If you know of someone who does volunteer in New England, would you please let me know at ladylightkeeper@webtv.net address for spring through fall. Winter address is ladylighthkeeper@dixie-net.com

Thank you. Barbara Hupp, Chairperson
New England Lighthouse Lovers NELL
formerly called The New England Harbour Lights Club.

ladylightkeeper

Moderated by  PFC 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,980
Posts184,642
Members2,583
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,177 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
coloradolights, PortageRivrLight, DenizensofDeep, Rtubbs, SafeHarbor
2583 Registered Users