Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
What's your next Lighthousing Trip? #30601 01/31/00 02:30 PM
rscroope Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Can be factual or fantasy! Time to lighten up this Forum and get back to some fun topics. It's easier for some of you Southern or Western members to help us Northerners, THINK LIGHTHOUSING! Yes, I know everybody been getting crazy weather but let's use our imaginations, and break us out of our cabin fever!

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: What's your next Lighthousing Trip? #30602 01/31/00 03:51 PM
Weasel58 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I hope to either go to the Panhandle of Florida, or visit a a few North and South Carolina Lights. If I had the money or my Dad (who is a private pilot) would move to Florida I would fly over the Florida Key lights.

Eric
Re: What's your next Lighthousing Trip? #30603 01/31/00 04:54 PM
FrankB Offline
This June I will be going to Fort Worth to visit my brothers and will be taking my parents with me. The plan at this point (subject to change) is to take 3 to 4 days for all of us to go to Houston and Galveston. (We lived in Galveston when I was in 5th grade. Don't ask how LONG ago that was!) This will give us a chance to see the Galveston Jetty lighthouse, the lighthouse exhibit in the Galveston County Historical Museum, and to ride the Bolivar ferry once again to see the Bolivar Point lighthouse.

FrankB

FrankB
Re: What's your next Lighthousing Trip? #30604 01/31/00 08:03 PM
Todd Shorkey Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I will be going to the Traverse City, MI area for a week in June. Marla and I will be tent camping at the State Park. We will be hitting Old Mission Point, Grand Traverse, Point Betsie, Charlivoix Pier, the Manitou Island Lights and hopefully others.

We always look forward to our camping trips. We just cross our fingers for good weather. (we do love our tent camping. it's the only way to camp)

-Todd

Re: What's your next Lighthousing Trip? #30605 01/31/00 08:35 PM
R
Rod Watson Offline
Saint
Saint
R
Todd,
If you need a reasonable charter boat for the Manitou lights, I have the name of the guy we chartered to take us out to them. Nice guy at a reasonable price. Of course, if you ferry out to South Manitou for the day, it will take you by them too.

Re: What's your next Lighthousing Trip? #30606 01/31/00 09:21 PM
RezmanDale Offline
I'll be going in two weeks to San Francisco Bay area to see Santa Cruz(Abbott Memorial), Point Montara, Pidgeon Point and Point Bonita. Can't wait. Am also planning an outerbanks trip Memorial Day!

Dale

Re: What's your next Lighthousing Trip? #30607 02/01/00 03:26 AM
T
tnkeeper Offline
T
Hubby and I are planning an Outer Banks trip this fall.
I have been in the "Map Room" for the last hour
reading the posts of other fellow travelers to this area.
What a wonderful wealth of info!
Special thanks to DaveH, Pam, Art and Medicman for
sharing their experiences and tips with us.

Debbie

Re: What's your next Lighthousing Trip? #30608 02/01/00 03:44 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
I should be in the Long Island area sometime in April or May for a client meeting and am looking forward to stealing a few extra days in that area lighthousing. Looking forward also to hooking up with all our great LI LH resource people then.

I also have a life-long friend who lives in CT and owns a Cessna 210. He's promised we can get up and see some of the off-shore lights around Long Island sound so this could be a great trip.

And of course I'm planning to be on the Outer Banks for CH's official reopening on Memorial day and for the week following. It will be the first time on the Outer Banks since the mid 70's (pre-lighthouse days for me).

Re: What's your next Lighthousing Trip? #30609 02/01/00 09:04 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
On a nice day when it's not snowing and my 700' private road is clear I'm going to try to do a little "sleuthing" by going up to Oswego, NY to look for the Keeper's house for the original light (1822).

Mombo
Lighthouse Sleuth

Re: What's your next Lighthousing Trip? #30610 02/02/00 02:04 AM
lmyhre Offline
Wacko
Wacko
My wife and I are leaving tomorrow for Hawaii. Normally we don't spend any time on Oahu, but this trip we added in two days for the purpose of lighthousing. We plan to see Diamond Head, Makapuu and Barbers Point. Then we are going to both Maui and Kauai where we will hope to see several including Kilauea and Nawiliwili.

Aloha,

Larry

Re: What's your next Lighthousing Trip? #30611 02/02/00 11:37 AM
R
Rod Watson Offline
Saint
Saint
R
Going to do a long weekend to Niagara Falls & Canada in May, including 10 lights along the way (7 new ones)

Chartered a boat for July to Toledo Harbor Light, West Sister Island Light, and Turtle Island Light in the Toledo, Oh area. (along with the Manhattan Range Lights on shore)

Doing another long vacation in August to MD, DE, NJ, NY (Long Island, Staten Island, Hudson River), and CT. Intitial plans are to see 37 lights (33 new ones), 1 lightship, and climb SOL. Planning on 3 different cruises, and 3 different ferries to see offshore lights. Looking forward to the 4 hour Delaware Bay cruise to see Ship John Shoal and others up close. It's planning out to be a neat vacation so far.

May do a couple one day "quickies" to some Ohio Lights again this year also.

My goal from 4 years ago has been to hit 50 lights per year. Will be cutting it close this year.

[This message has been edited by Rod Watson (edited 03-12-2000).]

Re: What's your next Lighthousing Trip? #30612 02/02/00 10:38 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
i'm in the process of making plans for my California trip. I will be flying into San diego and definitely going to Old/ New Point Loma and then drive as far up the coast as I can stopping at as many LH's as I can fit in. I will definitely get to some near LA and San Francisco and inbetween. I'm not sure how far above San Francisco I'll get, but I'm going to shoot for Crescent City. If all goes well I should make it to 25 or so on the trip. Dennis

Re: What's your next Lighthousing Trip? #30613 02/03/00 01:49 AM
N
Nana Offline
N
Lighthouse trip? Let me get a few things in my carryon and I will be ready....

May--Outer Banks and Virginia lights I haven't seen

June--Bob, are there any seats left for the LI trip?
The three Florida lights I haven't seen. Try to see Dufuskie...know anyone?

July--A return trip to the West Coast. This time I am going inside Bonita, Reyes, Arena, Crescent City, Pt. Arago...then I want to revisit Yerba Buena and fly over St. Georges. I plan on seeing all of the Oregon lights again and plan it so I can get inside them and fly over Tillamook. I already have two nights scheduled at Heceta Head.

I just got a new SWA credit card and plan on getting lots of free trips on it from buying HL lighthouses.

Derith

PS Dale, Do you have time to see Yerba Buena? I have a contact if you are interested.

[This message has been edited by Nana (edited 02-02-2000).]

Re: What's your next Lighthousing Trip? #30614 02/15/00 09:00 PM
greed Offline
Well, unfortunatley I can only check the site out once in awhile, so... The wife and I are going to West Quoddy and Bass Head Harbor and some in between this week-end. Hope it's not to cold...........
---------THE R---------

Re: What's your next Lighthousing Trip? #30615 02/21/00 02:18 PM
Brent Offline
In April I plan on heading back down to the Outer Banks for a few days in order to satisify my need for a "Lighthouse-Fix" that seems to occur "all too often"...LOL! Then I'm planning a 10-day vacation up in Maine. But the big event of the latter part of the summer is a family-reunion in Michigan where many of our family members have boats...and we hope to head for Charity Island and spend the day near the old Charity Island Lighthouse. Hopefully, next summer (2001) we'll be heading out to the Pacific Northwest where my daughter lives....'haven't seen many West Coast "Lights", so far.

------------------
Brent

Brent
OBLHS Charter Member
Re: What's your next Lighthousing Trip? #30616 02/22/00 03:28 AM
P
Polly Offline
P
We just got back from our "next" trip! We went South this weekend in hopes of seeing a new light, Point Hueneme. A web page www.west.net/~pamass/htmfiles/cal16.htm gave us directions on how to reach the lighthouse once in Port Hueneme. The web page also mentions that the lighthouse must be view from outside a chain link fence because it sits inside a city maintenance yard. Imagine how delighted we were when we noticed the gate was open. We now have some "fence free" photos of the Point Hueneme Lighthouse from all sides what a treat!! If I can fix my off-color scanner I'll post photos.

PS - If any of you have ever had trouble pronouncing the name of a lighthouse, you might chuckle at my very incorrect attempt . . .

I stopped at AAA asking for map to Port Hueneme. I told her I wasn't positive of the pronunciation but thought it was either "Port Hugh-na-mez" or "Port Hugh-nem-ess" (I don't know why I put the s or z at the end?!?). After much searching she gave me a map with Port Hueneme which is pronounced "Port Why-nee-mee"!

Polly

[This message has been edited by Polly (edited 02-22-2000).]

Re: What's your next Lighthousing Trip? #30617 02/22/00 10:38 AM
Lighthousedude Offline
My next lighthousing trip (aside from visiting one or more of my beloved L.I.Lights during my travels) will be to Gibbs Hill Light in Bermuda during the month of May.

Has any one out there been to this light??

Re: What's your next Lighthousing Trip? #30618 02/24/00 12:34 AM
lmyhre Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Mike ;

I was at Gibbs Hill several years ago and it is worth a visit. It is open to visitors and you can climb to the top - fantastic view of Bermuda from there. The lighthouse is very impressive because it is cast iron (or steel) and is quite tall. Enjoy!

Larry

Re: What's your next Lighthousing Trip? #30619 02/24/00 02:11 AM
N
NiagaraLady Offline
N
Just a month ago we visited Amelia Island,
St. Augustine and Ponce de Leon. Throughout the summer we'll take day trips to Ft. Niagara, Buffalo, and 30 Mile Point. And I
just know we could squeeze in a long weekend of lighthousing if I mention the word golf course nearby!

Re: What's your next Lighthousing Trip? #30620 02/28/00 05:31 PM
navyelt Offline
I am getting married in April and for our honeymoon we are going to Bermuda. Going to see Gibbs Hill and St. Georges lighthouses!

In July we are going to Maine to see Bass Harbor, hopefully Goat Island and Rockland. Then we are going to Yarmouth, Nova Scotia to see Cape Forchu and Peggy's Cove at the minimum.

Re: What's your next Lighthousing Trip? #30621 03/12/00 07:19 AM
chris g Offline
Wacko
Wacko
It has been so much fun reading all of these posts to see how everyone has planned their trips to see LH. On our trip south last August, I managed to get in 3 LH (Tybee, Cockspur and St. Augustine). That may not sound like much, but a year ago I wouldn't have even given it a thought!
This summer we are heading to Houston so I hope to be able to squeeze in a light or two on this trip.
I know that some day I will be as "wacko" as the rest of you and actually plan lighthouse trips, but for now, my favorite LH trip is to my local Harbour Lights dealer and take a "mini vacation" while visiting all the LH in his showcase! (LOL).
It's nice to know all of you folks and hear about your adventures. Maybe someday we will be able to meet!
chris

Chris G
Re: What's your next Lighthousing Trip? #30622 03/12/00 10:46 AM
Digger Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Family will be heading to the Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area in June to celebrate parents 50th. Don't imagine I'll be running into any lighthouses there. Of course if I go to Popcorn Sutton's junkyard again you never know what you'll find! Anyone from the area will know what I'm talking about.

Re: What's your next Lighthousing Trip? #30623 03/13/00 02:12 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have the great fortune to visit San Francisco the second week of April. My tour guide promises visits to at least 6 lights! She also works for the Golden Gate transportation system, so I am getting a visit to the top of the Golden Gate north tower. I am very excited!!

Ned

Re: What's your next Lighthousing Trip? #30624 03/13/00 02:16 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Almost forgot... I'm going to MA in June. Last November I visited Stonington CT and Pt Judith RI. I hope to be better prepared to visit some MA lights, and possibly Beavertail RI, which I missed out on the last trip.

Ned

Re: What's your next Lighthousing Trip? #30625 03/13/00 04:28 AM
RezmanDale Offline
My next trip is the Memorial unvailing of Hatteras on the Move. Hope my FMS eases up some so I can make the trip.

Plan to fly innto Baltimore and work our way down seeing as many lights a possible. Can't wait!

Dale |:+{)

Re: What's your next Lighthousing Trip? #30626 03/13/00 01:54 PM
JohnL Offline
Wacko
Wacko
I might be heading up to the Carolina's around Memorial Day.

I have a tripped planned to Mississippi in October, so I will probably check out the Lighthouse in Biloxi.

Haven't been able to see too many lately, but I will make up for it this summer

Wave after wave will flow in the tide and bury the world as it does.
Re: What's your next Lighthousing Trip? #30627 03/14/00 12:44 AM
N
Nana Offline
N
Hi John,

We are still waiting for you to come to one of our meetings. Bill YOunger is going to be there on the 7th of August. It's up on a thread in this forum.

We are also taking a trip out to Anclote Key to see the lighthouse there. Not positive of the date, but may be during first weekend of June.
Derith

Moderated by  PFC 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Rock), 848 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users