Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Cape Henlopen replica #30252 07/21/00 01:27 AM
wheland Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
I'm not sure this is the correct place for this post, but here goes. Ther was some discussion last month of the possibillity that the State of Deleware was going to build a replica of Cape Henlopen. i was onebay earlier looking for lighthouse postcards and found an interesting one.

It shows a replica, apparently not full size, of Cape Henlopen and is dated as being in the mid 40's. Does anybody know anything about this? It's listed as being somewhere in Rehobeth Beach, DE. Here's the web address for it http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=386123601

I hope that works. I hope someone can shed some light on this.

Dennis

Re: Cape Henlopen replica #30253 07/21/00 02:13 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Interesting picture, Dennis. Kind of makes it look like it is in someone's backyard or garden. Looks like a painting so maybe it is a 'fantasy' type picture?

Dave

Re: Cape Henlopen replica #30254 07/21/00 08:59 AM
R
Rod Watson Offline
Saint
Saint
R
I thought I read somewhere on a Delaware travel site about the attempt to rebuild Cape Henlopen, then it had some off hand remark about possibly tearing down the existing replica. I can't remember what site it was from, but I thought it was some typo since I had never heard about the replica before. We are traveling to that area in late August, if anyone else knows anything about it, please post! Would love to snap a photo if it still exists.
[This message has been edited by Rod Watson (edited 07-21-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Rod Watson (edited 07-21-2000).]

Re: Cape Henlopen replica #30255 07/21/00 01:13 PM
wheland Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Rod,

I sent an email to the seller asking if there was any specific info on the card about it actual location. There is a gold shield area on the front that appears to say something, but you can't tell what.

Hopefully there will be something he can tell us. If I find out anything I'll post it.

Dennis

Re: Cape Henlopen replica #30256 07/21/00 06:00 PM
wheland Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Got an answer, but it does not help much- The shield says the Following: Replica Henlopen Lighthouse Built
> 1725
> Rebuilt By Merchants of Philadelphia and Delaware 1764 Destroyed by
> Storm
> 4/13/1926. That the only other info I can get from this card.

Mike got back to me very quickly, but it does not help solve the mystery. I went to about 15 websites looking for any mention of this. i had no luck. I'll keep looking.

Dennis

Re: Cape Henlopen replica #30257 07/21/00 11:59 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
This site also features the same card: http://www.rehoboth.com/earlyscenes11.asp

Maybe the owner of the card, who is mentioned, would know something of it. The site has a "contact us" option. Could start there.

Lighthouse Sleuth

Re: Cape Henlopen replica #30258 07/22/00 01:00 AM
wheland Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
I was at that site earlier today. I missed the topic early scenes. I went back and sent a request for information on how to contact Mr. Broadbent or to have him contact me.

I also included the reason, so I may get an answer from someone in Rehobeth Beach. I'll keep you posted.

Sorry about not seeing that earlier. Thanks for the assist.

Dennis

Re: Cape Henlopen replica #30259 07/22/00 09:12 PM
wheland Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
I got a slight shock when I returned to the HL website- pictures of Ponce de Leon, FL. The reason will be revealed shortly.

I got a reply from Alan Broadbent. Unfortunately, he shed very little light and possibly more confusion on to the subject. He never saw the replica in the postcard. He knows it was somewhere in Rehoboth at some point. He does also recall a much smaller replica of Cape Henlopen that was in the median of the highway entering Rehoboth. I'm unsure if this is from the north or the south.

This may be the replica alluded to earlier by Rod , or it may be that the replica in the garden is the one in the article. I'm going to keep looking and I hope others can shed some light on the subject.

Now to the shock. Along with the email reply from Al he sent me three pictures that he took of a lighthouse near his new home. He took the pictures as he was flying over in a UH-1 Huey helicopter that he is the crew chief on.

They were of Ponce de Leon, FL. Here they are, so you can see for yourselves. Synchronicity. Where's Sting when you need him.

As I said they are not my pictures no matter what the sign says.

Dennis

[This message has been edited by wheland (edited 07-23-2000).]

Re: Cape Henlopen replica #30260 07/23/00 12:20 AM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Why am I not understanding this Dennis?

Re: Cape Henlopen replica #30261 07/23/00 11:46 AM
wheland Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Mombo,
I can only guess as to what it is that is confusing. could it have something to do with the fact that I can't spell. I fixed it, but what I meant to write was " Synchronicity- Where's Sting when you need him"

I was just trying to be a jokester. Sting was the lead singer in a group called the Police. They had an album called "Synchronicity" and the title song was a hit for them .

I thought it was a coincidental occurrence of events- receiving pictures of Ponce Inlet the same day it was being used as the picture you see when you go to the HL site. So, I tried to be witty. It apparently did not work as I intended. Hope this explanation helps clear up the confusion.

I'm going to keep looking for info on the Cape Henlopen replica.

Re: Cape Henlopen replica #30262 07/23/00 02:07 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Was it 'Serendipity' you were thinking of?

[This message has been edited by JChidester (edited 07-23-2000).]

Re: Cape Henlopen replica #30263 07/23/00 08:05 PM
wheland Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
No Synchronicity is the term I intended to use. The Webster's Dictionary lists as one definition " the coincidental occurrence of events" . Hence, I found it to be an example of Synchronicity that between the two times that I accessed the Harbour Lights site that the opening picture had changed to the same lighthouse that I was about to post pictures of after recieving them in response to a mesage sent asking about a topic on the site.

Serendipity would also work, but I could not have made the crack about Sting . I, as I said before, was trying to be witty. I forgot that if the reference you are using is not universal enough the point may not be taken as it is intended.

I was just trying to be in the same vein as is often used on these forums- humorous, but it did not work as I intended. Sorry. I'll try harder next time.

Dennis

[This message has been edited by wheland (edited 07-23-2000).]

Re: Cape Henlopen replica #30264 07/23/00 08:21 PM
wheland Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
John,

Now here is a real case of Synchronicity / Serendpiity. Check out this topic http://www.lighthousekeepers.com/forums/Forum1/HTML/000796.html

Talk about strange coincidences- two topics usinf the same unusual concept being posted on the same day.

Dennis

Re: Cape Henlopen replica #30265 07/24/00 12:45 AM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Well, I know who Sting is but not well enough to be familiar with the name of the album, however you spell it.

I did see the photos of Ponce on the HL site but I thought the ones you received and posted were supposed to have something, like wrong with them. When I looked at them I thought they looked fine.

I tried to look that word you used up in my mini dictionary and couldn't find it and...her's another one of those syncronicity deals. This afternoon I was reading when I came upon this line, "This was greeted by a round of applause and sycophantic laughter"!

Re: Cape Henlopen replica #30266 07/24/00 02:44 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Now a sycophant I thought was one who gains or tries to gain psychic stature by associating themself with someone who has stature or power.

Politicians always have a lot of sycophants around them. People who are 'somebody' because they shared the stage with the senator when he was in town.

My MS Word Thesaurus comes up with 'toady' and 'flatterer' as synonyms. But I think we all know other terms to call 'em.

Re: Cape Henlopen replica #30267 07/24/00 10:43 AM
Torchbearer Offline
Do I smell a new pin coming out? Psychophant 2001... has an interesting ring to it.

Tim - Keeping the flame lit...

Re: Cape Henlopen replica #30268 07/24/00 10:56 AM
wheland Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Has anybody seen a thread? We seem to have lost one.

This group is great for two things- having intelligent discussions on important topics and having even longer intelligent discussions on topics that have nothing to do with what the topic started with.

But it's fun and I like it.

Dennis

Re: Cape Henlopen replica #30269 08/04/00 06:47 PM
R
Rod Watson Offline
Saint
Saint
R
The mystery is solved! The below dates are as close as I can get right now.

A fairly close replica of Cape Henlopen lighthouse tower (with a few extra windows) was built in 1925 as part of a realtor's office property, on the first block of Rehoboth Avenue. It was eventually donated to the city for restoration, and moved up Rehoboth Avenue to just over the drawbridge (coming in from the north).

The replica was then torn down in the early 1990's under alot of protest. It was rebuilt yet again as an exact replica in 1996, also at 1/3 scale. The new replica cost $15,000, along with countless hours donated from city employees and volunteers. A few years before the new replica was built, the original town train station from 1879 was donated to the city, and also moved to the site. The station was completely restored, and is now the Chamber of Commerce at 501 Rehoboth Avenue. Both are now side by side and still standing!

The replica is not open for climbing, and I have not seen any pictures of it yet.

While researching the area for our trip in a few weeks, I received a brochure from a Best Western motel in Dewey Beach, just a few miles south of the replica light. To my surprise, a lighthouse was in the picture. I found out the lighthouse was part of a restaurant named "Crabber's Cove". I called the restaurant and talked to the owner. He built the lighthouse, along with the restaurant in 1978. It is not active in any way, but he occasionally lets patrons climb it (as will I !)

If you ever head down to view the replica, don't forget to stop at Crabber's Cove for a bite and see their light too! Below is a portion of the Best Western brochure, showing the light (FYI: the Best Western is the yellow highlighted building).

Rod Watson
[This message has been edited by Rod Watson (edited 08-04-2000).]

Re: Cape Henlopen replica #30270 08/04/00 07:07 PM
wheland Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Rod,

Thanks for the information. It's always nice to solve a mystery.

I'm going to be in Delaware in October for a store event and I'll look the replicas up while i'm there, if not before.

Dennis

Moderated by  PFC 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 694 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users