Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sunrise at Fire Island Lighthouse #30244 01/31/00 11:48 AM
rscroope Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Who said you can't go lighthousing in the winter? Thanks to the efforts of Wildbird and Tony & Barbara from the FILH, a small group of people were able to enjoy watching the sunrise from the top of Fire Island Lighthouse.
When you first here about it, it sounds like a good idea. Then you have to drag yourself out of bed in the dark and make the trek.
MaryAnn and I did just that on Sunday and were vastly rewarded by a beautiful sunrise.
Access to the light in a small group was a treat, and meeting and remeeting the fellow pharologists(LOL - couldn't resist Bob Muller) was terrific too.
Well it was 19 degrees but no wind. The climb of 192 steps warmed every one up, and no one seemed to notice the cold "as the sun spit sunshine onto the earth"(Owl and Pussycat 1970)LOL.
Seriously, every one enjoyed the view. I did not even need gloves while taking digital video and snapping pictures.
MaryAnn has now climbed her highest LH, so I told her Cape Hatteras is only a few feet higher so they'll be no more excuses! I think she's getting hooked!
FILH is scheduling another sunrise climb for the day before Valentines Day, and I think
Tony would do one anytime he can get a group of 15.
Here's some views from another day! http://www.lighthousekeepers.com/forums/Forum5/HTML/000136.html
Contact Bob Muller at wildbird99@aol.com
Fire Island at http://www.516web.com/museum/filps/direct.htm

------------------
Long Island BOB

[This message has been edited by rscroope (edited 01-31-2000).]

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Sunrise at Fire Island Lighthouse #30245 01/31/00 01:52 PM
Art Offline
Quote:
Who said you can't go lighthousing in the winter?

I certainly wasn't me, Bob! I love going in the winter. You avoid the big crowds, and sometimes don't see anyone else at all. It's the only time anymore that you can get a sense of the serenity and isolation that must have been characteristic of many lighthouses in their heyday. The only downside is that most publicly accessible lighthouses are closed during the winter months.

Sounds like a good time. Hope you intend to post the photos.

------------------
-Art

-Art
Re: Sunrise at Fire Island Lighthouse #30246 01/31/00 07:57 PM
Todd Shorkey Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Lighthousing? Winter? It certainly wasn't me who said you couldn't do it. I thrive on winter lighthousing. Just see my icy adventure post in this forum.

Seriously though, Thanks Bob for sharing your story with us. Sounds like it was a great time for all.

-Todd

Re: Sunrise at Fire Island Lighthouse #30247 02/01/00 01:56 AM
DeDo Offline
Hi Bob,

Sunrise from any lighthouse sounds great. We also like winter lighthousing. We climbed Fire Island last Feb. on a windy, cloudy day.
My boys said it was the best lighthouse tour we've ever taken. Of course having Tony as our guide & just the four of us made it special.
It is strange, I have millions of photos at sunset, but none at sunrise. A new challenge!

Donna

Re: Sunrise at Fire Island Lighthouse #30248 02/02/00 02:44 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Bob,
Look at the positive side of things- sunrise is later in the winter so you really did get to sleep in when compared to enjoying a summer time sunrise!

We did a winter trip to the SW Michigan lights a couple years ago and had a wonderful day to visit. Really interesting walking out very ice encrusted piers to get right to the light!

Dave

Re: Sunrise at Fire Island Lighthouse #30249 03/21/00 12:12 PM
rscroope Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Finally developed the pictures from that day!

Sunrise Relecting Off the Ice Covered Tower at Fire Island Lighthouse
The back

Sunrise from the Top of the Fire Island Lighthouse Tower
The back

------------------
Long Island BOB

[This message has been edited by rscroope (edited 03-21-2000).]

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Sunrise at Fire Island Lighthouse #30250 03/21/00 12:33 PM
Brent Offline
Thanks Bob! I really enjoyed your story and photographs. Some of the best LH photos that I've taken are in the winter. I used to live near Tawas Point (Mich.) and would get up before sunrise, just after a fresh snow fell, and try to capture some unique winter shots. It was really beautiful out there....and, most of the time, there wasn't a soul around (except the Coast Guard families that lived on-site). Thanks, again, for sharing that story......B

Brent
OBLHS Charter Member
Re: Sunrise at Fire Island Lighthouse #30251 03/21/00 02:57 PM
Pat PalmerBall Offline
Bob...Great Photos. Thanks for sharing. So Tranquil.

KYKEEPER - Pat

Moderated by  PFC 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 801 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users