cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
(Cape) St. George Lighthouse Lighthouse Association meeting #30086 07/16/06 06:49 PM
ericlighthouse Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Since I was in town and they needed to have a meeting anyway, the group agreed to have the meeting Saturday evening (after the Florida Lighthouse Association meeting and tour of San Blas).

Dennis, our President, has cleaned up the good pieces of the lantern room bird cage and is looking into places to replicate the broken pieces. He also clean up the pedestal for the light (it only has slight damage).

We are trying to nail down the site for the lighthouse and progress is being made.

We still have signed limited edition prints left (for a $75.00 donation - tax deductable of course). T- shirts (which are selling well) and decals are also available) See website http://www.stgeorgelight.org/merchandise.asp

Terry, our Secretary, showed off her WACKO badge I ordered for her, to the board. laugh I told the board about the progress so far.

Kathy Fleming, from St. Augustine Lighthouse and one of her staff will visit in August to tell us how to treat the metal for salt.

Later this year we will most likely have another concert, to raise funds.

Eric, Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation; Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse; member and District Commissioner of Florida Lighthouse Association et el
Re: (Cape) St. George Lighthouse Lighthouse Association meeting #30087 07/16/06 08:50 PM
beachcomber Offline
Another good report, Eric! Thanks for all your efforts to help Cape St. George and Jones Point. Keep us posted. Who knows? Some of us may even end up helping with the work at Cape St. George! Wouldn't it be great to have a Wacko Team helping with restoration of some of these lights?! cool

beachcomber
Re: (Cape) St. George Lighthouse Lighthouse Association meeting #30088 07/16/06 10:12 PM
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Funny you should mention that Grace. They been doing a little work on the bricks but decided to work on other things until it gets cooler. Perhaps we could have a brick party later.

Eric, Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation; Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse; member and District Commissioner of Florida Lighthouse Association et el
Re: (Cape) St. George Lighthouse Lighthouse Association meeting #30089 07/16/06 11:48 PM
beachcomber Offline
That's a terrific idea! Just as long as it doesn't coincide with the Maine trip. smile

beachcomber
Re: (Cape) St. George Lighthouse Lighthouse Association meeting #30090 07/17/06 10:18 PM
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
They have an event that weekend already and I will be on the Maine Trip too (all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy).

Re: (Cape) St. George Lighthouse Lighthouse Association meeting #30091 07/17/06 10:49 PM
beachcomber Offline
I'm glad to know you will be in Maine. The plan is for me to fly to Virginia and drive with Judy Castleberry the rest of the way. I wonder who else will be there?

beachcomber
Re: (Cape) St. George Lighthouse Lighthouse Association meeting #30092 07/18/06 02:36 AM
Brindfan Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Eric,

How about this for a fundraising idea, an "Adopt a Brick" program. Seul Choix lighthouse in Michigan does this. For $35.00 you can "adopt" a brick in the lighthouse tower. They then send you an adoption certificate and they put your name on a brass name plate that is placed on a wall in their museum.

They also have an "Adopt a Step" program. For $1000 you adopt one of the steps to the top of the tower. People who adopt steps get an adoption certificate and a large brass name plate is attached to the actual step that they have adopted.

Just thought I'd offer it as a suggestion.

Re: (Cape) St. George Lighthouse Lighthouse Association meeting #30093 07/18/06 08:39 PM
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
That is a good idea. Once we have the site secured I will bring it up to the rest of the board.

Re: (Cape) St. George Lighthouse Lighthouse Association meeting #30094 07/18/06 09:13 PM
Brindfan Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Then I will be first in line to adopt a brick. smile

Re: (Cape) St. George Lighthouse Lighthouse Association meeting #30095 07/19/06 02:12 AM
beachcomber Offline
A lot of Wackos have their names on bricks at different lighthouses, so why not Cape St. George? The brick project continues to grow! cool I want my name on one of those that I will be cleaning up, too! smile

beachcomber
Re: (Cape) St. George Lighthouse Lighthouse Association meeting #30096 07/19/06 09:09 AM
Shortcake Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Eric,

Keep us posted if either of these ideas come to pass. I would be up to driving over and spending a weekend cleaning bricks. Would also be apt to Adopt or buy a brick or two as well.

Good Luck on convenceing the board of these ideas!

Stephanie

God may have created man before woman,
but there is always a rough draft before the masterpiece.
Re: (Cape) St. George Lighthouse Lighthouse Association meeting #30097 07/19/06 01:37 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Do keep us posted. The adoption ideas can work with a lot of things, too. Steps, bricks, lantern room panes, prisms (like we did with Point Sur a while back). You can raise a LOT of money with them.

And the brick problem's no issue, in this case. You could tie the rebuilding effort and the brick adoption thing together in some creative way, too, I bet....I just have to think how.

Thinking of fundraising ideas can be a lot of fun. If you think of something different than usual...maybe even a little offbeat...you may even end up with people who do it because it's different from any other fundraising thing.

I don't have any ideas for that, either.

Re: (Cape) St. George Lighthouse Lighthouse Association meeting #30098 07/19/06 10:26 PM
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Well Greg, I thought of Yellow bricks...so you could follow the yellow brick road and see OZ (Cape St. George Lighthouse rebuilt). My wife thought it was a goofy idea.

Re: (Cape) St. George Lighthouse Lighthouse Association meeting #30099 07/19/06 10:29 PM
beachcomber Offline
Susan is a very sensible person. Yellow brick road. :rolleyes:

beachcomber

Moderated by  PFC 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,980
Posts184,642
Members2,583
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,553 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
coloradolights, PortageRivrLight, DenizensofDeep, Rtubbs, SafeHarbor
2583 Registered Users